Picked up a exhaust for my niner today. lmk what you think of the fab job? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Picked up a exhaust for my niner today. lmk what you think of the fab job?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 08-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Alotaglock
1998 ZJ 

Picked up a exhaust for my niner today. lmk what you think of the fab job?

Hello guys,
I bought this exhaust today for my 5.9 from some guy that custom built it then his son wrecked it a week after he put it on. Just wanting to get your opinions on if it looks like it will be fully functional and do you think I'll notice a difference. He said he put a lot of hours in to building it. Was it worth 300.00? He says the stock exhaust is really restrictive. Here is what he emailed me...

"The exhaust system is in really good shape. The only original parts are the tailpipe and cast iron manifolds. (manifolds stay with the engine) I replaced the crimped down section of the tailpipe, where it goes over the axle with a new piece of 3". It fit fine without the crimp, but I do have a 2" lift, so that may be a factor in the clearance.

The 3" cat and muffler were around $90 each when I bought them. The mandrel bent tubing was not cheap either, but I don't remember how much I paid.

The stock primary tubes are 2" and the passenger side tube is crimped down to about half of that. You can't see the crimped section of this pipe because it has an aluminum wrap but it's there. I replaced it with 2 1/4" mandrel bent tubing, no crimps. Lots of work cutting and welding it all together. The exhaust system got about 35 miles on it before my son wrecked it. I'm asking $300 for the exhaust." I will have to upload pictures from my computer shortly. Thanks, Aaron

Alotaglock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Alotaglock
1998 ZJ 

Here are a few pictures. It does look to me like Air will flow a lot better through the Y pipe and the whole exhaust in general. But I'm not a professional.
exhaust2.jpg   exhaust4.jpg   exhaust3.jpg   exhaust1.jpg  
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Alotaglock
1998 ZJ 

He cut out a crimped piece of exhause and put in full 3 inch on this back half where you can see the welds.
exhaust5.jpg  
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Or get something like this for $120 and install your own cats/mufflers in between
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...te-bk-874.html
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hmmm.. you might want to swing by a couple local muffler shops first.

I had a "header collector-to-rear bumper" dual exhaust bent and welded for my CJ5 for under $300. I did supply my own Flowmasters but the shop did all the tubework and hangers. Tucked everything up out of the way really nice too. This was at a local "Big Al's" muffler shop. All tube was 2.25".

Not saying the $300 is a bad deal.. I honestly don't know. I'd just check to see what a full system would cost if you supplied your own cat/muffler..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Doesnt look like anything special to me. If he custom built it why is the tail pipe section soo rusty.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #7
Alotaglock
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
Doesnt look like anything special to me. If he custom built it why is the tail pipe section soo rusty.
He used the stock 3 inch pipe but cut out the crimped section and welded in a 3 inch round piece to replace it. The crimped section was smashed down to half its size meaning that air wouldn't leave as quickly. Plus this has a 3inch highflow cat and some type of aftermarket flowmaster type of muffler. Basically it seems as if the guy just took out all the crimped sections and built a smooth flowing Y-pipe. I'm going to have an exhaust shop mount it just incase I run in to any problems. I will let you know if I feel a difference. I'm sure I will. But who knows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.