The official : "Show off your welds thread" . - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > The official : "Show off your welds thread" .

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 03-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #166
njbowhntr
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohndKc View Post
It was sunny so i thought i would weld a little bit. Trying to get more comfortable with 7018. Newer welder here so all criticism is welcome.
Your heat looks good. Looks like you are advancing too much. 7018 is a fast fill rod. Strike off, let the puddle fill, and then just slowly move rod in direction you wish. Make sure to keep rod in the puddle. You will be moving very slow, a 3/32" stick will move me about 3"-4" of weld. The longer you stay in the puddle before moving, the wider and higher the weld bead. The faster creates a skinnier lower weld bead. Remember that welding is a slow process.

I know what I just wrote does not sound like it makes alot of sense, it confuses me also to try and type it. It is easier for me to jump in the booth with someone than type it. Hope you are able to make sense of it.

Slow and steady makes a great weld. And lots of practice.

Unread 03-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #167
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Few more from today's bumper build...
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #168
njbowhntr
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here is what I had to build the other day. It has some mig welds and stick welds:

Some close ups of the mig stuff:

This is the side of the fish mouth:

This is the tight side of the fish mouth and a rolled mig joint:

This is a thread o' let welded with 6010 (5P+):

And this is my baby at work:

This baby is one stop shopping. I run .035 on the left and .045 on the right. I can run MIG, RMD, Pulse or Flux. Plus it has stick and Tig. It is all about putting out the inches of weld at work. The boss is only happy when your hood is down.
Unread 04-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #169
stone
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here are a few of mine

Unread 04-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #170
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Very nice job, guys!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #171
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Stone for president!!!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #172
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Back on track!

Those are some BEAUTIFUL welds!
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #173
GhostKnife

Am i running too hot on these?

Unread 04-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #174
njbowhntr
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostKnife View Post
Am i running too hot on these?

Your heat looks good. But your speed varies alot in the first weld to the left. If you look at the first weld you moved too slow at the bottom and top. You can see the two spots that are discolored compared to the other portion of your weld. The middle weld looks nice. Your speed and heat looks good.

Do you have any photos of the front sides of the weld? You can tell there also if you have any undercut.

What weld process were you using?
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #175
GhostKnife

I dont have any pictures of the front, but im stick welding, well learning too at work. were its all free and the machine shop has a bunch of scrap metal.
Unread 04-15-2011, 03:50 AM   #176
njbowhntr
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Your heat does not look bad. Make sure to clean up the weld and inspect the edges. Make sure you do not have any undercut. If you do, you have two options. Turn your heat down about 5 amps, then five more if you still see it. Second would be to wash your edges a bit, make a small "Z" motion with your stick while progressing forward.
Unread 04-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #177
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone View Post
Here are a few of mine ...
Beautiful work.
Unread 04-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #178
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

maybe not the best welds out there, but i think i did alright.
img_6461.jpg   img_6465.jpg   img_6466.jpg  

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #179
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My first weld ever with my hobart 140. Im running it flux cored until I get my tank filled. Take it easy on me now, it was my first attempt haha. I simply laid a bead on a bedpost that I ground the paint off of. Bead on the left was a test to see if i was grounded due to the paint. Bead on the right is my first real attempt. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
forumrunner_20110422_121212.jpg  
Unread 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #180
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyJayPA View Post
My first weld ever with my hobart 140. Im running it flux cored until I get my tank filled. Take it easy on me now, it was my first attempt haha. I simply laid a bead on a bedpost that I ground the paint off of. Bead on the left was a test to see if i was grounded due to the paint. Bead on the right is my first real attempt. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
take a brush to it after you weld it so we can see it better next time. I am no teacher so i wont comment on the weld, but it is hard to see.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.