Ordered a new tig welder today - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Ordered a new tig welder today

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered a new tig welder today

I've been wanting a tig welder for a long time... Wanted something to do chomolly/ stainless/ and aluminum. Also love the aesthetics of a good clean tig weld. I've been reading up on the machines for a couple years and been scanning craig's list and ebay for the past year. Seen a few syncrowaves, but nothing that stood out for the price they were asking. I also wanted a machine that could run on 110V at the house. I narrowed it down between a Miller Dynasty and an HTP Invertig 221. I have friend that runs a couple of Dynasty's, but I don't weld for a living so it's hard for me to shell out $5K for a dynasty 200. I have yet to find anyone say anything negative about HTP or their Invertig 221. Hopefully, I won't be the first.

So, I finally broke down and bought an HTP Invertig 221. I'm stoked about learning how to tig. It should arrived towards the end of next week and I expect it to take a couple weeks before I start being able to lay down a half *** bead. I've got a lot to learn! I'll keep you guys updated...

Unread 04-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
GrantLasson
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I got an invertig last Christmas. It's been a lot of fun. TIG welding is so controlled--it's hard to imagine going back. Unfortunately, I hardly have any free time. There are a lot of projects that I'd love to build but I'm making progress on none of them right now.
GrantLasson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I could kick myself in the but for missing that sale they had during Christmas...
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I love HTP. When I spring for a TIG, I'll buy theirs. I run their MIG200 with a flex neck gun and love it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The Invertig came in yesterday. They shipped it out quick and it was packaged well. Very nice looking machine. Feels solid if you know what I mean... Since I've been wanting a tig for 5 years or so, I went ahead and sprung for the dual voltage and water cooled version. Unfortunately, I have no tig experience other that watching some friends at a speed shop weld with a miller 200DX, so I won't be able to do any machine comparisons.

I'm going to start on some 11-16g mild steel scraps to learn.
The machine is actually simpler to configure than I expected. But tig'n is kind of like playing an instrument. It takes a bit to get the coordination down. Right hand torch/ left hand rod/ right foot on pedal/ plus listening to and watching the puddle. When I first started, I was thinking "wow, this is going to be tough". But I'm starting to get a rhythm going. I definitely got a respect for those that do if for a living. Its one thing to be able to weld in perfect conditions another do be able to do it in crazy positions.

Once I get the hang of mild steel, I'll start playing with some aluminum.
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
GrantLasson
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TIG consumables

weldingsupply.com is your friend. Affordable consumables in large quantities.

Have fun.
GrantLasson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quick shot of my temporary location. I can't stand everything being strolled out... I'm going to have to make a tig cart. It'll be good practice. I'd make it out of aluminum if it weren't so freak'n high.
image-3165386771.jpg  
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

In all honesty, aluminum isn't that speedy. It's pretty easy to find for $2.50 - $3.00 a pound and sometimes down to $1.75. Steel is about $0.60 - $1.00 but is 3 times the weight. If you do the math on it they're not too different. I sell metal for a living and we have tons of examples where aluminum is actually cheaper. So don't fear the price, cuz steel isn't much if at all cheaper
jaspepp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspepp
In all honesty, aluminum isn't that speedy. It's pretty easy to find for $2.50 - $3.00 a pound and sometimes down to $1.75. Steel is about $0.60 - $1.00 but is 3 times the weight. If you do the math on it they're not too different. I sell metal for a living and we have tons of examples where aluminum is actually cheaper. So don't fear the price, cuz steel isn't much if at all cheaper
Grade and shape can make a huge difference in price. Out of curiosity, what would you sell a piece of 8"x8"x12" 6061 aluminum for?

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspepp View Post
That might be scrap piles somewhere..but there is a HUGE difference in the price between a sheet of,lets say 4'x8'x1/8" aluminum and common steel.....

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
el_magico
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet deal! Thats a nice looking set up. I would recommend checking out weldingtipsandtricks on youtube. Plenty of great information from Jody using many different types and brands of equipment. He will give you drills to work on etc. For aluminum, since your machine has the ability, set your balance between 68 and 75 depending on the oxidation on the surface since aluminum melts at a lower temperature than the oxidation. The frequency will vary depending on the thickness im usually around 90 to 100hz with the Dynasty 200. but you will find your sweet spot. Also practice feeding filler with both hands as well as controlling the torch with both hands. Also switching from left to right foot and sitting and standing. couple weeks you'll be a pro!
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I've watched Jody in the past. Pretty good info...
Started on a welding cart to hold my cooler and welder. I could probably throw on some wheels and call it good, but what fun would that be?
I'll add some tig rod holder and a slide out drawer or two for my consumables. And since I enjoy tinkering, I may see if I can give it a "Jeep" theme.
image-2995902183.jpg  
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Started playing some with 14 gauge aluminum sheet metal... Wow what a different animal. Ha, It took about ten 3' rods before I could start laying a bead that I was happy with. That's just beads, no joints. But, it's crazy how much better my hand eye coordination is now. Still got tons to learn, but it's a lot of fun.

On steel, one thing that's killing me is welding vertically on the inside corner . I just can't see my puddle. I'm comfortable with the outside corners, but I'm going to do some more researching on the inside corners...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.