Pipe Kinking in pipe bender, Tried everything - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Pipe Kinking in pipe bender, Tried everything

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
VBJeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Pipe Kinking in pipe bender, Tried everything

So I will start by listing the bender and pipe,
http://www.harborfreight.com/http-ww...2888-html.html

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...BTBE/202310232

I have tried packing it with dry sand, wet sand with water, lubricating everything, but I still get one kink on the bottom side that is bad like a fold and then it rises out of the die, This starts fairly early at like 30 degrees, and even before that it doesnt look amazing. I figure I have to be doing something wrong because I have seen people use this with success. I know it doesnt give the best bends in the world, but they should still be useable and not just scrap. Any suggestions guys? Again it is just a single kink in the middle and then the pipe rises out of the die slowly.

VBJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
jason m
your ad here...

When bending pipe with that style bender each hole represents a different size of pipe, starting from the center and working your up/out, you start with 1/2" sch40 then 3/4" and so on and so on.
So to bend 1.5" sch40 pipe you need to use the 5th hole out from the center, with the right size center shoe. Some pipe cant handle being bent, it will kink wrong or just rip open. But then some pipe will bend nice and easy, just depends on how well it was made which pipe really has no real high standard made unlike DOM.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

What Jason said.Use the proper spaced holes for the size of pipe. I use my HF pipe bender alot, and it never kinks it. I was actually surprised at how nice of bends it does. 90* with no deformation at all, no sand, no nothing.
Go to a plumbing supply house to get pipe. It's usually local made (ask them) and way better quality than the overseas made box store junk. Just looking at it you can see the better quality. Plus it's nice when it's not covered with that layer of black goop.
Unread 06-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
VBJeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
When bending pipe with that style bender each hole represents a different size of pipe, starting from the center and working your up/out, you start with 1/2" sch40 then 3/4" and so on and so on.
So to bend 1.5" sch40 pipe you need to use the 5th hole out from the center, with the right size center shoe. Some pipe cant handle being bent, it will kink wrong or just rip open. But then some pipe will bend nice and easy, just depends on how well it was made which pipe really has no real high standard made unlike DOM.

Jason.
I did use the bender correctly and had everything set up as you said and it still kinked it on approximately 5 or 6 bends
VBJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
AtTheHelm

I was also having this problem a while back. What happened to me is the 'lips' of the die (also 1.5) spread apart so it didn't hold the pipe tight. Returned the die to HF and they replaced it. The new one they gave me has been working good. I don't use actual pipe in mine, only 'pipe size tube' from my steel supplier. It's bare uncoated tube rated for structural rather than astm pipe.

Also, if you put a couple short pcs of angle iron between the rollers and the pipe you won't get those dimples from the rollers.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBJeepWJ View Post
I did use the bender correctly and had everything set up as you said and it still kinked it on approximately 5 or 6 bends
Try some different pipe, if your setting it up right then its the pipe you have. Trust me I have made many trips to the scrap yard with split and kinked pipe.
Then I said screw this and bought a tube bender, along with the tube bender I bought a 1.25" sch40 Die and now I can make a mandrel bend in pipe and its as clean as what the tube I bend looks like.

The kinko bender is for those people cages I don't like, lol.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
rockymtwrangler
1994 YJ Wrangler 

if you have access to and induction heater use it to warm the pipe up a bit if not use a torch but heat the pipe evenly across the outside radius 80-100
deg Celsius is all you need, i have to do this lots to bend aluminum
rockymtwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Can't figure what's going on with my crap phone but look up,, "charlieboy65" harbor freight pipe bender modified for bending tube"
Another one I've seen is saying to use a smaller die,, use the die closer to the id of your tube/pipe. By turf dog? , also on you tube.
Bear304inc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Where is the pipe made? Haven't done it in a while, but we used to have huge problems with chinese pipe kinking: enough that we just changed everything to spec American pipe.
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliams35 View Post
Where is the pipe made? Haven't done it in a while, but we used to have huge problems with chinese pipe kinking: enough that we just changed everything to spec American pipe.
Not the first I've heard of this, guy I know will not buy from box stores, home depot etc, he goes to a welding supply shop. Cost more but he swears its worth saving the headache. I have had moderate luck with Chinese tube.
Bear304inc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 12:38 AM   #11
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have the 16 ton hf pipe bender. I've yet to bend pipe however I modded it for tube. You may want to search youtube for harbor freight bender modifications. Building a strap to retain the pipe in the center shoe may help with the kinking.
Unread 11-07-2014, 05:19 AM   #12
Nicksan
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Have you tried bending slower?
I have the same bender and I noticed that the pipe would slip in the die sometimes.
Nicksan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.