*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 70 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Reply
Unread 01-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #1036
Danno6102
Web Wheeler
 
Danno6102's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz
I like the looks of that design. While out in the garage last week, bored with nothing to do, I copied your basic design out of some 5/16" brake line that I had laying around. It was half out of sheer boredom, half learning experience. Seems to be a pretty strong overall design. Keep in mind that the brake line was bent using only my fingers, with a couple of small tack welds at each joint. Not scientific by any means, but a fun little experiment. A little bent, but not broken.
That is pretty sweet! Never thought of mocking one up out brake line.

__________________
IndyORV
My Build

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #1037
zachv
Web Wheeler
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SCHUYLKILL HAVEN, PA
Posts: 1,196
I wonder if it would have held if you had done grab handle gussets and a small corner gusset at the B-pillars.
__________________
Have a great day!!!
Zach Vaughn.
AtoZ Fabrication
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #1038
skizriz
Web Wheeler
 
skizriz's Avatar
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Pa
Posts: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv View Post
I wonder if it would have held if you had done grab handle gussets and a small corner gusset at the B-pillars.
It sure wouldnt have hurt to have some gussets. My thinking after seeing the pictures, is that by raising the center section of the two middle overhead tubes (where it forms a square) higher than the outer tubes, would help carry the force to the corners.
Looking from the side it would be a somewhat triangulated roof.



Something like this. The black part would be slightly higher than the rest. If it tried to compress downward, the forces would go outward on the red tubes. That spreads it out over eight points.
The extra rear tubes I drew in wouldn't be a bad idea to help carry the load if the cage tries to fold rearward (endo, my worst nightmare). They would also make nice mounts for a hi lift jack, cooler rack, etc..



Having the overhead tubes flat and even, seems like it would rely on sheer strength to keep it from coming down on the seats, IF the load was all in the center and not spread out over the uprights.
A load in the center would want to cave in and bring the A pillars back towards the center.
The above picture would try to push the A pillars forward instead. The two flat outer overhead bars would keep it from doing so (unless they would stretch.).


Make sense??? I'm not an engineer by any means. LOL
__________________
78 CJ7 258 TH400/Dana18 SOA/stock YJ springs 35" General Grabbers.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:41 AM   #1039
Danno6102
Web Wheeler
 
Danno6102's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 1,543
My tube is in & I'll be starting the first of two cages beginning of February. Couple questions. This is going into a TJ. I don't really want to mess with the upper windshield brackets on the spreaders, but I think they're a necessity on the TJ as there isn't anything else holding the windshield from flopping forward. Is there anything stopping me from welding my windshield hinges? If anything needs to be done that requires the windshield being laid forward, it'd be almost as fast to just unbolt the "hinges" & remove the windshield completely.
__________________
IndyORV
My Build

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #1040
PDK
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N Alabama
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
My tube is in & I'll be starting the first of two cages beginning of February. Couple questions. This is going into a TJ. I don't really want to mess with the upper windshield brackets on the spreaders, but I think they're a necessity on the TJ as there isn't anything else holding the windshield from flopping forward. Is there anything stopping me from welding my windshield hinges? If anything needs to be done that requires the windshield being laid forward, it'd be almost as fast to just unbolt the "hinges" & remove the windshield completely.
I wouldn't recommend welding the windshield frame. Many folks, including myself are creating a windshield "quick release" so you can just pull the window off when wheeling. It's really as simple as taking out the stock pin (which isn't actually all that easy) and then getting an indent pin to replace it. Total cost is around $10. I also got new grade 8 bolts that hold the windshield from folding down.
I guess it also depends on what the Jeep is used for primarily. There are two sides to this and a lot of people prefer to have the windshield attached at the top...and many don't care-like me...it's up to you.
PDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #1041
Danno6102
Web Wheeler
 
