a-pillars...i need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > a-pillars...i need help

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
itsmejonnyb
1988 MJ Comanche 

a-pillars...i need help

i have an 88 Comanche i just bought. its been rolled and the old owner cut out the a-pillars and put steel tubing instead. i want to try and replace them but I'm not really sure how i should do it. i need the a-pillars so i can get a windshield to get it licensed and registered. does anyone know the correct way of doing this I've looked around online and haven't found anything on it. any help on this would be much appreciated. and if you think it would be easier just to replace the entire cab? im not very good at this kind of fabrication and really need some advice

itsmejonnyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
BlueTorch

if you can find the pillars from a junk cab that would be the start. Cut them out below the area to be repaired on your vehicle. Then cut and make fit to your cab. If you dont feel up to the task any bodyshop would be able to do it for you. I would way the cost of replacing the cab vs making the repair.

Dan

Check out our Facebook fan page!
www.facebook.com/bluetorchfab
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BlueTorch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
driverdave
1989 MJ Comanche 

replacing the whole cab would cost a whole lot more than the pillar, I agree cut the pillar longer than needed measure a couple times then cut to the right length, tack weld it to hold it in place, make sure its straight before you put the final weld on, I am by no means a welding or chopping expert but reading some posts and watching those restoring tele shows.
driverdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
itsmejonnyb
1988 MJ Comanche 

alright thanks guys im goin to go to the junk yard here in a few days and see what all they have. im a desent weilder but dont have one right now but i should be getting a new one in a week or so
Unread 06-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
driverdave
1989 MJ Comanche 

post some before and after pics.
driverdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
BlueTorch

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejonnyb View Post
alright thanks guys im goin to go to the junk yard here in a few days and see what all they have. im a desent weilder but dont have one right now but i should be getting a new one in a week or so

Feel free to PM me with questions if you need help.

Dan

Check out our Facebook fan page!
www.facebook.com/bluetorchfab
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BlueTorch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
itsmejonnyb
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverdave View Post
post some before and after pics.
alright i'll take some pics here an a bit. i'll have them up here probably tonight
Unread 06-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
itsmejonnyb
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTorch View Post
Feel free to PM me with questions if you need help.

Dan
alright i'm sure i'll have alot of questions about this. i've done some body work before on my old truck, but never anything like this. it'll be interesting to say the least lol
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
itsmejonnyb
1988 MJ Comanche 

Unread 06-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Does the windshield have to be glass? What about welding some brackets onto those tubes and putting a piece of Lexan or something in there? It probably wouldn't be the best long-term solution if you want to keep the weather out, but it might be enough to get it registered.

The way that looks now, you have a lot of work to do before a "real" windshield will fit properly.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejonnyb View Post

No click...
Unread 06-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
itsmejonnyb
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
Does the windshield have to be glass? What about welding some brackets onto those tubes and putting a piece of Lexan or something in there? It probably wouldn't be the best long-term solution if you want to keep the weather out, but it might be enough to get it registered.

The way that looks now, you have a lot of work to do before a "real" windshield will fit properly.
i probably could but idk how strict they are about that and i really want a real windsheild. im sure it wouldn't be to hard, or even just screw a peisce into the bars. we'll see when i get closer to replacing them... thank you though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.