I'm having a local fab shop put a custom cage in my LJ in a couple of weeks and I'm wanting to give them a little direction on how I want it. They do a lot of fab work on their own off road racing team as well as for other teams so they do know how to fab so I'm not worried about them building it wrong. It seems like the majority of full replacement cages somewhat mirror each other in their designs and if anyone here has input on little things to add or watch out for, that would be great.
Here are a few pics that I'll give them to look at:
I went over a list of things with them and will do so again when I drop the LJ off, so far a few things I'm thinking about are:
- has to work with my hard top and factory soft top, this includes the door surrounds and soft top mounts on B pillar
- I'd like the factory overhead speaker pods to mount up and work
- the A pillar down tubes will go through the dash and not have the angle steel around the dash
- I want at least 2 grab handles, a driver and passenger side one. Maybe one on the lower windshield bar? (like the genright one on the blue jeep)
- I like the 2 parallel bars in the center going from windshield to B pillar bar, they are going to incorporate my CB mount there overhead
As of right now I will not be putting in seat mounts or a harness bar since the backseat gets used all the time by my 2 year old son.
The main reason for my going this route is by the time I added up the cost for buying, lets say, a poison spider trail cage, rear spreader bar and upgraded header bars I'd be around the $800+ mark and still have to weld it up, paint and install. I could get a lazer cut cage for $1,100 + shipping, thin I'd still have to weld it, paint and install. I'm getting a full on 6 point cage built from scratch for about $1,500 and all I have to do is drop it off.
I wouldn't mind building one from scratch since I can weld and do have a bender I can use but with a 2 year old son my time is very limited.
If anyone has any suggestions, opinions, comments, etc. about adding to or tweaking these cage designs lets hear it!