Pipe bending. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Pipe bending.

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 02-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
FragOut
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Pipe bending.

Any advice on benders, and how to bend pipe better. I have not done this in years but the equipment I had them was trash (school metal class). Any one know of a decent bender and better tips we should all know or at least consider.

FragOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pipe or tube?

I'm happy with my Pro tools 105HD for bending tube. Works great and you can get a pretty good deal from vendors. Stay away from the cheap HF pipe kinkers if your looking to bend tubing for roll cages, fenders, bumpers, sliders, ect.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
KMD
1976 CJ7 

trick tools .com has the jd2 model three. That is what I use for bending tube. pipe is for sewers. so you want a tubing bender. look for a used package on pirate 4x4.com. I picked mine up local for $500 with the 1.75" 180 deg die and a stand.
Unread 02-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The ONLY difference in pipe and tube is the daimeter it is made..2" pipe is 2" inside diameter..2" tube is 2" outside diameter...

Pipe i also made in the same exact process as tube..DOM pipe..welded seam pipe..etc ...just like DOM tube and welded seam Tube

Tube is more popular in the hobbyist and automotive fabrication for the fact it is much easier to measure and fabricate being an even outside diameter and there is more "Tube benders" available then Pipe benders in the hobbyist market
You can get pipe dies for those Tube benders and bend pipe just as nice as tube

In either case..make sure is a true bender..not the cheap hydraulic kinkers like the HF type..i have one of them i use for bending fence and gate posts for farmers and property owners..have even done the wet sand method to bend and makes a pretty nice bend ..but its hardly worth the time it takes..real PITA

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
bigandrich44
1998 TJ Wrangler 

sorry to hijack, but whats a good cheap pipe bender? by cheap, i mean under say $200..
bigandrich44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandrich44 View Post
sorry to hijack, but whats a good cheap pipe bender? by cheap, i mean under say $200..
What are you looking to use it for?

For a true "bender" and not just the bottle jack pipe kinkers, the dies alone will cost that much. You could maybe find a used bender with a die set for $400 to $500
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
Katesdad

I read a article in a hot rodder magazine that explained why tube kinks so bad in pipe benders. The dies arent the right size for tube. This is why people have to fill the tube with sand. The distances are all wrong too.

There are alot of plans in the net. For 700 dolars speedway has a complete set of dies and a bender or 400 for one size. It didnt look the beefiest though. Eastwood has a one too. Used might be the way to go, or build one.
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesdad View Post
I read a article in a hot rodder magazine that explained why tube kinks so bad in pipe benders.The dies arent the right size for tube. TrueThis is why people have to fill the tube with sand. The distances are all wrong too. Not True
The ONLY reason to use the "fill with sand" method is because the cheap HF type benders PUSH the pipe/tube into a bend and where the pipe meets the rollers and die ends up with a "kink" in it,plus it will fold in on the bend since it is being pushed...The dies are made for pipe and even bending pipe it kinks and flattens the pipe without the sand method..This is the type i am talking about...I own one of these.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-hydraulic-pipe-bender-32888.html

THIS is the type bender you want,it PULLS the tube/pipe around the die and keeps it uniform,you need a tube die for tube,and pipe die for pipe

http://www.jd2.com/shop/

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 02-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

You should never use pipe for a roll cage; it is way to brittle and can shatter upon impact. Forget the HF pipe benders and invest in a true tubing bender. Leave pipe to the plumbers where it belongs.
Unread 02-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
You should never use pipe for a roll cage; it is way to brittle and can shatter upon impact. Forget the HF pipe benders and invest in a true tubing bender. Leave pipe to the plumbers where it belongs.
Where did you get that info from?...

Pipe is made from the SAME materials and processes as Tube....the ONLY difference is it is made with an inside diameter instead of an outside diameter for measurements and needs of flow inside

DOM(Drawn Over Mandrel) pipe....same exact material as DOM tube...

Welded seam pipe(mild steel)..same exact material as Welded Seam Tube...

