Plow Mounting for YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Plow Mounting for YJ

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 01-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Plow Mounting for YJ

Well my first setup using a 2" receiver didn't hold up to the 12" of cement we got a couple weeks ago. So after searching the web I finally found an instruction manual for a Meyer frame setup for YJs. Also found some pictures people post so I had a pretty good idea of what was needed.

I used white aluminum house trim to make my templates. It's nice to mark up and easy to bend.

Here's a couple pictures of the side brackets. Those took a while to cut with a sawzall! Now I'm going to make the cross member that goes between these brackets out of 3"x1" 1/4" tube. The brackets are 3/8". Once that is together them I can make the supports that mount to the lower part of the brackets and up to the frame.

The brackets are a little long and will be trimmed once the cross member is attached. The plow blade frame mounts wants to be at 12.5" off the ground so the bottom side brackets should be 10" off the ground.

The side brackets use two 5/8" x 4" bolts and a special 3/4" "T" bolt (not shown). These are inserted into the oval hole on the frame and the T keeps them from turning while the nut is tightened. Haven't made them yet.

Had my 17 year old son helping me. He had a good time and enjoyed learning!

Being Cut with the sawzall...sloooooooow! Plasma would be nice.
0122011642.jpg

My son finishing off the cut edges.
0122011720a.jpg

Making the bends.
0123011400c.jpg

The final product. This one is for the right side. The left had an extra hole to clear the head of the bolt for the steering box.
0123011403a.jpg

Bracket on the Jeep less the funky "T" bolt I have to fab. The white piece is the mock up for the support member back up to the frame.
0122011854.jpg

glenn-91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Spent the day out trying to finish up the plow frame mount. Got everything done except the attachment piece for the plow itself. Should have that done tomorrow night.

Top of the support bar that runs from the main support bracket back up to the frame. This mount to the frame with special "T Bolt" show a few images below. Basically there's an elongated hole in the frame, these are inserted and the T keeps it from spinning.

0130011109.jpg

Bracket with bends and top frame mount welded.
0130011110.jpg

Special "T Bolts" for frame holes.
0130011358.jpg

Complete assembly on the Jeep
0130011733b.jpg

Side view showing the main side bracket with the horizontal cross member and angled rear support up to the frame.
0130011734.jpg
Unread 01-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Nice work! Looks really good man!!

I didn't know the press could bend such thick material. What are you using to make the perfect 90's?
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Nice work! Looks really good man!!

I didn't know the press could bend such thick material. What are you using to make the perfect 90's?
Thanks. I'm not sure I could bend much more than the 4" wide by 3/8" stock with the 20 ton press.

If you look at the picture where I'm bending the side brackets, the brake has a piece of 90 degree angle stock sitting like a "V". The maximum bend the brake can make is 90 degrees. Basically you use the press to bend the metal in the brake to it's max which is 90. That's why the are so perfect. Bending the support brackets (slight offset angles) were a little more tricky because you have to eyeball it and check it against your measurements.
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well the Plow mount is FINISHED!
Just need to be pulled off and painted.

I ended up using the original mount that I purchased with the plow. It's designed to mount to a 2" receiver. I salvaged the 2" receiver from my original mount and welded it to the cross member. I then added 4 gussets to reinforce it.

Frame mount with plow blade mount.
Just used a temporary piece of rod I had in the shop. The real one with the clevis pins is in the garage.
0205010742a.jpg

Plow blade attached.
0205010743.jpg

Cross member with 2" receiver welded and gussets added.
0205010832.jpg

0205010837b.jpg
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
GilNewJeeper
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn-91YJ View Post
Well the Plow mount is FINISHED!
Just need to be pulled off and painted.

I ended up using the original mount that I purchased with the plow. It's designed to mount to a 2" receiver. I salvaged the 2" receiver from my original mount and welded it to the cross member. I then added 4 gussets to reinforce it.

