Sold my soul to JeepForum
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Marble, NC
found some good info from a race car saftey spec website (sorry for the bad pic)......
Roll Cages for the Unlimited Division must be fully welded. Bolt-in Roll Cages are not allowed.
1. The Roll Cage must be designed and made so that, when correctly installed, it substantially reduces body shell deformation and so reduces the risk of injury to occupants.
2. The essential features of Roll Cages are sound construction (designed to fit the particular vehicle), adequate mountings and a close fit to the body shell.
3. Tubes must not carry fluids.
4. The Roll Cage must not unduly impede the entry or exit of the Driver/Co-Driver.
5. The Roll Cage must be welded to the major structure, or be part of the major structure of the vehicle.
6. A NASCAR style Roll Cage is highly recommended.
7. Door intrusion bars are required on both sides of the vehicle. A minimum of two bars is mandatory and three or more are recommended.
a. The third bar may be a removable bar.
b. It is recommended that the bars be connected in a ladder like fashion.
8. A metal roof is required and should be welded to the cage on all cars without an integral welded-on roof.
a. These requirements are applied to cars with fiberglass or plastic roofs, removable or sliding tops, T-tops and open cars.
b. The metal must cover the driver compartment and passenger compartment unless the vehicle is driven solo.
c. If the floor pan of the vehicle is not metal then a metal floor pan must be added to protect the intrusion/extrusion of the Driver/Co-Driver's feet and leg area.
1) This floor should be attached to the Roll Cage.
9. Material, Fabrication, Bracing and Installation specifications are the same as the specifications for a Roll Bar.
10.Main Hoop and Braces: The main hoop and support braces should be of the same size.
11. Minimum Tubing Sizing: The size of the tubing to be used shall be determined on the basis of the weight and speed potential of the vehicle.
Vehicle Weight Tubing Material Tubing Dimensions
-----Under 2,700 lbs.
Mild Steel 1.50 O.D. X .120 wall
Alloy Steel 1.50 O.D. X .090 wall
-----2,700 to 3,000 lbs.
Mild Steel 1.75 O.D. X .120 wall
Alloy Steel 1.50 O.D. X .120 wall
-----Over 3,000 lbs.
Mild Steel 1.75* O.D. X .120 wall
Alloy Steel 1.75* O.D. X .120 wall
-=*2.0 O.D is highly recommended for vehicles over 3,000 pounds.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.