*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 72 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #1066
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Has anyone developed a rollcage design that will still be able to use an aftermarket soft top? Im looking to fit a Rampage Frameless TJ top to my CJ, will just build the cage to mimick the oem roll bar but just was wondering if its been done before?

cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #1067
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjon7 View Post
Has anyone developed a rollcage design that will still be able to use an aftermarket soft top? Im looking to fit a Rampage Frameless TJ top to my CJ, will just build the cage to mimick the oem roll bar but just was wondering if its been done before?
Sure, just follow the lines of the factory and you should be good to go. Go measure a TJ stock bars and make the outside dimensions the same with the same degree of slope on the "C" pillar.

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #1068
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here is one Im working on for a buddy. Still have a few bars to add then she will be done.

Dr.Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #1069
Lifted96ZJ
1973 CJ5 

I really like the way that turned out Dr.Dirty. It will be a great looking cage once it's all welded up!
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #1070
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Finally got started on mine, here is a little teaser pic:

I have some serious questions about seat mounting to the cage though. Any pics and advice on seat mounts would be greatly appreciated.
g-rocc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #1071
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here is the YJ one all finished for now. This summer Ill add A to B pillar bars along with B to C pillar bars. I will also be adding all the seats mounts into the cage as well.

Dr.Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #1072
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rocc View Post
I have some serious questions about seat mounting to the cage though. Any pics and advice on seat mounts would be greatly appreciated.
What seats are you installing? How do they mount? My method was pretty simple. I just ran a 1.75 DOM from B to B & then another right in front of the console ebrake lever behind the cup holders where the trannt tunnel steps down. You can mount tabs off of those tubes. Or in my case, my seats bolted down, instead of through the side, I used a C shaped piece notched over both tubes. You can see them in my pics in post #1062.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #1073
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
What seats are you installing? How do they mount? My method was pretty simple. I just ran a 1.75 DOM from B to B & then another right in front of the console ebrake lever behind the cup holders where the trannt tunnel steps down. You can mount tabs off of those tubes. Or in my case, my seats bolted down, instead of through the side, I used a C shaped piece notched over both tubes. You can see them in my pics in post #1062.
I have the Corbeau Baja XRS seats. They bolt up from the bottom of the seat.

That's a good idea with the c-shape piece. How thick was the steel you used for that? Do you have a pic of that front tube placement in your Jeep?
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #1074
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have the Corbeau Baja XRS seats. They bolt up from the bottom of the seat.

That's a good idea with the c-shape piece. How thick was the steel you used for that? Do you have a pic of that front tube placement in your Jeep?
I used a piece of 2" x 6" 1/8" wall rectangular tube. You can get two out of one section. One warning, it is really difficult to access the rear seat bolts. Its a 2 person job to tighten or loosen them.

Pardon the mess.

Unread 03-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #1075
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

That looks really good. Top of my list right now. Any regrets or changes you would make to that set-up?
Unread 03-25-2014, 05:20 AM   #1076
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That looks really good. Top of my list right now. Any regrets or changes you would make to that set-up?
Maybe cut out the sides a bit at the bolt locations so they are a little easier to access. For my own personal preference, I might try to get them a little lower. Other than that, it was pretty simple to execute.

Unread 06-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #1077
83cjnash
1983 CJ7 

Not dig this back up but what are the reasons for mounting the roll bar to the frame using poly bushings? I've been seeing a lot of people doing that.
Unread 06-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #1078
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83cjnash View Post
Not dig this back up but what are the reasons for mounting the roll bar to the frame using poly bushings? I've been seeing a lot of people doing that.
It gives the frame a little isolation from the cage and helps absorb harmonics and lower resignation on the inside

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #1079
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjon7 View Post

Well here it is, Built to accept a Rampage frameless top for a TJ...Although this is a CJ...with a YJ family bar as a base, YJ Half Doors...and TJ Door Surrounds

We dubbed it a CYTJ during the build.

It was interesting to say the least. Design came out awesome, there are lots of hidden features that the pictures dont do justice, like provisions for an air tank mount behind the rear seat, plenty of OH SH*T handles to go around, gauge pods for some up front monitoring of engine status, flashlight/extinguisher/speaker mounting zones...The list continues.

Cage was designed by the three of us, but built by Dave and Sean of DS Fabworx in Pensacola FL.
cage-finished-1.jpg

cage-finished-2.jpg

cage-finished-3.jpg

cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #1080
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I can finally contribute to this thread. My cage isn't installed but it's all done but the paint.
This is a side shot with it all tacked in place to locate the sliders before tacking them in place.

This is with all the welds done and working on the console.

Here's the sliders, which have the front tie-in, and the rear tie-ins, all welded up ready for paint.

Here's the front tie-in under the A-pillar with a 3/16" plate, (4) 3/8" bolts, and a piece of 3/8" thick rubber for an isolator.

This is the B-pillar tie-in made from 1/4" plate and angle, (3) 3/8" bolts and a 1/2" rubber isolator.

The rear tie-in is a piece of 2" HREW with a 3/16" plate on top and a 1/4" angle at the bottom.

A cover for the top of the console.

And the console underneath, minus the dome lights and CB.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.