The official : "Show off your welds thread" . - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > The official : "Show off your welds thread" .

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #31
Pikes_Peak_Trailers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My welds, nor my triceps, are as nice as the OP but here goes.

These are all FCAW, no Gas, .030, often done outside, 1/8 steel. These were all done using a Hobart 125. Now using an Ironman 230, still no gas.

1-25-2011-8-18-01-pm.jpg  
[email]dave@pikespeaktrailers.com[/email]
Pikes_Peak_Trailers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #32
red rubi
So long pal!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can see I'm going to have to get some practice in once it gets a little warmer. Looks good guys!
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #33
Pikes_Peak_Trailers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here are my faves, in nor particular order. These are not mine - I lifted them from previous posts. I am inspired by this kind of work.
148535_164750826881092_100000385288035_391902_4153405_n.jpg   80610652.jpg   5435760946_large.jpg   dscn3361.jpg   img_2953.jpg  

Unread 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #34
Pikes_Peak_Trailers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krochus View Post
I predict much awesomeness to be contained in this thread

after SAW with a Lincoln LN9/DC600 combo

IIRC this one was what was going on in the first pic FCAW-G Miller dimension 652

What I wish I had a pic of was the welds I was making a year ago that attached the lateral stiffeners to the top flange for the cable anchor assemblies on the Missouri Paseo cable stay bridge. Picture a a stack of passes 8" high on a handweld weld that would take appx 30lbs of electrode to make
Can you describe, or point me to resources that discuss/detail using multi-pass to increase strength? In other words, instead of just running another bead on top or contiguous, what are the strategies to produce the strongest weld when multi-passing. If I were in a class, I would ask:

1) Should you run the first and subsequent beads at the same power/speed?
2) Is there a geographic strategy to where you lay the initial and subsequent beads?
3) etc.

My interest in this topic is primarily for strength, not aesthetics.

Thanks.
Dave.
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #35
EricRollerSkate
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Here are some pics of MIG welding...

A few TIG shots...

TIG welding brass...NASTY!!!

Esab MigMaster 250.

Thermal Dynamics 300 GTSW.

Rich

Why wear a flip flop on your left foot, and a steel toe on the right?
EricRollerSkate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #36
stuff2c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

damn! any of you fancy welders live in orlando? and do you want to practice on my 8.8 brackets? cuz my welds SUCK!!!

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"][COLOR="White"]If you are not a Jeep Forum Supporter maybe you should reconsider... It's already saved me 10x what my Supporter membership cost me.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="5"]"There is great need for a sarcasm font"[/SIZE]
stuff2c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #37
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Can you describe, or point me to resources that discuss/detail using multi-pass to increase strength? In other words, instead of just running another bead on top or contiguous, what are the strategies to produce the strongest weld when multi-passing. If I were in a class, I would ask:
I've never seen multiple passes employed for any other reason than to achieve the desired weld size or volume. For example as per our specified weld procedure you can make no larger than a 5/16" fillet in a single pass using FCAW-G or SMAW, 5/16 fillets are most common but 3/8 or even 1/2 aren't unheard of.

Now the welds above are a bit diffrent in that they're a "full penetration" weld. Meaning the members to be joined are welded homogeneously throughout 100% of the joint thickness. This odviously takes more than one pass.

So to answer you'd specific questions the answers are yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #38
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've never seen multiple passes employed for any other reason than to achieve the desired weld size or volume. For example as per our specified weld procedure you can make no larger than a 5/16" fillet in a single pass using FCAW-G or SMAW, 5/16 fillets are most common but 3/8 or even 1/2 aren't unheard of.

Now the welds above are a bit diffrent in that they're a "full penetration" weld. Meaning the members to be joined are welded homogeneously throughout 100% of the joint thickness. This odviously takes more than one pass.

So to answer you'd specific questions the answers are yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #39
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff2c View Post
damn! any of you fancy welders live in orlando? and do you want to practice on my 8.8 brackets? cuz my welds SUCK!!!
How's the weather down that way, if above 70 that may be conviencing enough to come
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #40
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rubi View Post
The easy answer Ryan, is it depends on which one you get.
I have an M211 which is very similar to the 180. I think they only draw about 25 amps full load.

Many people will run a #10 copper wire on a 30 amp breaker. I legally can't recommend that however, a M180 probably won't burn the house down set up like that either.

For my 211 I ran #8 copper and protected it at 40 amps (I just "happened" to have a nice length of 8/2 nm laying around You're not going to find that at your local Lowes).

The problem with welders is for convenience sake they come wired with a 50 amp plug. You can only put that plug into a 50 amp receptacle. The next guy that comes along, might just say " Gee! big wire, big outlet, big plug, that should work..." Could be a big problem.

Remember 1) the size of the load determines the size of the breaker. 2) The size of the breaker determines the size of the wire.

The real answer is because it's considered a "feeder" an Electrical Inspector would say the breaker needs be sized to the receptacle. The receptacle to the plug it fits, and the wire to the breaker. so that would mean #6 copper* wire and a 50 amp breaker.

* You can use #6 aluminum but I would stay away from that, it can easily be a hazard if installed incorrectly.

You'll be very happy with a M180
I was actually thinking i was going to go with 6 gauge, and 50 amp breaker just ot be on the safe side. sounds like i might have guess right!

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #41
ktmman656

Just foolin around praticing plug welds

ktmman656 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #42
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
I was actually thinking i was going to go with 6 gauge, and 50 amp breaker just ot be on the safe side. sounds like i might have guess right!
Yes that is a wise decision.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #43
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

need to get some pics with a real camera instead of just my phone.

MIG with .035 wire on a millermatic 210. Not nearly as pretty as others in this thread, but i think i do a decent job. all on 4x4x.250 box tube, beveled edges for a groove fill weld joint

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #44
stuff2c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrari View Post
How's the weather down that way, if above 70 that may be conviencing enough to come
heck I'll feed ya too... my brides a great cook... 70's all week

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"][COLOR="White"]If you are not a Jeep Forum Supporter maybe you should reconsider... It's already saved me 10x what my Supporter membership cost me.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="5"]"There is great need for a sarcasm font"[/SIZE]
stuff2c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #45
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You're offering food too? I just may have to take a trip to Florida!
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.