Offroad trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Offroad trailer

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
frumpy

Offroad trailer

I have been looking at a lot of these "offroad trailer" threads and am starting to think about getting/making one for myself.

I was origianlly thinking I was going to tow my jeep but most the trails here are close by and not much outside of 3 hours for wheeling unless you go a lot further.

I'm currently watching kijiji for a cheap utility trailer to overhaul. I'm pretty set on a utility trailer because it will not see much trails at all. I more so want it for carrying my spare tire, extra tools, camping gear, big cooler etc.

I'm trying to find something around 4x6 and plan on running 33" tires on it (and my jeep).

Now for my questions. Whats the best way to lift it to the proper hieght? I'm hoping SOA will put it close but if not should I be going to the wreckers to find some springs, build a custom pack, or just go out to a trailer store and buy some. Also, I would like to make it enclosed so I can use the top to set up a tent and keep it off the ground (and hopefully level).

Guess I'm just looking for ideas and pics.
thanks

Unread 07-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
twobit
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Most trailers are built with the springs mounted under the axle tube. If you build your own, build it with the springs above the axle tube. This gives you about 3 to 4 more inches of clearance for off-road. Also use extended shackles at the leaf ends.

Some makers of tent trailers are now making off-road models with high clearance. Go to a camper dealer and look under these for construction ideas.
twobit is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.