Post welding protective painting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Post welding protective painting

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Post welding protective painting

So was just sitting here and thought I'd ask a question to the fabrication crowd. Hopefully it's not a well covered topic, sorry if it is. Probably over thinking this, but hey why not ask.
Wondering about welding a reinforcement plate to existing flanges or mounts. Say a guy was going to put a plate onto an existing part to stiffen a mount. I know to remove the paint where the weld is going to lay. I'm wondering about if you totally clean both parts and there is no paint on the existing flange then you weld the new plate on top of it. For some reason you can't weld all around the new plate, so there are gaps for water or muck to get in between the two. Wondering if there are any solutions or solvents that can be poured into the seams that might wick into the gaps to create a rust barrier between the two plates. All I know is to apply several coats of rattle can paint, wondering if there is another tactic. Course, I know this is up there with worrying about the sky falling, but thought it would be fun to ask.

J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I spray RustOPeum cold galvanizing into areas like that. While its still very warm I will spray it into the crack or unwelded portion of the seam. Then when cold a second coat. Next the open areas not welded will get a coat of seam sealer or caulk. I live in the land of rust and this helps it last longer. Everything gets a final topcoat when complete.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:27 AM   #3
RARECJ8

X2on running a bead if caulk. Wet ur finger and draw it along for a good finish. I use a shot glass of water, works great. Once it dries and you spray oInt over it, no one will ever know.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. Guessing the caulk that you guys are using is somewhat flexible so it doesn't get dry and brittle. I would think if its flexible that rattle can paint might not stick to it well?? Any brand or type suggestions?
Unread 02-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I found a DAP caulk that is rubberized that is paintable when dry. Ive got a tube in the garage so Ill look tonite.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another option pretty much made for your purpose and tough stuff..flexible and paintable...no need for the pricy epoxy gun ,just a simple caulk gun
3M/12 oz. grey Dynatron auto seam sealer caulk (550) | Body Repair and Accessories | AutoZone.com

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
RARECJ8

we have used the basic silicone in a tube from home depot-- a generic caulk gun works great. let it dry and hit with the rattle can. some are over 10 years old and still look great. worst case? hit it again with the spray paint.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #8
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, glad I asked the question. Great info.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.