*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 73 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #1081
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
I can finally contribute to this thread. My cage isn't installed but it's all done but the paint.
This is a side shot with it all tacked in place to locate the sliders before tacking them in place.
Very nice work on the tie ins! I like the slider idea..

cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #1082
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Thanks. Hope I never have to test them. I figure the tube step and plate will be my "crush zone" if I ever was to get T-boned.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #1083
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is exactly what I've been imagining in my head all day. It's perfect. I've looked at hundreds of cages, but this is spot on. It looks amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Finally finished up my cage today. It's taken all winter but I can officially call it done since it's painted and back in the Jeep for the last time (I hope).

All 1.75x.120 DOM except the windshield spreaders which are 1.25 DOM

A-pillar tie-in

C-pillar tie-in

Unread 07-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #1084
dougiee
1999 TJ Wrangler 

image-2882306523.jpg

Here's mine nothing to complex....I just have to install it in the jeep which is gonna be a ***** because I can't get the one out that's in there now lol
Unread 07-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #1085
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiee
Here's mine nothing to complex....I just have to install it in the jeep which is gonna be a ***** because I can't get the one out that's in there now lol
No A pilar of any kind? Just the windshield frame. Beefs up the rest of the cage a bit but doesn't seem to address the main weakness of the stock cage.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #1086
dougiee
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie
No A pilar of any kind? Just the windshield frame. Beefs up the rest of the cage a bit but doesn't seem to address the main weakness of the stock cage.
Lol I no i should have but I didn't want bars along the windshield...and shhhh don't tell anyone but it's mainly for looks haha...and I had to work with what I got a guy did it for me for pretty cheap.
Unread 09-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #1087
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Just finished my first JK cage.

6 point frame tie ins, and seats and harnesses are mounted to cage

"You're what's wrong with America. You don't drink enough PBR and you probably run sway bars on the street. Fawking communist."-ibjeepin95
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #1088
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Very nice work!
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #1089
thirstybob
1986 CJ7 

[QUOTE=SFRautomotive;16317737]Just a simple add-on cage. Using 1.75 dom and the genright dash stanchions (bottom half is not back in yet.)

These handles are made from old stock Jeep tierods. They seem to work nicely.
[/QUOTE

I'm sorry to resurrect a year old thread but this is awesome. It's exactly what I've been looking for. The "tie rod" handles are genius!
thirstybob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #1090
mike_bfdr
1981 CJ8 

heres my cage

Unread 10-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #1091
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have never commented on this thread before, so sorry if i interrupt and ongoing discussion here, I just have a quick question. I wanted the opinions of people with real world experience and you seem like an experienced bunch

Can anyone here attest to the strength of a sleeved and rosette welded butt joint vs the strength of a 90* joint where one piece is coped (ie a 'T' joint)? Talking shear force. It seems to me that the sleeved joint would be just as strong, but it's such an unconventional technique that I'm not familiar with its real world strength attributes. Thanks!
macklamar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #1092
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know how it compares to other joints, but internal sleeved joints that are plug/rosette welded and butt welded are commonly used in all kinds of racing, so I wouldn't worry about the sleeve joint. I've been doing alot of research on cages as I'm about to start my first cage (research including cages from race cars, because there's alot of good information there as well!)

Alot of stuff that I've seen specifies that the sleeve extend at least 2x the tube diameter inside each tube (so if 2" tube, then the sleeve needs to be at least 8" long, 4" on each side?), the sleeve wall thickness the same as the main tube wall thickness, a fit that's not loose, and then 4 rosette welds. Not sure if that means 4 on each side, or 4 total. It seems to be a very common joint, even on a brand new cage, not just a repair job.

How often do yall use sleeve joints on newly constructed cages?
Unread 10-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #1093
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Cool Thanks for the info. That is also something I would like to know: How often do other people use this joint in a newly constructed cage?
macklamar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.