Painting my chrome rims? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Painting my chrome rims?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Painting my chrome rims?

I know that painted directly on to chrome will not stick and will be bad. I also know I can get cheap ($75 per rim) black rims for my Jeep, but I want something a little different. So my question is, is there a way to paint onto chrome so it will stick and look good? I don't have a sand blaster or anything, but I was hoping maybe if I scuffed it up with a steel brush or something and got a good primer it would stick. Any suggestions?

GatorsUF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
PBR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

sand them real good with some fine grit sand paper then use a couple self etching primer and sand it with some real fine grit paper then paint. Makes since doesnt it? Thats how I did mine.

really the only big tip i have is spend time sanding the rim real good so the primer sticks.
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

You might also be able to "etch" the chrome with something caustic. Not sure what reacts with chrome but you might be able to research and find a solution.. Muriatic Acid? Drano?...

I'm not a chemist so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
silvrjeepr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I sent $10 to this guy and used the plans (more like a guide) to build a couple of blasters on the cheap.

http://www.pablaster.com/

It was well worth the money IMHO... Then, you can't say you don't have a sand blaster.
silvrjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Rookie130
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrjeepr View Post
I sent $10 to this guy and used the plans (more like a guide) to build a couple of blasters on the cheap.

http://www.pablaster.com/

It was well worth the money IMHO... Then, you can't say you don't have a sand blaster.
Do you have any pictures, or would that basically give away this guy's idea and rob him of potential $?
Unread 10-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
Dmax5er
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ive done it before. you get muratic acid or concrete cleaner and a spray bottle like a windex bottle, spray them real good and keep them wet for about 15 mins. then rinse with water, scuff with red scotch brite, clean, dry, and prime with DP 40 and paint. will hold very well.
Dmax5er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
You might also be able to "etch" the chrome with something caustic. Not sure what reacts with chrome but you might be able to research and find a solution.. Muriatic Acid? Drano?...

I'm not a chemist so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.
Chromic acid?
Unread 10-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
silvrjeepr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie130 View Post
Do you have any pictures, or would that basically give away this guy's idea and rob him of potential $?
Pretty much... It's an exremely simple concept.

They guy seems to be a very good fellow, so I'm not going to be the one to spoil a good thing. I think he owns a TJ now so he may be lurking around the boards somewhere. If he wants to post pics then that's his perogative. I made my first one out of 6" pvc, and the second one was out of a cut down 60 gal water tank. I'm happy with both of them.
silvrjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #9
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Someone said "Self etching primer"

I think I will scuff the rims up with either a wire brush or a red scrub pad. Then I will spray them with "self etching primer" and then paint. I am doing this a cheaply as possible so...

My question:

What kind of Rattle Can should I get? Rust-o-leum, furniture paint...?

What kind of self etching primer?
GatorsUF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.