The official : "Show off your welds thread" . - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > The official : "Show off your welds thread" .

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 02-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #106
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This thread is awesome. Very humbling for us newbies.

Here I put my exhaust back together with a stick of 7014 and a 110v AC stick welder from Harbor Freight.

And one of the braces on my cargo rack.

Every piece that I weld I learn more. Sometimes I realize that I have to go back and re-do everything else I've welded...

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #107
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Done with a MM211 1/8" to 1/8".
jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #108
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Dude.. you don't count... you have a whole sticky dedicated to your welding.. J/K Awesome work as usual!!
. These aren't part of that project. Thanks much!

High Pinion Dana 44 truss/link bridge for a 4-link project I am working on:

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #109
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

sorry for the crappy pic but i only have my phone camera
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #110
86cj7pete622
1986 CJ7 

Too young to weld???

My 6 year old son has been watching me weld my CJ together and one day he wanted to try it. I have a short video on youtube showing him weld two small peices of 3/16" rod together.
Now he just wants to keep on welding! Any other proud dads out there? Anyone see any issues with a 6yo trying? I take all safety precautions (well vented, no skin showing, etc). A picture of his spot weld is at the end of the video.

I just switched over to gas (75/25) 3 months ago after using flux for 3-4 years. I somewhat had the stacked dime look going on with flux but now seem to be back at square one with gas (heck of a lot less spatter now)...it's all about practice. I have a Lincoln, 120v 3200HD Weld-pak that I bought at HomeDepot, I'm very happy with it. I'll get some pics on here one day.

Thanks,
Pete. 86 CJ7, 258, 4"BDS, 33", currently in a million pieces
86cj7pete622 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #111
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

i see no issues at all. you are taking the time to engrain the importance of safe welding. if he learns it this way he wont be tempted to do small welds without a helmet or try using sun glasses. i think its a great thing and nothing less. i first welded when i was 10 and loved it. i still weld as good as any 10 year old but im always willing to learn new tricks.
SGTCornewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #112
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

webdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #113
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

They're not professional looking welds... but I thought it came out pretty well for using a cheap harbor freight flux core welder.

You can see the build thread here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...thread-1166833

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #114
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here are some of mine. Lincoln 140, using flux core on some 1/4 tubing. I hate flux core, slag everywhere. I bought my welder about 6 months ago.

What do you think about this next picture. My welders max is supposed to be 1/4 inch. How does the penetration look? Is there anyway to tell from a picture like this?
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #115
Wintermute
1967 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee-at-16 View Post
What do you think about this next picture. My welders max is supposed to be 1/4 inch. How does the penetration look? Is there anyway to tell from a picture like this?
A better way to check would be to take two pieces of 1/4" plate, bevel the edges down (around 32* bevel on each will work well). Weld them first in a single pass, cut the plates across so that you can see a cross section of the weld. Sand and polish that and it will let you see how good the penetration.

--Wintermute
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #116
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
A better way to check would be to take two pieces of 1/4" plate, bevel the edges down (around 32* bevel on each will work well). Weld them first in a single pass, cut the plates across so that you can see a cross section of the weld. Sand and polish that and it will let you see how good the penetration.

--Wintermute
Cut, sand, and polish with what? Never sanded or polished metal before.
I usually cut with an angle grinder, will that distort anything?
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #117
Wintermute
1967 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee-at-16 View Post
Cut, sand, and polish with what? Never sanded or polished metal before.
I usually cut with an angle grinder, will that distort anything?
go ahead and cut it with an angle grinder, that won't be a problem, just make sure the cut is straight and clean. Then sand it down smooth and polish it down with sand paper until you get down to about 400grit. After that you may be able to see the difference in metal color which will show the penetration level into the substrate metal. If you still can't see the difference, you may need to polish more or even etch it with some Ferric Chloride (PCB etchant...available at Fry's, radio shack, etc...).

Since you'll be able to see the penetration, it will show you how well the weld worked on it's max thickness material. What I can tell you is that without bevelling, you aren't going to have penetrated all the way through the material at all. Even on my Millermatic 210, I probably wouldn't penetrate all the way through the two plates if they weren't bevelled and I was set on max heat.

--Wintermute
Unread 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #118
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

A couple reads on types of weld tests and some products to use for an acid etch test so we don;t get too far off subject in the thread..

http://www.welding-technology-machin.../etch-test.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/my/welding/test.html

Most don't understand that just because a welder advertises 1/4" max..does NOT mean it will burn a pass through 1/4" of steel in one pass with no beveling.
That is there to tell you that they only recommend welding 1/4" base metal because any thicker than that it is recomended to use a preheat because the machine just simply does not put out enough heat/amperage to prevent the Heat Sink Effect and penetration needed.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #119
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lincoln 125 mig.

My best yet and wish they all looked this way:

Biggest learning experience was this sheet metal project:

35sUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #120
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here's one of my practice tig beads.

99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.