opinions- patch or new panel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > opinions- patch or new panel?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 02-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
RJMICP
1984 CJ7 

opinions- patch or new panel?

I bought a whole replacement rocker panel and was originally going to just try to replace the whole thing, but after reading a bit, I'm not quite sure... attached is the pic... what do you all think? give some advice/opinions?

jeep-rust.jpg  
RJMICP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Generally, I try to replace as small an area as I can... especially, if the replacement panel has alot of complicated attachment points. However, some panels are easier to replace than others so I guess you'd just have to weigh the pros/cons.

How complete is the replacement panel? Where does it attach? How hard to remove the existing panel? Is that all the rust? These are the types of questions that will determine the point at which a panel replacement outweighs the patch panel... or vice-versa.

If the rust doesn't get up into the "Jeep" lettering, I'd really try to save the lettering... leaning toward a patch panel.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Since itís a flat piece that needs replacing I say to cut out the rusted part and replace it with new metal.
Unread 02-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What is bad about that spot is what is behind it and under the plastic that can not be seen in that picture. That one spot seems to be the spot that just about all the YJ's rust out from the inside out. You should fix he reason moisture is retained in the area before you seal it up.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
zeronight
1982 CJ7 

i vote for a patch but i think you are going to loose the p eather way. and the price of replacement pannels with jeep stamped in it are crazy high in my opinion.
good luck!
zeronight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Since itís a flat piece that needs replacing I say to cut out the rusted part and replace it with new metal.
That's what I would do also.I understand you will loose the jeep lettering after you get to cutting but its way easier and cheaper.if you get a fiberglass tub they dont have the letters and I have seen a few of the raised letter stickers places that are really close to being the same as what the metal is raised.
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
RJMICP
1984 CJ7 

ah, in that case then, should I just cut the whole "Jeep" emblem so it doesn't look like an illiterate "Jee" that I drive? probably be a little easier to get it to look better with the weld too..
RJMICP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yuppers
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

I think you might get your feelings hurt when you start grinding. You're going to find a lot more rust than you might think is there.

I agree with saving the Jeep lettering. If it's rusted into your lettering, I'd go to a U-pick salvage yard and cut some out of a junk Jeep.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Someone on here a while back did that and then welded the "Jeep" part back in upside down. It looked pretty cool IMO.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Once you have a hole that big... I'd find a rust free tub and start over. It ain't the only place it's a rust bucket.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.