Danno6102's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDK View Post
I wouldn't recommend welding the windshield frame. Many folks, including myself are creating a windshield "quick release" so you can just pull the window off when wheeling. It's really as simple as taking out the stock pin (which isn't actually all that easy) and then getting an indent pin to replace it. Total cost is around $10. I also got new grade 8 bolts that hold the windshield from folding down.
I guess it also depends on what the Jeep is used for primarily. There are two sides to this and a lot of people prefer to have the windshield attached at the top...and many don't care-like me...it's up to you.
I wouldn't be welding the actual windshield frame, just the hinge, so it no longer hinges. Would probably cut the hinge pin part off completely & fill the gap between upper & lower plates with weld & grind it smooth so it looks nice & clean. If I F them up, I guess I could always buy new ones. Maybe some nice chrome ones. I just want to make sure there isn't a reason it NEEDS to hinge before I weld the hinges up. Mine is more or less a trail rig & weekend cruiser. Only time I'd be taking the WS off is hardcore wheeling trips. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year, & an impact would make quick work of that.
__________________
IndyORV
My Build

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #1042
kellerumps
See Ya Coach.
 
kellerumps's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Paris, IL
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDK View Post
I also got new grade 8 bolts that hold the windshield from folding down.
What size are the bolts? That way I can get rid of the Stock Star POS bolts.
__________________
I don't look for problems....They find me.

Member of: IndyOrv
kellerumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #1043
g-rocc
Member
 
g-rocc's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 253
That is a good question and something I haven't taken much thought to. Any have pics of how the are attaching the windshield to the cage?
g-rocc is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #1044
PDK
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N Alabama
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerumps
What size are the bolts? That way I can get rid of the Stock Star POS bolts.
Can't remember off the top of my head. Just take one with you to the bolt store
PDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #1045
Renegade82
Web Wheeler
 
Renegade82's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lewistown, PA
Posts: 3,189
Just throwing in my two cents, but I wouldn't even consider tying anything to the windshield frame. If they're anything like a Jeep's ws. it's just a rectangular tube of sheetmetal wrapped around glass. It lends very little in the way of structural support and should be irrelevant when it comes to a roll cages design. When the factory designed those spreader bars to bolt to the windshield it was just for looks, just as the sport bar is. Plus, if it's not tied back it's easily folded down.
__________________
The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (still in progress....)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/30...e-off-1280850/
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #1046
Danno6102
Web Wheeler
 
Danno6102's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Just throwing in my two cents, but I wouldn't even consider tying anything to the windshield frame. If they're anything like a Jeep's ws. it's just a rectangular tube of sheetmetal wrapped around glass. It lends very little in the way of structural support and should be irrelevant when it comes to a roll cages design. When the factory designed those spreader bars to bolt to the windshield it was just for looks, just as the sport bar is. Plus, if it's not tied back it's easily folded down.
You guys aren't picking up what I'm laying down. I'm not welding on, or to, the windshield frame, or relying on the windshield frame at all for any part of the roll cage design. A pillars will go through the dash & to the floor. I was asking about welding the HINGE. This thing...


I'm just going to go the super simple route right now & lash it to the upper windshield bar & doing the quick disco PDK talked about.
__________________
IndyORV
My Build

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #1047
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
You guys aren't picking up what I'm laying down. I'm not welding on, or to, the windshield frame, or relying on the windshield frame at all for any part of the roll cage design. A pillars will go through the dash & to the floor. I was asking about welding the HINGE. This thing...


I'm just going to go the super simple route right now & lash it to the upper windshield bar & doing the quick disco PDK talked about.
I've seen many people post on JF about not having their windshield connected after installing a new cage and they all said it was just fine. I've yet to see anyone say otherwise.

YMMV of course.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #1048
EdJonesJeeper
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arden, NC
Posts: 141
Anyone have pictures of how you tied in the c pillar?
EdJonesJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #1049
EdJonesJeeper
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arden, NC
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Finally got my cage all finished up and just got back from a weekend of wheeling.
Those frame tie ins are beefy and sexy. Nice work. Makes me wanna watch a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie
Where did you find the c pillar bracket? Or was that custom fab?
EdJonesJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #1050
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey
 
'92 vegas YJ's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 2,355
I custom made everything. They are Ruffstuff bushings. Everything else was me.
__________________
~'92 YJ with many upgrades and many more calling my name..... it never ends
~'07.5 Dodge Ram Megacab 2500, 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.