The official : "Show off your welds thread" . - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > The official : "Show off your welds thread" .

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Reply
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #526
zephyr80
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: keizer, Oregon
Posts: 390
Walking the cup was fairly easy to learn since i have had the privilege of drinking a beer or two in my time. i have always seem to have done it without even knowing what i was doing, hold the beer bottle by the "neck" of the bottle with out spilling your beer. similar as to how you would hold a pencil. place the base of the bottle on your leg or coffee table next to you and get the bottle to move to the end by rocking or rolling the bottle "not sliding it" by tilting the angle of travel forward each time you rock or roll the bottle side to side. that is how you walk the cup.
it is not considered walking the cup when all you are doing is manipulating the puddle by free handing it. and if the pipe weld was done properly, the seam on the inside get welded at the same time that you are doing your root pass and would not have to weld the inside. but then again there are different procedures for every application.

zephyr80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #527
zephyr80
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: keizer, Oregon
Posts: 390
This was done using a Lincoln 225 arc welder,90 amps, 1/8" 6010 rod on 1/4 flat bar mild steel, 3 layers of welds (6 total beads) overhead about 2 months after i started to learn how to weld.
resize2.jpg   resize.jpg  
zephyr80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #528
andrewmacc
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 608
I don't think the pics are big enough. Can you make them bigger?
__________________
"Chilton's and Haynes are for brake jobs, oil changes and starting campfires." - CJ7-Tim
'98 2dr/5spd Cherokee rockin' on tons, 5.9L V8 Magnum, HP60/14b, 5.13:1, locked, 14" coilovers, Dana 300 4:1 twin stick... oink oink!
andrewmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #529
Ironworker709
Moderator
 
Ironworker709's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Millen Area,Georgia
Posts: 3,343
Just as an FYI...i have and still do work around some of the FINEST pipe weldors in the world..nuke jobs..government jobs..chemical plants...etc etc...and very FEW i have ever seen welding pipe never uses the walk the cup method..maybe if in a bad position and impossible to so without screwing it up,but otherwise,walking the cup method is the most common method for TIG welding pipe/tube when it's feasible to do so.
I like to walk the cup..but i am FAR from being considered a "pro" at it..i just don't have the actual time under the hood welding pipe as the Pipefitter weldors i work around do.

Wasn't trying to start an argument or drag this all out further,just speaking of what i've seen and expereinced on job for the past 30+ years
__________________
Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #530
rixcj
Web Wheeler
 
rixcj's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 1,706
I work with about 300 tig weldors. NONE of us walk the cup. As a matter of fact, I had a student ( I am a tig instructor for nuclear, non-nuclear pipe, and structural tig quals) that came from another company, where he used to walk the cup all the time. I never told him NOT to walk the cup while he was qualifying here, he just decided to stop that technique and weld freehand.
__________________
'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #531
Shadownwpa
Senior Member
 
Shadownwpa's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Meadville, Pa
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj
I work with about 300 tig weldors. NONE of us walk the cup. As a matter of fact, I had a student ( I am a tig instructor for nuclear, non-nuclear pipe, and structural tig quals) that came from another company, where he used to walk the cup all the time. I never told him NOT to walk the cup while he was qualifying here, he just decided to stop that technique and weld freehand.
Do you have any actual busted tests or physical proof of the inferiority of the method?
__________________
My build thread...
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #532
rixcj
Web Wheeler
 
rixcj's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 1,706
No, I don't. That's because personally, I don't know anybody that uses that method.

I'm not gonging that method. I have no right to, because I've never done it. I'm not attacking anyone who uses it, but just answering statements like "if you want to do it the hard way that's fine." To me, freehand is not the "hard way."

You don't have to defend your position on this. Everybody welds their own way.
__________________
'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #533
zephyr80
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: keizer, Oregon
Posts: 390
I have only walked the cup for a couple of years and i have noticed that i can weld (uphill without stopping because pipe welding down hill is a no no from what i have learned) half way around the pipe...
I cannot weld that far freehand. and i have been taught the less stops and starts the better off you are.
but i said this before that there are many different procedures for the same application
zephyr80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #534
Ironworker709
Moderator
 
Ironworker709's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Millen Area,Georgia
Posts: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
I work with about 300 tig weldors. NONE of us walk the cup. As a matter of fact, I had a student ( I am a tig instructor for nuclear, non-nuclear pipe, and structural tig quals) that came from another company, where he used to walk the cup all the time. I never told him NOT to walk the cup while he was qualifying here, he just decided to stop that technique and weld freehand.
Not to argue,or say you are wrong...etc etc..just MY personal expereince in the feild all over the USA..including Electric Boat General Dynamics at the Savannah River Site in South Carolina where our locals handle all the weldors hiring in..........

