Preparing mig wire for next weld - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Preparing mig wire for next weld

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread Today, 11:06 AM   #1
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Preparing mig wire for next weld

I am a newbie on mig welding. Acquired a mig set up for 30 flux core. I cannot seem to get a decent job so i am changing to 23 and gas. I have been watching everything available on u-tube. I notice that when i finish a weld with flux core there is no little ball buildup at the end of the wire. Watching utube using solid wire there is a little ball built up on the wire after a weld. Several people demonstrating mig say to remove this ball before going on to the the next weld. What a hassle, tack, snip, tack, snip, etc. Any comments?

Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:20 PM   #2
jason m

Your trying to energize a ball of metal twice some times three times ( maybe even bigger ) the size of the might wire its self, with the same current you would use to melt the wire under normal circumstances. That's why most if not all the times this ball is not removed your gun will push away before the arc is struck.
Yes it will probably strike a arc enough to start a weld but it will be a more than normal "cold start", remember one of the weakest parts of a weld is the start. As the energy to melt your filler is not there till the base metals heat up for a good fusion.

Clipping the end each times is what I was taught or with 7018 tap or scrape the end of the wire on concrete, but most of the time I would insert another rod into my stinger.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 07:21 PM   #3
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Your trying to energize a ball of metal twice some times three times ( maybe even bigger ) the size of the might wire its self, with the same current you would use to melt the wire under normal circumstances. That's why most if not all the times this ball is not removed your gun will push away before the arc is struck.
Yes it will probably strike a arc enough to start a weld but it will be a more than normal "cold start", remember one of the weakest parts of a weld is the start. As the energy to melt your filler is not there till the base metals heat up for a good fusion.

Clipping the end each times is what I was taught or with 7018 tap or scrape the end of the wire on concrete, but most of the time I would insert another rod into my stinger.

Jason.
That makes perfect sense, Jason. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I am now a believer of clipping the wire after every weld.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.