Oxygen-Acetylene Tanks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Oxygen-Acetylene Tanks

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
OSYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oxygen-Acetylene Tanks

For a while now I have been trying to find a deal on some cutting torches. I've been watching craigslist & haven't had much luck. Today I found some tanks...1 oxygen 1 acetylene. They both have been filled. I went to go check them out for a possible purchase. Everything looked good so I bought the tanks. Got them out to my pick up to load them up & the person told me that it's bad to lay them down. I was thinking to myself...why? They told me it had something to do with the acetone in the acetylene or something & that when I get them home I should leave them upright for at least a week before use.

Did I mess the acetylene up by laying it down? I didn't have anyway to keep them upright at the time. They were laid down for a good hour until I got them home. Do I really need to wait a whole week? I've never heard of this before. Someone please learn me something. Thanks.

OSYJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

What size tank?? Personally, I would leave it overnight at least but I have never heard of a week before.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
OSYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
What size tank?? Personally, I would leave it overnight at least but I have never heard of a week before.
I'm not sure of the volume capacity but, the oxygen is 4ft tall & the acetylene is 3ft tall or so.
Unread 09-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Just read this on a safety site:

Do not lay acetylene cylinders on their sides. If an acetylene tank has accidentally been left on its side, set it upright for at least one hour before it is used.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 09-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

Yeah i agree, at least overnight, a week sounds like little over kill.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Welding-3...-cylinders.htm

That says four hours, and also kinda explains why....Im pretty sure they taught us to leave it overnigh in school but i cant remember for sure.
Arcticcat843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticcat843 View Post
Yeah i agree, at least overnight, a week sounds like little over kill.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Welding-3...-cylinders.htm

That says four hours, and also kinda explains why....Im pretty sure they taught us to leave it overnigh in school but i cant remember for sure.
I was just reading a similar article. I would definatly leave it overnight now.

Unread 09-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSYJ93 View Post
For a while now I have been trying to find a deal on some cutting torches. I've been watching craigslist & haven't had much luck. Today I found some tanks...1 oxygen 1 acetylene. They both have been filled. I went to go check them out for a possible purchase. Everything looked good so I bought the tanks. Got them out to my pick up to load them up & the person told me that it's bad to lay them down. I was thinking to myself...why? They told me it had something to do with the acetone in the acetylene or something & that when I get them home I should leave them upright for at least a week before use.

Did I mess the acetylene up by laying it down? I didn't have anyway to keep them upright at the time. They were laid down for a good hour until I got them home. Do I really need to wait a whole week? I've never heard of this before. Someone please learn me something. Thanks.
NEVER LAY AN ACETYLENE TANK HORIZONTAL. EVER!!!!

This is what happens:

from: http://abdmalik.net46.net/2008/07/th...n-in-malaysia/

If you don't know how acetylene tanks work, you've got no business owning them.

Read this: http://www.airproducts.com/nr/rdonly...fetygram13.pdf

Acetylene tanks have a porous sponge like material in them, filled with acetone. Acetylene is VERY unstable at atmospheric pressures. The acetone helps dissolve the acetylene and stabilize it while under pressure. If you lay the tank on its side, the acetone flows to the valve, dissolves the seals, and acetylene leaks out - and explodes very violently. Thats the pictures you see above.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
OSYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

10-4 cool! Thanks alot fellas.
Unread 09-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
OSYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
NEVER LAY AN ACETYLENE TANK HORIZONTAL. EVER!!!!

This is what happens:

from: http://abdmalik.net46.net/2008/07/th...n-in-malaysia/

If you don't know how acetylene tanks work, you've got no business owning them.

Read this: http://www.airproducts.com/nr/rdonly...fetygram13.pdf

Acetylene tanks have a porous sponge like material in them, filled with acetone. Acetylene is VERY unstable at atmospheric pressures. The acetone helps dissolve the acetylene and stabilize it while under pressure. If you lay the tank on its side, the acetone flows to the valve, dissolves the seals, and acetylene leaks out. When acetylene reaches atmospheric pressure, it explodes VERY VIOLENTLY. Thats the pictures you see above.
Ouch!!! Nobody has ever told me this. I worked for a horse transportation outfit for 2 yrs. or so about 8 or 9 yrs. ago. There I customized tractor trailer horse vans 48ft. & 53ft. I did alot of welding & fabricating using mig mostly & used cutting torches every week. I often took the tanks to the welding store (holox) at the time, unloaded & loaded the tanks with personel watching & never was told this.

I know now how they work & plus I paid for them, So I'd say the buisness is pretty much mine.

Greatly appreciate your info though.

I will make a tank carrier so in the future the tanks will always be upright & secure for transport.
Unread 09-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #10
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSYJ93 View Post
I know now how they work & plus I paid for them, So I'd say the buisness is pretty much mine.
No you didn't know how they work. You were not educated enough to be using or transporting acetylene tanks if you didn't know you can't lay them down. Honestly, you're probably lucky nothing bad happened. Anybody can pay for them, light the torch and burn some steel...but that doesn't mean you understand the safety issues behind them. You're lack of knowledge proves this. But, now that you've been educated on how dangerous acetylene is, you'll be more aware of its properties.

Remember - acetylene & oxygen is a bomb. Its an extremely volatile gas compressed under high pressure, right next to the best accelerant possible, also under high pressure. However, they can be used safely with the proper techniques.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1LwYJ8pDhc
Improper transport simulation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUmLe...eature=related
heres what happens if it gets out of control: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roatg...eature=related
Failure in use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjKRbgGDhHs&feature=fvw

Last edited by Unlimited04; 09-17-2009 at 11:56 PM..
Unread 09-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
No you didn't know how they work.
Read what he said again, He says " I know now how they work" after all the info has been posted for him to see.

Unread 09-18-2009, 12:05 AM   #12
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Read what he said again, He says " I know now how they work" after all the info has been posted for him to see.
Sorry, I'm just trying to make it explicitly clear what you're dealing with when you've got oxy-acet in your garage

I'm big on safety because lack of it is how people get hurt bad, or worse.
Unread 09-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
OSYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Rusty, thanks for looking out...I sure appreciate ya.

Quote:
Sorry, I'm just trying to make it explicitly clear what you're dealing with when you've got oxy-acet in your garage

I'm big on safety because lack of it is how people get hurt bad, or worse.
Unlimited04, I again greatly appreciate you sharing the safety concerns that I was unaware of. I can understand how it's probably difficult for you having the knowledge & experience you have in this field, to see someone like me do something this stupid even though I was ignorant in this area. I have great respect for you sir & hope that you have a wonderful day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.