Putting together an emergency stick welding kit for trail use, thoughts? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Putting together an emergency stick welding kit for trail use, thoughts?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

I took a look at the Premier Power Welder it seems they are very proud of it when I look at the price.
I realize it is much more capable and probably weighs less than a couple of batteries but for $869.95
+$35 S/H seems pricey.

bryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #17
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanm View Post
I took a look at the Premier Power Welder it seems they are very proud of it when I look at the price.
I realize it is much more capable and probably weighs less than a couple of batteries but for $869.95
+$35 S/H seems pricey.
Yep that's a great (!) welder but $870 is too rich for my blood. I won't be carrying two batteries, the second battery will be from someone else I'm wheeling with.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #18
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't carry any 60 series wire at all. Buy a tub of 7018 1/8" it's been my principal go to wire for the last 4 years. As far as a helmet get an old fashion one that flips and cut it down some for size. I also recommend leaving an extra dark lens in the glove box you can always hold that in front of your eyes in a pinch. Also buy a set of torchwear tig gloves there a little light but they double as excellent work gloves and they're also what I use for shooting gloves.

For a grand your might as well spring for the miller blue star welder generator. Some of them have there own wire feeders now
Unread 08-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #19
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBass View Post
I wouldn't carry any 60 series wire at all. Buy a tub of 7018 1/8" it's been my principal go to wire for the last 4 years.
Why do you recommend 7018 over any 60 series? Everything I read and hear from very experienced welders recommends 6010, 6011, etc. for what I want to do with it.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 08-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Why do you recommend 7018 over any 60 series? Everything I read and hear from very experienced welders recommends 6010, 6011, etc. for what I want to do with it.
Jerry, I agree that 7018 is not the correct rod for this application, but be sure that you get a DC rod. 6011 is an AC rod, so it won't work as well if you use it to weld with batteries. 6010 would be my choice.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #21
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I was planning to go with 6010 after reading the DC vs. AC info above. 1/16 or 3/32 seems to be the best diameter for 24vdc according to BESRK whom I trust on this stuff too so that's how I'll go, probably get both of those sizes in 6010.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 08-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #22
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I like the arc quality of 7018, it burns threw nasty stuff pretty well if you can't clean it and it's good for over heads too. As for running off of batteries thats not something I've ever done so maybe a 60 series wire would run better. In my experience any time I'd run that small I would opt for mig or tig but I always worked of a welding truck or in a shop.
Unread 08-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #23
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The thing that concerns me the most is that the 7018 has to be kept extra dry, preferably in a rod oven. That could be a problem for a package of rod that is going to ride around in the back of a Jeep for who knows how long until it is needed.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #24
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I mentioned a weldernator in my previous post.

Is there a reason why one isn't being considered? I'll bet it work way better than just batteries.
Unread 08-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #25
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
I mentioned a weldernator in my previous post.

Is there a reason why one isn't being considered? I'll bet it work way better than just batteries.
No doubt but all I need to make my quick emergency last-ditch-effort-when-nothing-else-will-work trail kit is welding rod and arc welding suitable welding goggles. The rest of it I already have.

Plus where the TJ with a/c is concerned, there's no real place to install the second alternator a welderator would require. The TJ's alternator and separate voltage regulator which is contained within the PCM isn't suitable for the alternator modification needed to make the weldernator work.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 08-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #26
jason m
your ad here...

I repared a broken cast tranny mount on a 205 case with jumper cable, some Knickle rod on one end, 3 pairs of sunglass's and a tee shirt around my face. IT works and got this guy off the trail. Note to self never say in a crowd that your a welder

I would suggest to carry some Knickle rod, your Jeep might not have alot of cast mounts but alot of the early Jeeps and trucks do. Plus with knickle rod you can weld mild steel just as easy as 6011.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #27
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

Just for information sake 6011 is AC, DC straight, DC reverse polarity---6010 is DC reverse polarity. DC straight is rod negative - DC reverse is rod positive --- 7018 is a low hydrogen rod leaves a heavy glass slag works best welding flat and up hill but is an all position rod --- in my opinion is harder to restart than 6011 or 6010, 7018 does lose some of the rods low hydrogen properties but old bouncing around in a toolbox 7018 rods will still make welds on some metal that will crack out if you try to weld with 6011 or 6010 if it were me I would carry both they have their uses. maybe the best suggestion was repair rod I don't remember the number but the one I have used is sold by Hialloy don't know if it is spelled right but the rod is blue it will weld cast and some of the castings like pitman arms stuff like that tends to run much like 7018. Just my 2 cents
Unread 08-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #28
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBass View Post
I like the arc quality of 7018, it burns threw nasty stuff pretty well if you can't clean it and it's good for over heads too. As for running off of batteries thats not something I've ever done so maybe a 60 series wire would run better. In my experience any time I'd run that small I would opt for mig or tig but I always worked of a welding truck or in a shop.
6010 will burn through the nasty junk 100% better than 7018 and gets a deeper penetration and works well for all positions.

As far as using in it in a shop where i can clean and prepare the weldment area i would prefer 7018 over the 6010,but in an emergency on the trail with all the dirt and grease and having no access to power tools,i would definitely want a 6010 ROD over a 7018 ROD

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #29
1990offroadYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just watched "The Colony" for the first time the other day and they made a welder out of 3 batteries and jumper cables to make a bracket for an alternator. It seemed to work ok. I dont know if you could find online what they used but i guess it would be worth a shot.
1990offroadYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #30
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

a good rod container is pvc pipe. I had some made with 2" glued a cap on 1 end and a female threaded coupling on the other and use a threaded plug as a top

Tags
batteries , battery welding , jumper cables

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.