Picked up a Welder and Looking For Some Projects - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Picked up a Welder and Looking For Some Projects

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-26-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Mr. Notorious

Picked up a Welder and Looking For Some Projects

I just picked up a wire fed flux welder today and now I'm getting itchy to use it already. I was thinking about going down to the local steel shop and getting some scraps to practice with but I don't want to waste too much time, metal, and money. Maybe a couple days. Does it seem reasonable to be able to start constructing a bumper withing the first week? What are some ideas to constructing the bumper? I was thinking about integrating the two back body mounts into the bumper somehow along with the 8 holes the bumprettes bolt onto. But I'm sure the great northeast salt has made those bolts a nightmare for me. What else could I tie the bumper into? And where can I get the latching mechanism and the pivot-arm for the swing out tire carrier? What else are some little projects that I could use for practice but would also be beneficial? Thanks for the help, I already can't wait.

1967 FJ, linked, 350 chevy, 35's, arbs, blah blah...
2002 TJ

"If you're not moving ahead, you're falling behind"
Mr. Notorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
a84jeepCJ7

You can check out this thread ( click here ) for info on the swing out and latch. The bumper itself might be a little tough for someone just starting out. You might want to start with something non Jeep related like a BBQ grill or smoker to get warmed up. That will get you started then move up from there. Plus, once you build the grill we can all come over for steaks and beer and help you with that bumper.
a84jeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2005, 10:31 PM   #3
FrankZ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Jump in feet first! I did after not touching a welder since....well a loooooong time ago, and had a blast re-learning. Built my front bumper...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/another-homemade-bumper-151034/

and my spare tire carrier too...

Made some rock rails and will start on some skids soon as well.

You'll learn pretty quickly. Here's a link that might help a bit...
http://www.free-ed.net/free-ed/BldgC...coursemain.asp

I got my hinge from www.rockstomper.com and picked up the latch at W.W. Grainger.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.