Question about MIG settings/technique - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Question about MIG settings/technique

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Welds

Hi, 45 on the bevel, less than 1/16" for a land and about 1/8" gap between the pieces. You will never penetrate otherwise. If you do, you are going to have some dog ugly welds.

hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmantractors View Post
Hi, 45 on the bevel, less than 1/16" for a land and about 1/8" gap between the pieces. You will never penetrate otherwise. If you do, you are going to have some dog ugly welds.
I was just having a discussion with my pipe welder buddy about this general idea.. I was saying that nothing beats a good tight fit-up if you can penetrate through the material thickness like on .120 wall tubing on a rollcage, but that a properly gapped set-up is easier to get 100% penetration on with thicker material.
You won't get 100% penetration on most things, and often it's not required, either. There's some give and take, it depends on what's being welded, like if you're welding a bracket on and both sides of the weldment will have weld, then that's just as fine and dandy.
Unread 11-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Welds

If you are going to do a one sided weld then I would gap. If you can do a backside weld as well, then, I would back grind the material and do a proper 100% weld. I will admit I come from a pipe background.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.