Offroad Trailer Restoration Project - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Offroad Trailer Restoration Project

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #31
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you were going to weld those joints, you probably should have done so before painting the parts. Since it seems to have held up fine for years without being welded, I would just bolt it together with new hardware and call it good. Being able to take it apart and work on it in smaller chunks seems to have been more convenient for you anyway.

Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #32
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf1994 View Post
What fenders are those? I like the looks of them...
I cant remember where I ordered them. Basically googled jeep style trailer fender. Theyre 36" wide. It was much easier finding the round ones but this look a little more Jeep to me.
Unread 01-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #33
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
I cant remember where I ordered them. Basically googled jeep style trailer fender. Theyre 36" wide. It was much easier finding the round ones but this look a little more Jeep to me.
Just wondering, as we rebuilt our 5x8 utility trailer a few years ago after driving way too far with 4,000lbs on a 1,000lb axle. Needless to say, we bought a new (upgraded) axle the bearings were so shot. We never put the (round) fenders back on, as they were dented to hell after letting a good friend borrow the trailer. He didn't latch the hitch, it bounced off the ball, broke the safety chains, and plowed through a stop sign into a ditch... I was just looking to put some new ones on to cover up the wheels. I found some cheap aluminum diamond plate ones on Northern Tool after a little searching.
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #34
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netpackrat View Post
If you were going to weld those joints, you probably should have done so before painting the parts. Since it seems to have held up fine for years without being welded, I would just bolt it together with new hardware and call it good. Being able to take it apart and work on it in smaller chunks seems to have been more convenient for you anyway.
Nah, Im going to wire wheel the paint off where Ill weld then paint over the welds. It did hold up bolted but if you could see the exact design, it leaves a little to be desired in strength. For example, the rear "face" doesnt even attach to the rest of the frame. It originally relied on the wood and top thin metal to keep it attached. There was no reason it wouldnt be welded to the frame. Like I said, Ill keep it to where the wood can be replaced but strengthen the rest.
Unread 01-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #35
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf1994 View Post
Just wondering, as we rebuilt our 5x8 utility trailer a few years ago after driving way too far with 4,000lbs on a 1,000lb axle. Needless to say, we bought a new (upgraded) axle the bearings were so shot. We never put the (round) fenders back on, as they were dented to hell after letting a good friend borrow the trailer. He didn't latch the hitch, it bounced off the ball, broke the safety chains, and plowed through a stop sign into a ditch... I was just looking to put some new ones on to cover up the wheels. I found some cheap aluminum diamond plate ones on Northern Tool after a little searching.
Let me dig through some emails, I should be able to tell you exactly where.

edit: here ya go:

http://recstuff.com/36x10singleaxle1...lerfender.aspx
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #36
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Those fenders are pretty standard, I've got them on my homebuilt trailer.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #37
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

More progress:

Welded the rear face on:

Flipped it to weld in the front "patches." The patches arent the only thing holding the front face on but it seemed sill not to have it attached there. I needed the scrap because there was a gap between the side rail and front face.

Put the axle up on top to make putting the hubs back on easier. Its actually sprung under so its just sitting there right now. I did end up replacing all the bearings and seals.

If my wheel spacers ever get here Ill be able to flip it back over and start adding in some flat stock to brace the wood planks.

What do you guys think about stock TJ shocks? Ive got some extra from my jeep. You think theyd be too much for this light trailer? And Dave, youre right, those 3 leafs are too much. I has trying to bounce on the axle and it wouldnt budge. I dont weigh that much but it should have moved a little. I was thinking of going down to 1 leaf and adding the Jeep shocks.
Unread 02-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #38
2003Sahara
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have been thinking about doing the same thing for 3 years. Cant wait to see the end result. Thanks for sharing this I prob will bogart a few ideas.

Last edited by 2003Sahara; 02-03-2011 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: mistake
2003Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #39
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Heres a few more pics. Got the hubs finished and wheel spacers on also welded some slats across the "bed" as supports. Ive got today off and I plan on making a frame and mount for the tongue box, weld in some slats for support on the sides and possibly starting to put the wood in. Not sure though, its nasty cold and raining today, dont know if Ill make it out to Lowes.

Unread 02-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #40
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Taking a lunch break so I figured Id upload what Ive done so far today:

Needed to make a mounting point for the tongue box:

And got the top part of the frame all boxed in:

Now Im pretty much waiting on the paint to dry. Ill probably eat lunch then run up to lowes and grab some lumber and get started on filling it all in. Im getting excited now that its starting to come together.
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #41
99WJNM
1999 WJ 

thats cool looks great. i have a old army trailer i got for free from a uncle that i have planned for restore/rebuild i guess i may do a thread also.
99WJNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #42
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJNM View Post
thats cool looks great. i have a old army trailer i got for free from a uncle that i have planned for restore/rebuild i guess i may do a thread also.
Is it an M416? I was trying to get ahold of one of those but the cheap ones are hard to come by. Yeah, definitely do a build thread. I love watching everyone's projects!
Unread 02-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #43
99WJNM
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
Is it an M416? I was trying to get ahold of one of those but the cheap ones are hard to come by. Yeah, definitely do a build thread. I love watching everyone's projects!
heck i'm not sure i will post pics when i start tho. maybe it will be identified then.
99WJNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #44
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

And heres where I finished tonight. I got the bed done. 1x4 slats. That is some back breaking work drilling all those holes. The woods the easy part, each bolt goes through metal too. Lots of bolts.... I started on one side but both my drill batteries were dead. Good time to call it a night.

Unread 02-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #45
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Its a Trailer! Im pretty much finished. The only thing I have left to do is build a tailgate and add a tongue Jack. I sealed all the wood, you should be able to tell by the different colors of the wood as the pictures progress. I think I decided against the fenders. We dont have fender laws down here in MS and I like the look better without them. Plus it made it a lot easier to add the shovel and axe without them. Pics:

Not sure why this pic makes the whole thing look crooked, its not. It might be the light or the jackstands...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.