The official : "Show off your welds thread" . - Page 39 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > The official : "Show off your welds thread" .

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #571
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Welding the wear bars on the bottomside of the shell of an excavator bucket:
1/16" wire, 29.7v.

Unread 03-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #572
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
While I respect your years of experience in welding, I completely disagree that you have to stop walking the cup at a certain point. The rate you move as you're tig welding is low enough that you can roll the gas cup back and forth right over the crown of the pass you're making... not sure why you would need only base metal to keep the cup on.

And as far as not wanting to walk the cup... I suppose its all in how you're taught - if you want to do it the hard way thats fine.
I agree, I walk the cup on my root and cover pass on pipe all the time. Stainless and carbon. even 6g

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...&v=yVr6TrAndec
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #573
13below0

Some recent stuff that I have messed with.

13below0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #574
GingerWrangler

You're getting there! just a bit more practice 13 below!

Loving that jig. Very neat!
GingerWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #575
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

New spring perches on my 46 Willys, to correct the pinion angle. I only have 110 at the house :-( But I hope these hold! My first time welding anything that's really structural on my jeeps. The welds seem to be fairly flat, I hope it's penetrated enough!

I was doing a side to side zig zag pattern, in hind site, I think I should have been doing a loop loop cursive e shape, it looks to spotty, tack tack tack looking.

Unread 03-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #576
zephyr80
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
New spring perches on my 46 Willys, to correct the pinion angle. I only have 110 at the house :-( But I hope these hold! My first time welding anything that's really structural on my jeeps. The welds seem to be fairly flat, I hope it's penetrated enough!

I was doing a side to side zig zag pattern, in hind site, I think I should have been doing a loop loop cursive e shape, it looks to spotty, tack tack tack looking.
It looks to me like you were moving way too fast or your volts were too low. Should hold though for what it is, i think. Im experienced in welding, not axles

Sent from?
zephyr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #577
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I was doing a side to side zig zag pattern, in hind site, I think I should have been doing a loop loop cursive e shape, it looks to spotty, tack tack tack
A little less wire speed, more heat and don't move so fast. I have definitely seen worse but you may want to try burning them in a little more.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #578
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

13below : Nice weave bro, I like it!
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #579
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo-Slice View Post
A little less wire speed, more heat and don't move so fast. I have definitely seen worse but you may want to try burning them in a little more.
I gave it all she had, power was maxed out on 110. I've given her all she's got captain! </Scotty> Yea, I think I was moving to fast.
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #580
zephyr80
2000 WJ 

Quote:

I gave it all she had, power was maxed out on 110. I've given her all she's got captain! </Scotty> Yea, I think I was moving to fast.
I have a 110 at home that i do all my welding with and if Im doing 3/16 or 1/4" material, volts are maxed and wire is coming out at like 25%. takes a long time to weld but it gets the job done

Sent from?
zephyr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #581
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, I think I'm just used to thinner materials, so I was moving to fast
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #582
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

110v?
Well. To each his own, but I see a ton of weak spots in the weld, beyond the fact that it looks extremely cold. You should have at least preheated the crap out of it. I would never want to use 110v on suspension components.
I have a buddy of mine with an 8.8 out back on his XJ. The perches were welded with 220v and done well enough. He managed to crack the welds and the axle spun, taking out his driveshaft. (Granted, it was spring over, with a stroker, on 35"s)

Not bad welding at all for a novice, but not something I'd test on suspension components.
Unread 03-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #583
03ranger4oh

@Danielbuck I would grind those out and redo it. Preheat well and multipass those welds. You can do it with 110 but it'll be tricky. Run it as hot as you can, go slow but don't weave it too wide. You'll end up being plenty wide with multiple passes.
03ranger4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #584
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed. ^ those welds should probably be ground out and hit again. Preheat the tubes to probably 200 or so and then give it another go with a multi pass. The welds will wet in a ton better. You'll notice a big difference
jaspepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #585
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

1/16" wire again. I just welded up a piece of scrap to show my father, he's always interested in it what I'm doing, partly because he's been bugging me to show him how to weld for little house projects.
Not perfect, I actually caught my coveralls on the corner of the table while I was welding, but anyway, this thread's been a little dead.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.