Frame mount with plow blade mount.
Just used a temporary piece of rod I had in the shop. The real one with the clevis pins is in the garage.
Attachment 188878

Plow blade attached.
Attachment 188879

Cross member with 2" receiver welded and gussets added.
Attachment 188880

Attachment 188882
Really nice.... How much will a setup like that will go for? It's great.
I was thinking in something like this:
but I was concern in the receiver mount but your setup is very sturdy an well made.
GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is basically a Meyer setup I copied. I found an Installation Manual and a picture of a used setup someone was selling on eBay for $600. I spent around $90 on the metal to make the frame mount and the plow blade was around $400 new. I use my winch to lift and lower it so for me it was a cheap alternative to a used 6.5' setup. I really didn't want something that heavy on the Jeep. This is just for my personal use.

The SnowSport looks like it would be a nice setup. The question is how do they incorporate the receiver hitch mount to the frame! My first attempt mounting it to the bumper and frame tube didn't hold up.
Unread 02-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
bu5150
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mine is basically a Meyer setup I copied. I found an Installation Manual and a picture of a used setup someone was selling on eBay for $600. I spent around $90 on the metal to make the frame mount and the plow blade was around $400 new. I use my winch to lift and lower it so for me it was a cheap alternative to a used 6.5' setup. I really didn't want something that heavy on the Jeep. This is just for my personal use.

The SnowSport looks like it would be a nice setup. The question is how do they incorporate the receiver hitch mount to the frame! My first attempt mounting it to the bumper and frame tube didn't hold up.
I did this to my old YJ...I notched the stock bumper and the frame tube about an inch up and two and a half inches wide (so the 2" hitch tube would fit nice). Then I ended up sleeving the inside of the frame tube with some 1/4" wall pipe that slipped in the frame tube perfectly...I ran a snowsport type plow that I built. This hitch set up was vert strong, i bent the plow frame several times and the hitch never moved. It worked great.
snow-plow-09.jpg  

1981 CJ8...work in progress.
bu5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey BU5150...if you could post a couple pictures of the mount that might be helpful for others...I'm curious to see it. It looks like a nice setup!
Unread 02-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
bu5150
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey BU5150...if you could post a couple pictures of the mount that might be helpful for others...I'm curious to see it. It looks like a nice setup!
I sold the Jeep to my cousin...next time I see him I'll snap some pics with my phone. He still uses the plow to do his driveway.

1981 CJ8...work in progress.
bu5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Making the bends.
Attachment 183962
Is that a home made hydraulic press using a bottle jack?
Unread 02-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSooNmonkey View Post
Is that a home made hydraulic press using a bottle jack?
It's a 20 Ton Press I bought at Harbor Freight. It uses a 20 ton bottle jack which you could make yourself. It was $259 on sale for $199 and I had a 20% off coupon! Too good to pass up. It would cost more in material and time to make.

I made the brake so I could bend the brackets for the plow setup. It works pretty good if I say so myself.

A wider shot of my son trying his hand at it.
0123011400a.jpg
Unread 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
GilNewJeeper
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
The SnowSport looks like it would be a nice setup.
It is a great setup

Quote:
The question is how do they incorporate the receiver hitch mount to the frame!
They don't, they offer an additional receiver attachment but it's something like this:

Quote:
My first attempt mounting it to the bumper and frame tube didn't hold up.
That's my concern

If I can get the brackets you fabricated for the frame will be phenomenal. I can weld them together and copy your receiver idea. Are you willing to do them and how much you will charge for the two brackets?

GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilNewJeeper View Post
It is a great setup

They don't, they offer an additional receiver attachment but it's something like this:

That's my concern

If I can get the brackets you fabricated for the frame will be phenomenal. I can weld them together and copy your receiver idea. Are you willing to do them and how much you will charge for the two brackets?

Here's a link where you can get them for cheaper than I can make them for sure. Those brackets probably took me 6 hours to fab up, between cutting, bending and drilling.

http://www.storksauto.com/index.php/...r=position&p=4

Just order the Left and Right side plates and you should be good to go.
Can't beat that price!
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #15
JOExFROMxNY
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Making the bends.

Man, that press brake ↑↑↑↑↑
is the cousin of the one i made in this thread in October. When I saw yours I was going to go out to the garage and see if mine was still there. You even have the same el-cheapo Harbor Freight press.

JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.