Question about MIG settings/technique - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Question about MIG settings/technique

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Question about MIG settings/technique

Hola JF,

So I had some time today and some 1/4" hot roll plate scraps to play with, so I set up the miller 211 on 230v with 75/25 and .035 solid.

After several passes at various settings and using various techniques (stringer, weave overhand circles/weave underhand, whip, etc), this is the best I could come up with:

image-2184626666.jpg

image-4146769224.jpg

image-1343844959.jpg

I'm satisfied with the bead itself, but as you can see, this didn't fully penetrate. I used a 45d bevel on each edge of the butt joint to make a 1/8" deep v groove, and had the welder set to voltage 7 and wire 55.

My question is this: do welder manufacturers assume a fully beveled joint when printing recommended settings? Do they assume you'll be manipulating/weaving at all? I really concentrated on maintaining a stick out of 3/8 and a 5d drag angle, but never quite burned all the way through.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Dumpsterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The recommended settings are just to get you in the ball park of the right settings. Every person sets their machine up differently. As for your penetration did you leave a gap between the 2 plates? Did you have a landing on the bevels?

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
nixer600

I usually leave it on auto set, and set the metal thickness a little thicker than what it is, and I'm usually happy with the weld.

Your beads look nice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
nixer600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Gyrocaptain
2007 KJ Liberty 

Either move the wire closer to the front of the puddle and down into the root(key hole) or
do a root pass and then a hot pass.

Gyro
Gyrocaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips. I did not leave a gap at all, and the bevels only went about halfway down (1/8). I think I'll try to gap it about 1/16 and see if that helps.

Unread 11-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Make the gap about an 1/8" and bevel it all the way until you have about an 1/8" landing (flat spot) left. Then run a root pass then a cap or a fill and cap how ever many it takes to make it flush or close to flush with the plates

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 11-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

1/8. Got it. So when miller says in the brochure that this machine is capable of 3/8 in a single pass...are they lying? Or do they assume like an .045 wire and 100% co2 setup on a different kind of weld? Didn't read the fine print...

Unread 11-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpsterfish View Post
and a 5d drag angle
are you dragging? I don't know if it makes a whole lot of penetration difference, but I usually push if I'm using gas.
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck
are you dragging? I don't know if it makes a whole lot of penetration difference, but I usually push if I'm using gas.
I've tried both, and I honestly didn't see much difference in penetration. The bead profile changed, but pushing didn't get any farther down.

Unread 11-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

People will argue back and forth weather you get better penetration or not by pushing.. When I was going to school for welding I was taught if there's slag you drag if there's not you push.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpsterfish View Post
I've tried both, and I honestly didn't see much difference in penetration. The bead profile changed, but pushing didn't get any farther down.
That has kinda been my experience too. Don't really notice much difference, but since it's always been suggested to me to push while using gas, I try and do that for what it's worth.
Unread 11-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Won't have a day off until Friday, but I'll try setting up a few different tests to see which will work out better for me.

Should probably be working on 3/16" anyway, since that seems to be the most common thickness for bumpers, sliders etc.

But then, there's my personal motto: if it's worth building, it's worth overbuilding.

Unread 11-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

<--------- Drags for penetration.. pushes for less penetration (sheet metal..etc).

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
<--------- Drags for penetration.. pushes for less penetration (sheet metal..etc).
That's what I've read...seems to make sense.

Unread 11-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #15
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

There's really not much more penetration.. Jody on weldingtipsandtricks did a nice little demonstration of that, along with vertical techniques and showing the abysmal penetration down handing gets.
I use push for all MIG. Pushing gives a flatter bead profile, pulling builds up more. If I need buildup, I'll pull. Sometimes pulling is a little more accepting of gaps in the fit up.
If it's got slag, drag.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.