Putting together an emergency stick welding kit for trail use, thoughts? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Putting together an emergency stick welding kit for trail use, thoughts?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #61
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
I have a HF 90amp doing nothing in my garage. If you could take some pictures of the setup that would be awesome, I have lots of free time to tinker
I just made a how to thread here on JF. Did not want to hijack original thread, and I think it is worthy of its own thread. Should have the pics/diagram you need
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/h.../#post10054358

sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #62
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well I just ordered 5 lbs. of 3/32" 6010, that ought to get me going on my scrap out in the garage and enough to carry in the back of the Jeep. Now I just have to find some desicant to put into the o-ring sealed stick container I picked up Wednesday for trail use. I'm hoping that 3/32" will take care of most anything I run into on the trail.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #63
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

3/32 will weld anything PLUS, that you will ever need on the Jeep and at home or shop...,multiple passes.
3/32 is a regularly used rod on heavy structural as some prefer is over 1/8th rod for better control of the puddle as an example so you know it will be more than you'll ever need for the trail.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #64
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's an awesome confirmation, thanks. I can't wait to stick my first rod to something and have it turn red-hot before I remember to release it.

Unread 09-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #65
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

In thinking about making the kit as small as possible.
Jerry, any thought to attaching a welding shade plate just attached to the stinger?

The "Mig-it" was kind of what I was thinking might work.
Mig-It, mig, welding, welding shield,

Of course you still want some sort of eye protection from flying spatter.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #66
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangotag View Post
In thinking about making the kit as small as possible.
Jerry, any thought to attaching a welding shade plate just attached to the stinger?

The "Mig-it" was kind of what I was thinking might work.
Mig-It, mig, welding, welding shield,

Of course you still want some sort of eye protection from flying spatter.
In my opinion and several weldors of different craft/professions think/know that thing is useless and dangerous.
Using that would give someone a false sense of being protected,UV rays reflect everywhere,so does the spatter and fire and sparks,leaving a face unprotected like that is a BAD idea.

Some pipefitters,boilermakers and ironworkers had a discussion/laugh on that thing when a guy brought one in to use welding on a CAT dozer on the jobsite where we are on right now,and the company almost FIRED him for using safety related equipment that was not feasable,that was their exact words written on a safety warning to him.

Gotta love some of the safety related products some companies/people are getting patents on and trying to make a killing at people's expense of being in danger but has a false sense of being safe...

I think Jerry has about the best solution to what he needs,the square burning goggles with weld shade lens and a type of fire resistant full face hood or leathers,i thought i had an old leather welding shield hood i could send him,well,i did,but the feild mice liked it better than me out in the shed...lol

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 09-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #67
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That's an awesome confirmation, thanks. I can't wait to stick my first rod to something and have it turn red-hot before I remember to release it.
Lol,we all been there and done that.
Just watch tryin to grab a hot rod after it has recently been used,even through some thin gloves it'll make you hollar things you're mother wouldn't like to hear,lol

Never forget 9/11

Unread 09-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #68
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Lol,we all been there and done that.
Just watch tryin to grab a hot rod after it has recently been used,even through some thin gloves it'll make you hollar things you're mother wouldn't like to hear,lol
No doubt... I've had a white line across my fingertips a few times..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #69
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a feeling I am going to be shown just how easy my MIG welding was once I start trying to figure out this stick stuff.

Unread 09-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #70
Ggg
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with Ironworker on the dangers of that "welding shield".
Ggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #71
Terrain Twister
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
In my opinion and several weldors of different craft/professions think/know that thing is useless and dangerous.
Using that would give someone a false sense of being protected,UV rays reflect everywhere,so does the spatter and fire and sparks,leaving a face unprotected like that is a BAD idea.
Definitely have to agree with this statement. I'm a Pipefitter by trade and being flashed is no fun. People don't realize what can reflect the UV rays. I've been hit with the reflection off of rough concrete. And if getting hit with the flash isn't enough, we wear those funny little hats covering our ears for a reason. Hearing 'Bacon Sizzle' IN your ear only has to happen once.
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #72
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with both of these guys flash burns are bad news, they can actually melt a contact lens to someones eye if they get a flash burn. Not to mention if any metal gets in your eye make sure you have an x-ray before and MRI's. The burning holes in your drum no fun either, its like a life sentence to ear infections.
Unread 09-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #73
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well the kit is pretty much together (a few things like the wire brush & jacket are missing from the pic) and I fired it up for the first time today.

Bummer... both of my "fully charged" trailer batteries are bad so while I got some sparks, that was it. The 24 volts drops to zero with any kind of a load like when I tried to get the arc going.

Well, it's a whole lot better that I discover the batteries are bad now since the trailer is going offroading with me in a few weeks. Heck I thought the batteries were good until today, though they were pretty old.

Anyway, I paid $10 for a new electrode holder from Harbor Freight, used my old 4 gauge jumper cables crimped together in parallel for the stinger lead, and a pair of 4 gauge jumper cables I connect in parallel for the negative lead. A 0 gauge jumper puts the two batteries in series for 24 volts.

I am SO bummed the batteries were dead. I'll probably pull two batteries out of the Jeep & Toyota tomorrow for another test.

I will say I got the 6010 stick hot enough to put off some pretty good fumes that my lungs aren't happy with. I guess I just learned that welding with stick puts out more fumes than my MIG with gas welding does.
welding-kit.jpg  

Unread 09-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #74
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea stick welding has ALOT more fumes than MIG,some fluxcores are too.Just always try to stay out of the path of the fumes if possible,i know it will be hard while doing trail repairs,but at home whenever you're stick welding use a box fan to blow the fumes away ,there is no gas so it never hurts the sheilding.

Did those Solera Auto Lens fit in the goggles ok?...i never tryed it before i sent it all to you.

Looks like you're about finished with the package for trail use,i'm bettin you'll be hoping in a way someone breaks down so you can show off you package and fix it real well...lol

Never forget 9/11

Unread 09-19-2010, 05:09 AM   #75
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I cant wait to see how these welds turn out. Ive been interested in a trail welder for sometime but have been trying to stay clear of the 2 battery method for fear of them blowing up. I used to work for a interstate battery branch and it was never fun to load test a battery for fear of it blowing up in your face.

Word of advice, make sure the batterys are either closed cell like the optimas or have a way to replace water. If you try loading a battery without water, its much more likely to blow up. Just dont buy those seals battery that dont have caps for openning if you need to check and replace water... I would also not use the batterys for over a few minutes at a time. Between uses let them cool off and this way the cells will also have time to recharge from the acid.

Good Luck!!!
Ryan
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries , battery welding , jumper cables

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.