Putting together an emergency stick welding kit for trail use, thoughts? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Putting together an emergency stick welding kit for trail use, thoughts?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #91
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, THANKS!!! That video was awesome, thank you very much for taking the trouble to find it for me five-string!!

So I also learned I need to switch my polarity now and it makes perfect sense as I think about it, electrically speaking, to use the negative lead for the stinger since current actually flows from negative to positive. That's what I'll do, hopefully today, as well as getting another short jumper so I can run 36v if the 24v test with switched polarity isn't enough. That video was welding some far heavier steel than I'd see on the trail so I'm thinking 24v may be enough for the 1/8" to 3/16" more typically used in Jeeps. And as John (Ironworker) suggested in a PM, I'll also pick up a box of 70 series electrode to see what that does.

Thanks a bunch guys, and especially thanks to five-string for that video. That was EXTREMELY helpful!!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #92
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Making progress, I finally got a chance to do some stick welding under the tutelage of two friends, got about an hour's worth of instruction and I've got the hang of it. Way different from MIG welding but in many ways not that much different. I was really digging the stick welding, that is for sure.

I did find that I liked welding with my friend's 6013 rod better than the 6010 I bought earlier. So I bought some 1/8" 6013 today to practice with, what thickness of steel is 1/8" 6013 good up to? I was also hoping to pick up some 7018 but the shop I was at didn't have any on hand.

Unread 10-06-2010, 03:44 AM   #93
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

1/8" 6013 will weld anything ever needed on the jeep for a temporary trail fix,i would go with a 3/32 for trail uses,even 3/32 is over kill on anything for a jeep.

6010 runs much different than any rod but a very versatile rod,,we knickname it "Rust Rod"..because it'll burn through rust,paint,grease..you name it..it'll burn out junk and then burn into the metal...we use it on jobs repairing old structural steel in stell mills..paper plants..etc where the buildings were built in the early 1900's and the buildings are litteraly rusting away and need replacement/repairs and use the 6010 so burn the junk out and then grind where possible and go over with a 7018..
7018 runs much different also,at times harder for a beginner to run because it will stick alot easier,but it runs much smoother and a MUCH stronger weld than any 60 series rods once you get the hang of holding a good arc and know the heat to run it good.

Any rod you decide to go with,i would carry 3/32 and maybe a some 1/16 rod for the thinner stuff too,1/8" would be way over kill plus hard to NOT burn through frame repairs and most bracketry on a jeep with 1/8"...3/32 is MORE than enough,plus i would think 3/32 wouldn't overheat the battery setup near as much as the 1/8"

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #94
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good info, thank you. I was thinking the 1/8" looked pretty heavy for my particular needs but the particular shop I bought it from didn't have it in 3/16" or even 1/8". 1/8" 6013 sure welded nice on the huge welder I tried it on Sunday but that was on some pretty heavy scrap steel. I'll pick up some 3/32" and maybe some 1/16" 6013 asap and then some 7018 once I am a little better with the 60 series stuff. Thanks!

Tags
batteries , battery welding , jumper cables

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.