4130 Pipe(Chromolly)...same exact material as 4130 Tube....
and so on..and so on.......

The ONLY pipe you MAY be thinking of is a cast iron pipe that would shatter..it just cracks under pressure before it bends

Just because the word "pipe" is being used..does NOT mean it is a cast iron drainage pipe

And to get a little technical..even the cheap mild steel welded seam pipe or tube would never "shatter"...it would fold and kink....AND..a 2" "PIPE" is stronger than a 2" tube for the fact it is measured 2" INSIDE and tube is measured OUTSIDE..so the pipe has more material and is bigger than the tube..

Never forget 9/11

Unread 02-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Iíve never seen a racecar, drag or street racer roll cage made of pipe. Itís either mild steel, DOM or chrome molly. I donít have any tech articles on the matter but for several years I was into drag racing and never seen or heard of such material as pipe being used. One of my best friends at the time built cars, from street racers to Pro Stock to dragsters for a living. I also built a few roll cages for street racers and Jeep Speed. Pipe was never an option.
Unread 02-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I’ve never seen a racecar, drag or street racer roll cage made of pipe. It’s either mild steel, DOM or chrome molly. I don’t have any tech articles on the matter but for several years I was into drag racing and never seen or heard of such material as pipe being used. One of my best friends at the time built cars, from street racers to Pro Stock to dragsters for a living. I also built a few roll cages for street racers and Jeep Speed. Pipe was never an option.
I also grew up on the drag strip up north..Cecil County Md..Reading Pa...Beaver springs Pa..Englishtown NJ...
NHRA and IHRA Pro Streets...Street class..and street racers..as you call it.... "sleepers"
It is ALWAYS an option as long as it is the right material,there is NO WHERE in the NHRA or IHRA class books that says "roll cages and chassis MUST be Tube ONLY"....it only explains it HAS to be DOM or Chromoly an how many points the cage must be made in..
please explain to us how the same exact material in a different measurement is "weaker" and "brittle'?

As i have already explained..TUBE is more popular for the fact it is much easier to figure out measurements since it is measured from the outside diameter

Never forget 9/11

Unread 02-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Iím not going to get into a heated argument with you on pipe versus tubing as far as roll cages go. If you want to build them out of pipe then more power to you. I hardly believe that you ever built a roll cage for a customer out of pipe though. As a matter of fact, I doubt you ever came across any professionally built car in your travels that were made of pipe.
Unread 02-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Iím not going to get into a heated argument with you on pipe versus tubing as far as roll cages go. If you want to build them out of pipe then more power to you. I hardly believe that you ever built a roll cage for a customer out of pipe though. As a matter of fact, I doubt you ever came across any professionally built car in your travels that were made of pipe.
Good answer...

But wait...you never answered the question"please explain to us how the same exact material in a different measurement is "weaker" and "brittle'?

And by the way..search a lil harder..there are lots of people using "pipe dimension" tubular chassis's and roll cages now a days..why?..because the OLD myth that pipe is weak is out of the bag..it is JUST as STRONG if not stronger as long as the same material and manufacturing process is used.

And Tube is gettin higher and higher on the prices than pipe ever has been.

Same strength/weight+ less cost = a win win situation

A 2" schedule 40 "seamless" pipe measures roughly 2 1/4" outside dimension

tell me what the strength advantage of a 2 1/4" seamless HREW TUBE is over the that pipe...

And..Pipe is regularly used for structural purposes on structural buildings....

Tell all those engineers they were WRONG for using pipe dimension tubing on those buildings for the past 100 years or so for heavy structural designs because the dimensions fit the bill better than tubing measurments.

The bottom line is..the public,hobbyists and internet/weekend warriors are finaly getting the knowledge that the ONLY difference in tubing and pipe is the measurements ONLY, when the same process and material is used

Never forget 9/11

Unread 02-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well I donít have any facts in what Iím saying other than no professional chassis builders that I have known or heard of has ever built a roll cage out of pipe.

You keep asking for proof of pipe versus tube for roll cage construction from me but Iíve yet to see your proof in the matter either. Show me where a professional builder uses pipe instead of tubing. Iím not talking about Bubba Motor sports up in the hills but long established builders.

We are talking about race vehicles not the construction buildings. Should we then use drywall instead of sheet metal or aluminum?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.