The official : "Show off your welds thread" . - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > The official : "Show off your welds thread" .

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #76
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

anybody welding on Ti? i've always wanted to know how that's done.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #77
ktmman656

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Buy a welding jacket/shirt

I was wondering the same thing. By the ball point pen in the first pic it is something very small. Lots of talent to make welds on that scale look good!
carhartt has been woorking good but i dont use it in the summer time
ktmman656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #78
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

No good picture of my welds, but here's a cool picture of me doing it.

FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #79
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

GREAT thread!..i been busy workin for a brand new Industrial Services Company trying to help them get off the ground ,but have this weekend off,which i already planned on breaking out a few of my welders today anyhow to help an apprentice brush up on his welding for a stick test he has coming up,so i'll lay a few beads with my Miller Maxstar 200DX and Lincoln 180 Wirefeed today and post some pictures to get in the "groove" with you guys

I don't have 100% argon for any TIG,so that'll have to wait until i get the Miller setup for that.

I can NOT post any pics of the welding i do at nuclear power plants and Government work,,unless i want to buy a lawyer and have a long vacation at one of the 5 star Federal Hotels..lol

I LOVE these kind of threads..shows the actual talent and knowledge rather than just rambling on ...

There is some GREAT talent on this board..GLAD to see it

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #80
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242much View Post
anybody welding on Ti? i've always wanted to know how that's done.
Ti is done with the tig process in an oxygen free environment.Oxygen contaminates Ti .I used to weld alot of Ti when I worked in the aircraft industry on C-5's.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #81
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

so you need to weld in some kind of box? a vacuum? how's that work? kinda explains why it's so dang expensive, that and the initial material cost.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #82
Sacred_Asylum
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so you need to weld in some kind of box? a vacuum? how's that work? kinda explains why it's so dang expensive, that and the initial material cost.
maybe a cleanroom?
Sacred_Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #83
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This might explain why it is so expensive and almost impossible to weld at home unless you have a TON of money for the right equipment...

http://www.thefabricator.com/article...ou-can-weld-it

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 01-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #84
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just a few shots of E7018 3/32" Stick while i was setting up my Miller Maxstar 200 DX for the first time..MAN this machine is SWEET ,but you need to do study the manual on all the features..even on the stick process.

1st picture running a T flat

2nd pic is 3 stingers(muliple passes) for a fill

3rd pic is a vertical single pass ,no weaving

4th is my Miller Maxstar 200 DX that i used that i bought used last year and just now getting around to setting it up,soon getting another 100% Argon bottle to run TIG on it when needed also

Keep in mind..if you look at the scrap steel i brought home from work,it is all rust pitted and needed alot of grinding around the weldment area so it was a PITA to get some 1/2 way acceptable welds

I'll be messing with this machine alot more tomorrow and take more pics,will also run a few MIG and Fluxcore passes too with my Lincoln 180
weldtestflat1pass2.jpg   weldtestflat3pass2.jpg   weldtestvert1pass.jpg   weldtestmiller200.jpg  

Never forget 9/11

Unread 01-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #85
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a little bit bigger full pen weld I made earlier in the week again using FCAW-G TM-RX7 1/16" wire

I need to take a real camera with me so I can get some pics with a little more resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #86
ktmman656

while re-building and upgrading my trailer

dont have any upclose pics of the welds on this fender i fabed

ktmman656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #87
Foreveralout

the first is 10g stainless

in the second pic the base plate is 3/4, the gussets are 1/2 ", and i beleive that is 13" pipe 10 ft tall.
sorry they aren't up close.
Foreveralout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #88
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ran a few MIG and Fluxcore beads today with my Lincoln 180.

1st pic is .035 fluxcore 3 stringers

2nd pic is .035 MIG single pass

3rd is also .035 MIG 3 passes

4th is a pic of my Lincoln 180 220v
fluxcore1.jpg   mig1pass.jpg   mig3passes.jpg   lincoln180-.jpg  

Never forget 9/11

Unread 01-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #89
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lets see some more Stick welds!

Thats one thing our apprentices learn before they ever touch an Auto or Semi Auto process..welding is just a tool to us kinda like a saw or claw hammer is to a carpenter,but Stick welding is alot harder to get a hand on than anything else accept TIG and Stick is still widely used in feild fabrication,erection and repairs,some of them get a lil upset because they plan to just work in a fab shop somewhere,but rules are rules to become a journeyman International Ironworker
Our Apprenticeship has gotten real hard in the past 10 years or so,when i started it was a 2 year apprenticeship..now most of the International locals are doing a 4 year apprenticeship and they have to learn some minor metalurgy..rigging formulas..etc..alot of math and book knowledge now a days,plus even the apprentices are prone to random drug testing and if they fail once..GONE..HISTORY.

Lets see some more Stick welding!

Never forget 9/11

Unread 01-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #90
jpywell52
1979 CJ7 

I did TI i guess 10 years ago or so. Built a bicycle out of it under the supervision of a pro. Used TIG, back-purged all the tubes with Argon, then used argon and a very large gas cup and a high flow rate. Go slow, make perfect miters and its not too bad, easier than aluminum I thought. I think you have to use a 100 tungsten electrode as well and a pulser unit. but like i said its been a while. Now I'm just brazing and oxy-gas welding. Miss that Syncrowave.
jpywell52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.