Plasma Cutter - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Plasma Cutter

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD View Post
Save some more and get a Hypertherm 45
x2
I use a Hypertherm 45 at work, very light and portable, I cut 1/2" plate with it all day... kind of slow but still a very nice machine. I dont know much about plasmas, but the 45 seems very nice compared to some other Ive used.

Unread 11-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Keep looking. I found my hypertherm 380 on CL for $300 and it works on 110 or 220 and it came with a bunch of consumables.
Cuts it like butter.
Good luck in your search.
[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Indyorv.com[/FONT][/FONT]
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone have any experience with the Eastwood Versacuts? Been looking at getting one after New Years but kinda on the fence on them. They're half the price of similar name brand units, but all the reviews I've read have rated them really high. Seems like they're prone to being bad out of the box but the company's customer service is really good and they're really good about replacing them.

Not something I'm going to be using a ton, a few times a month if that.
Unread 11-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Eastwood Versacuts? Been looking at getting one after New Years but kinda on the fence on them. They're half the price of similar name brand units, but all the reviews I've read have rated them really high. Seems like they're prone to being bad out of the box but the company's customer service is really good and they're really good about replacing them.

Not something I'm going to be using a ton, a few times a month if that.
Anyone?
Unread 11-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #20
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Seems like they're prone to being bad out of the box but the company's customer service is really good and they're really good about replacing them.

I have zero experience with the Eastwood Cutter but this would kind of kill it for me. With something as expensive as a plasma cutter, I only want to cry one time.

The Hypertherms are kind of pricey out of the gate.. but you get what you pay for.

I hang out on some of the "CNC Plasma Cutting" forums. After hearing some of the frustrations with other brands of plasma cutters, all I can say is, "I'm thankful I own a Hypertherm".

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I have zero experience with the Eastwood Cutter but this would kind of kill it for me. With something as expensive as a plasma cutter, I only want to cry one time.

The Hypertherms are kind of pricey out of the gate.. but you get what you pay for.

I hang out on some of the "CNC Plasma Cutting" forums. After hearing some of the frustrations with other brands of plasma cutters, all I can say is, "I'm thankful I own a Hypertherm".
It's not something I'll use enough to justify spending $1000+ on. Not even close to being in the budget unfortunately.

I don't want to have to send it back, but it's not a huge deal if the company has the quality of customer service it seems like they do.
Unread 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I hear ya..

Maybe something from a local vendor would work? Northern has a few different sizes of Hobarts.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #23
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I hear ya..

Maybe something from a local vendor would work? Northern has a few different sizes of Hobarts.
Yeah I looked at those, but their cheapest is a 110 only machine that only goes up to 1/4" and it's $100 more than the Eastwood machine I was looking at. The majority of what I want it for is going to be a 1/4" so I want something that goes a little past it so I'm not running it at max all the time.
Unread 12-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #24
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Personally, I would save up for the hypertherm, and purchase some oxy-acetylene and a torch kit in the mean time, there is no limit to what you can cut with an oxy torch... except stainless and aluminum.
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I love my Hypertherm, but I understand the budget... As one of my old boss's got paid a lot of money to say, "The budget is the budget."
zboss86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You might look at Longetivy units, guys on Pirate use them alot because they give them a discount. They do have a 5 year parts and labor warranty. You can get multipurpose units cheaper than most plasmas. Not a name brand but they do have good reviews for customer service and a longer warranty.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
jerryjeeper
Old Jeep Guy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well the decision was made this weekend and we sprung for the Hobart 500I unit. It looks like it will handle anything I need to do and has a good reputation for durability. The local dealer offers any warranty and service as well as consumable parts inventory.
jerryjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.