Its ALWAYS been a very mi-nute percentage of weldors who weld pipe who use freehand compared to walking the cup on fill outs and caps..
..and not saying your wrong...Just what i've seen with my own eyes...
I find it hard to beleive out of 300 pipe weldors on a site never uses the "walking the cup" technique......

It's a well known technique for pipe welding for the fact it is just as good as freehand,plus less stops and starts..plus...you can keep your hand further from the heat and much better control and "systematic"once learned.....

Again...not arguing..just hard to "grasp"...
__________________
Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #535
Ironworker709
Moderator
 
Ironworker709's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Millen Area,Georgia
Posts: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr80 View Post
This was done using a Lincoln 225 arc welder,90 amps, 1/8" 6010 rod on 1/4 flat bar mild steel, 3 layers of welds (6 total beads) overhead about 2 months after i started to learn how to weld.
resized the pics for you...
__________________
Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #536
rixcj
Web Wheeler
 
rixcj's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Not to argue,or say you are wrong...etc etc..just MY personal expereince in the feild all over the USA..including Electric Boat General Dynamics at the Savannah River Site in South Carolina where our locals handle all the weldors hiring in..........

Its ALWAYS been a very mi-nute percentage of weldors who weld pipe who use freehand compared to walking the cup on fill outs and caps..
..and not saying your wrong...Just what i've seen with my own eyes...
I find it hard to beleive out of 300 pipe weldors on a site never uses the "walking the cup" technique......

It's a well known technique for pipe welding for the fact it is just as good as freehand,plus less stops and starts..plus...you can keep your hand further from the heat and much better control and "systematic"once learned.....

Again...not arguing..just hard to "grasp"...
Apparently, from all the feedback on this forum, walking the cup is the preferred method for tig.

I actually work at EB. I have nuclear and non-nuclear pipe quals, as well as teach and certify the new pipe welders and structural tig welders.

I, nor any of our tig welders use that particular method. I guess we're just old school...plus, much of our pipe welding consists of welding around obstacles, and in mirrors. So, you have to get creative as to holding the tig torch, using different gripping techniques.

Like I said, I'm not knocking it...if I haven't tried it, I have no right to.
__________________
'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #537
jaspepp
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: boise, ID
Posts: 376
First one is a machined part from 316 ss, i.d. On the square bit is about 1/2". Second one is 20 ga 304 ss. The last one is my first go at walking the cup on 304 ss pipe. I'm super impressed with people that free hand everything but gotta ask why not just walk the cup??? Once you figure out the hows of it, it's way easier
image-2726019345.jpg   image-120145641.jpg   image-2687704881.jpg  
__________________
"Idaho sucks!!!! Tell California"
jaspepp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #538
MO2500
Fabramicator
 
MO2500's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 6,637
Some TIG welds I did on the D60 I'm working on.


__________________
My Jeep Build
Useful tech links:
Stu-Offroad - great technical write-ups!
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #539
jaspepp
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: boise, ID
Posts: 376
What fill rod did you use? On that 60
jaspepp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #540
MO2500
Fabramicator
 
MO2500's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 6,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspepp View Post
What fill rod did you use? On that 60
309L SS rod. A few people suggested that or 312 because they are good for dissimilar steel. It worked really well, I didn't have any cracking as it cooled down and 309 seems to almost have like a cleaning effect of the weld joint. I had a welding instructor say they use to add some 309 filler when they were having trouble with inclusions and air pockets in a mild steel joint and 309 would clear it up.

A good nickle rod would probably be the best option but 309 is significantly cheaper than nickle rods. My D44 I did before this was just MIG'd with ER70s2 and I never had any issues with it so I'm not too worried about these tubes either, should be just fine.
__________________
My Jeep Build
Useful tech links:
Stu-Offroad - great technical write-ups!
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.