Putting together an emergency stick welding kit for trail use, thoughts? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Putting together an emergency stick welding kit for trail use, thoughts?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #76
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep John the autodarkening lens fit perfectly, it slipped right in. I'm thinking of taking one of my protective hood bags & having an opening sewn into it for the goggles until I can find an inexpensive leather hood. The hood bag is of course head-sized and it'll cut back on the UV. Thanks again!

And Ryan, right on with those battery comments. I can't afford sealed AGM for the trailer right now but I was already planning to only go with the non-sealed type so I can keep their plates covered with distilled water. I'm kind of a battery guy and agree with you 100%, your advice was dead on. Especially to not let the batteries get hot.

So hopefully I'll get the time to get another pair of batteries connected up today to see what it'll do.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #77
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Yep John the autodarkening lens fit perfectly, it slipped right in. I'm thinking of taking one of my protective hood bags & having an opening sewn into it for the goggles until I can find an inexpensive leather hood. The hood bag is of course head-sized and it'll cut back on the UV. Thanks again!

And Ryan, right on with those battery comments. I can't afford sealed AGM for the trailer right now but I was already planning to only go with the non-sealed type so I can keep their plates covered with distilled water. I'm kind of a battery guy and agree with you 100%, your advice was dead on. Especially to not let the batteries get hot.

So hopefully I'll get the time to get another pair of batteries connected up today to see what it'll do.
Just another food for thought for a cheap but very good welding jacket ..

Go to any salvation army or goodwill store and buy a cheap used leather winter jacket,gut the liner out of it,soak that thing up with mink oil..woola!..a GREAT protective welding jacket cheap.

Try to find one with the zip up to neck,don't get one with the folded over collar,fire n slag will just fall under it onto the skin...ouch...lol

I've actualy done this myself to use for winter work on buildings,kept me warm and protected the same time and didn't worry about burning it up or tearing it on the sharp edges of iron since it was so cheap to buy.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #78
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a good welding jacket with leather sleeves John. I was just talking about making a hood for the head while using the goggles out on the trail until I can find an inexpensive full leather hood.

Unread 09-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #79
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I have a good welding jacket with leather sleeves John. I was just talking about making a hood for the head while using the goggles out on the trail until I can find an inexpensive full leather hood.
Oh OK,i'll see if i can find one for ya laying around that guys i know never use anymore,they are actualy a REAL PITA to use,hard to keep the lens in front of you're eyes where yo need it,the hood likes to slip around you're head alot

Those cheap HF welders i was thinkin of guys have sitting,,fell through,they want to sell them for too much in my opinion,then it would cost you too much for the shipping all the way out there.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #80
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks John, and I was thinking the same thing on high shipping charges for the HFT 90 amp welder for that conversion project. Now that I'm looking for one on Craigslist, I'm seeing them every few day but my low-ball offers aren't getting me anywhere. I'll eventually get one cheap enough. And yeah, I never thought about the hood slipping out of place but I can see that happening now that I think about it. Mybe an elastic sweat band sewn into it would do the trick.

Unread 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #81
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well this emergency trail welding idea just isn't panning out so far. Today's load test showed that only one of my two batteries was really dead so I bought one new big deep cycle battery today, charged it and my other battery up all the way, and tried to get the welder working. Well it made a lot of small sparks but no matter what I did, zero penetration and very little of anything else besides smoke.

I thought surely 24v would be enough for stick welding. I have read that 24v can blow holes in 1/4" so I have no idea what is going on. It HAS to be a battery issue, I'll try my Jeep battery in series with the new battery tomorrow and see what it does. It couldn't weld 1/16" at this point.

And yes, the batteries are properly connected in series, I measure 24v from ground to the electrode. I forgot to measure the voltage while trying to weld, maybe it's still dropping down to zero like it was with the old dead Blue Top Optima I threw out today after buying the new battery. That would be a pretty clear indication that perhaps the older battery we thought was still ok may not really be up to the task.

Unread 09-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #82
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Stick welding is about constant current not constant voltage maybe thats the problem.
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #83
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Any progress, Jerry?
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
five-string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #84
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-string View Post
Any progress, Jerry?
Not at all. Now from having read another thread, I am wondering if I have been using the wrong polarity.

From an illustration in a Chilton's welding book I have, it shows a stick welder as having a + voltage at the stinger and a - ground connection. Now I'm wondering if I will get better results with my 6010 wire by reversing the polarity so my ground is + and the stinger is -.

Unread 09-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #85
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jerry, I found this video. It confirms what you suspected. Positive battery is negative ground for weld lead.,,,

Willie Pete's Guide to Emergency Welding (Youtube)
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 09-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #86
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-string View Post
Jerry, I found this video. It confirms what you suspected. Positive battery is negative ground for weld lead.,,,
Positive battery is just plain ground, in this scenario (says the owner of a positive ground car).
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #87
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Right. 'Scuse the faux pas.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #88
AbbyNormalYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The deep cycle battery may be the problem, it's not made to deliver the amount of current (amps) that you need for welding. Does your deep cycle battery show a rating for CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) ? If not, I think this is the problem. Suggest you use 2 car batteries with at least 600 CCA each.
AbbyNormalYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #89
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

1/8" 6010 only takes 75 amps or so to burn. I GUARANTEE you a deep cycle battery can put out way more than that (the size of the battery makes the difference not the construction anyway, a deep cycle can put out 700 CCA, its just bigger than a starter with 700CCA) one battery will handle the amps, but you need the volts of 2 to get an arc long enough (the guy in the video looked like it was running really hot).
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #90
er2ergrn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

In the current JP magazine (Oct. 2010 pg. 56) they talk about what you r doing. Either go buy the issue if you don't have it or I can scan it in and email you the article since I already paid for it

PM me if you would like me to email it to you
er2ergrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries , battery welding , jumper cables

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.