Question About Plasma Cam and Bumper Fab - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Question About Plasma Cam and Bumper Fab

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Question About Plasma Cam and Bumper Fab

I plan on fabbing a front bumper out of 3/16" Plate steel. I like the XRC Style of bumpers but I want to create my own version. My friend has a plasma cam cutting system and he said he'll do the cutting for a small fee. Now I know most of the time in these situations you start off with cardboard patterns then you transfer them on to steel. When using a plasma cam system, how do you get the cardboard patterns onto the computer for the plasma cam?

krazymatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Scanner I believe.
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Either measure them out and enter the dimensions..

or take a digital pic from above, import the JPEG into the CAD, trace it out and scale it to size. That's usually pretty quick..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. That should be pretty simple then. Is there any advice I should follow as far as building this style of bumper nice and strong? I know the easiest way to make a tough bumper is to use a piece of 2x5" rectangular tubing, but that's to plain for my tastes. I know it will be a bit tougher to make a strong bumper out of plate steel. Any advice is welcome. THanks...
Unread 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Steel plate bumpers can be stronger that tubing bumpers Depends on the design and how well the welds are. remember The more triangulation you have the stronger it will be.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Just make sure to run a flap disk along the plasma cut edges to remove all traces of the plasma dross. Otherwise, you'll run into porousity pinholes when you start grinding the welds down... ask me how I know..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 04-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Just make sure to run a flap disk along the plasma cut edges to remove all traces of the plasma dross. Otherwise, you'll run into porousity pinholes when you start grinding the welds down... ask me how I know..
I haven't decided for sure if i'll use the pc to cut the metal. My friend was telling me about some f the isues. I might be better off using the grinder or cutoff wheel. I'll see.
Unread 04-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I've got a plasma table.. if given the choice, I'd use it to cut everything.. everytime. It is that much better.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 04-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymatt View Post
I haven't decided for sure if i'll use the pc to cut the metal. My friend was telling me about some f the isues. I might be better off using the grinder or cutoff wheel. I'll see.
As BESRK said, absolutely no way! You will not get a better, straighter, more accurate cut then the CNC.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a plasma cam table and the easiest way for you would be to grab deminsions from each piece and design it manually in the system. Pictures, tracing, and correct size gets really tough with the pcam software.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I started laying out some cardboard to get an idea for my front bumper, and man it's tough to get the cardboard to stay the way you want it. It's getting discouraging real fast especially when this is all new to me. I've used cardboard patterns to reinforce a frame but building a cardboard bumper is another story.
Unread 05-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
KMD
1976 CJ7 

You need the thin single layer cardboard not the coragated stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.