The official : "Show off your welds thread" . - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > The official : "Show off your welds thread" .

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 03-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #136
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Here are a few more...

This is a truss that I made for my M20 rear axle..

Customers jobs...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #137
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice looking welds Rich! What are some of those other jobs you made?

Also, that is one stout looking truss!!
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #138
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo-Slice View Post

Thanks. They are just customer's jobs, built from drawings that they send me. I build all kinds of different things.

Rich

Unread 03-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #139
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo-Slice View Post

Seriously stout! What is that, 1/2" thick, or are the pics fooling me? It looks huge.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #140
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Seriously stout! What is that, 1/2" thick, or are the pics fooling me? It looks huge.
The main web is 3/8" thick, and the top wrap is 3/8" thick x 3/4" wide flatbar.

Rich

Unread 03-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #141
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

All 1" 316L Stainless I Stick welded for a nuclear power plant project tonight in the outside shop that we go in and start an outage monday night inside.
Crappy Cell phone pics
rxcavitystand.jpg   rxcavitystand1.jpg   rxcavitystand2.jpg   rxcavitystand3.jpg  

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #142
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I just went today and bought my welder, miller 180 autoset. 783 plus tax, to bad the total came to 1426 with all the fixin's. 129 CF bottle too.

I bought a Huntsman element auto darkening hood, the guy said he has sold alot of them, and everybody seems real happy with them. I was looking at the miller digital elite which is 320, the huntsman element was 114 bucks.

Will the huntsman be ok?

Weld pics to follow this weekend!!

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #143
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

The Huntsman should be fine.

Rich

Unread 03-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #144
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
I just went today and bought my welder, miller 180 autoset. 783 plus tax, to bad the total came to 1426 with all the fixin's. 129 CF bottle too.

I bought a Huntsman element auto darkening hood, the guy said he has sold alot of them, and everybody seems real happy with them. I was looking at the miller digital elite which is 320, the huntsman element was 114 bucks.

Will the huntsman be ok?

The Huntsman Element is a great shield for the money,they were giving them out to us a few years ago at a nuclear power plant i was working and was very pleased with it

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #145
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post

Will the huntsman be ok?

Congrats on the welder. I currently use the MM180 also and it has paid for itself dozens and dozens of times. You will be very happy with it.

For my situation however, I may upgrade to a MM212 down the road solely because of the 60% duty cycle versus the 30% the 180 has. But, it does take a lot of heavy burning to really hit the duty cycle. Building bumpers constantly like I do makes me hit the duty cycle on occasion.

Best of luck and post some pics of your beads when you get the machine up and running.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #146
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Still getting the hang of TIG welding. Here is the light hoop on my front bumper. Feedback please.

Unread 03-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #147
Diman

r08ert209cali ->
I believe I see some undercut, you maybe need to lower your amperage or/and decrease your speed so the groove fills properly.

Here's my stick welds on my new front bumper's winch plate.
used 6013 rod, multiple passes.

and some nuts :-)
Diman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #148
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r08ert209cali View Post
Still getting the hang of TIG welding. Here is the light hoop on my front bumper. Feedback please.

That's really not too bad. It'll probably never break, being that it is a light hoop.

Ideally, a little more weld wire fed into the puddle would give you a "meatier"'(thicker) bead.

What are you using for amperage control, a foot pedal, a thumbswitch, etc.?

Rich

Unread 03-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #149
Griff97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Messing with Tig welding aluminum

I hadn't messed with a stick welder for a long time before I did this. I recently picked up a Dialarc 250 for TIG but it will also stick weld. I haven't stick welded at all in about 3 years. Before that, I mainly MIG welded stuff. I only used the stick for heavy plate and structural tubing. I didn't do to bad but I figure I could always improve some. Any good tips or things you guys can tell I'm doing wrong? I know the first one is slightly undercut. I turned the amperage down slightly after that one.

Griff97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #150
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
That's really not too bad. It'll probably never break, being that it is a light hoop.

Ideally, a little more weld wire fed into the puddle would give you a "meatier"'(thicker) bead.

What are you using for amperage control, a foot pedal, a thumbswitch, etc.?

Rich
it is just a scratch start thermal arc 95s, only control is on the machine. I had it set a little high.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.