Offroad Trailer Restoration Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Offroad Trailer Restoration Project

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Offroad Trailer Restoration Project

So, the story is, Ive been wanting to build an offroad trailer for quite a while. It would primarily be used for camping. Ive even got plans drawn out and costs laid out. Problem is that the cost and my wallet dont agree.

I was digging around craigslist last week and found one... in terrible shape. The owner said it was featured in some offroad magazine at one point in time. That wasnt really a selling point for me, just something he said. One thing I really like is that it was built to be behind a Jeep. The axle width is the same. And even in its rough shape, it tracked behind my LJ going 70 down the interstate like it wasnt even there. I got it for $175. Upon further inspection, I dont think it was really a steal. It was however a good starting point. The tires are dry rotted and theres surface rust on everything metal, not metal rot though. The wood was completely rotted through. Thats ok though because it was going to be replaced from the get go.

So, the whole point of this project is going to be to produce a cool offroad camping trailer on a strict budget. I already ordered a couple of those fist clamps for a shovel and axe. Ill be adding a Jerrycan mount (leftover from my tire carrier build), and maybe power, not sure about that yet. The rims will be blasted and repainted instead of replaced, same with all the steel.

OK, enough chat. I forgot to snap a pic before the tear down started but I did snap one from the opposite side so you could at least get the idea before it was completely torn apart.

Ill post up pics as it comes along.

Unread 01-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Some POR-15 and rattle can topcoat, new plywood, fresh hardware and bearings, a better set of used tires off craigslist, done. I think you got a fair deal.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
slowlowford
1992 YJ Wrangler 

A little clan up it will be good. Depending on the axle you would have spent close to that on a new one anyway, and now you have some extra steel. I think it was an ok deal depending how much you are changing it.
Unread 01-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wont be changing it too much. Like I said, Im going to clean all the metal and then paint. Instead of bolting together Im going to weld a few of the joints. And Im not doing plywood. I want to do metal but the budget doesnt allow for it. The fenders werent really salvageable. They were very thin to begin with and probably wouldnt survive cleaning. I ordered a new set for like $70. I am on the lookout for some craigslist tires. A guy in our Jeep Club has a set of matching 35" GY MTRs (theyre what I have on my Jeep) for sale for $175. Im going to try to get 2 of them off of him.
Unread 01-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

not bad, looking forward to seeing what you put together.

whats the inside box dimensions?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The inside box is roughly 3' 6" x 4' 10." Ill probably be running 2x4s or 2x6s for the floor and sides. Figure that would look a little better than plywood. Ive been in the garage all morning with the wire wheel. This is pretty time consuming but I think its going to turn out good.
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

that is sweet! ive found several 1/4 ton military trailers but they are all just a little too big for me. that one is perfect. thinking of putting an ARB pop-up on top?
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlrubicon05 View Post
that is sweet! ive found several 1/4 ton military trailers but they are all just a little too big for me. that one is perfect. thinking of putting an ARB pop-up on top?
Id like to eventually (some pop-up, probably not ARB). Right now, Im not sure if it'd support it or not. Ill eventually build something more stout but right now Im just re-using the current metal. the top overhang is pretty thin.

Where are you finding military 1/4 tons? I cant find a cheap M416 to save my life. Not willing to pay $800 on eBay for a rust pile.
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've found a couple on Atlanta Craigslist and a few at the PA jeeps show. They look too big to me if you want to tow them through the woods... and alot of tlc is needed too
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like a little much but if you like it. Yea M416's run about 600-1000 for a decent to good one. M100 is an option too. The M101a1 is a 1/2ton and might be towable with the LJ. Buts its wider than the jeep probably.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
4bangerYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
The inside box is roughly 3' 6" x 4' 10." Ill probably be running 2x4s or 2x6s for the floor and sides. Figure that would look a little better than plywood. Ive been in the garage all morning with the wire wheel. This is pretty time consuming but I think its going to turn out good.
I'd look at some 1x4 or 1x6 to help with costs and keep the weight down. Should be plenty strong for camp gear.
Nice find. I have been wanting to build something like this for years.
4bangerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangerYJ View Post
I'd look at some 1x4 or 1x6 to help with costs and keep the weight down. Should be plenty strong for camp gear.
Nice find. I have been wanting to build something like this for years.
You know, I must have brain farted when I typed that. Youre absolutely right, my original plan was 1x4 or 1x6. I guess I had 2x4s on the brain.
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Seems like a little much but if you like it. Yea M416's run about 600-1000 for a decent to good one. M100 is an option too. The M101a1 is a 1/2ton and might be towable with the LJ. Buts its wider than the jeep probably.
There were a bunch of M101As up for auction here last week. All in good shape, some with rails and tops. They were going for about $3-$400, excellent prices. Theyre just too big. I even considered cutting one down but this little hunker I have now should work.
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

have you considered re-using that axle and doing something like this

http://www.wildyoats.com/off_road_trailer_build.htm

seems simple enough right? I've been doing some research on doing a similar project and an axle with a 5 lug 4.5" hub would cost be around 300. Looks like you scored a deal
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
Jafo1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great looking project you got going on. Can't wait til I can build/re-build my own trailer like this. BTW what model Hobart welder you got?

thanks for posting your project.
Jafo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.