*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-31-2005, 10:28 AM   #91
sjlplat

Some of the stuff repaired:

Before

After

--

Before

After

--

No before pics for these, but these are the repaired welds

sjlplat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2005, 10:01 AM   #92
JeepCreepn01

ok looking aorund this thread has helped me out a ton, i'm getting ready to start putting some stuff together to build a cage this winter, i'm trying to figure out how to mount seats to incorp 5point harnesses, i'm going with prp racing seats, should these be put in as part of the cage, like suspended with parellel bars? or should i go with a mounting brakect like factory seats? i havent found many pics so im kinda lost, any help would be wonderful
Alex
JeepCreepn01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #93
dirtgrip
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Some have done this.
Unread 09-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #94
JeepCreepn01

thanks thats kind what i was thinking to do, but no back seat for me
JeepCreepn01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2005, 03:43 PM   #95
got4-Lo

hey funk. u were talking about pipe cages. i saw this at tellico. the whole thing was PIPE

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2005, 01:22 AM   #96
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkSkunk
and the carnage........... Tierra Del Sol Safari --> http://www.pirate4x4.com/trailreport...p05/index.html
I was camping with this guy. Honestly, it wasnt his fault. he bought the CJ as is and the guy he bought it from was the one who put this cage in. He was night wheeling in the notches and went *** end over the nose. the cut you see is from when the tin benders started cutting a badly bent cross piece out so he could wheel it the rest of the weekend
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2005, 09:29 AM   #97
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

glad to see this thread come back!

I'm planning on actually finishing my cage in the next month or so, and of course there'll be pics! definately gonna triangulate everything but I have two delemias:
my Rock Gear soft top (the way it tightens the front it wraps around the Bpillar, not sure if i could just go with out that or not?)

And the other is if I should ditch the backseat for good or not??? I could then x-brace the B pillar without a 2nd thought, put a fuel cell back there or the 5th wheel? I'm not sure, what do you guys think?
Unread 09-26-2005, 11:17 AM   #98
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Of course... I say ditch the back seat. However, I don't have anyone to ride in the back of mine so it doesn't matter. I guess if you don't have any kids, you can remove the back seat... just keep moving in the "trail use only" direction

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2005, 09:26 PM   #99
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be doing my cage soon as well. Just wiating for my custom fuel cell to be finished. Should be another week or two i think. I've got lots of ideas already, but will probably borrow a few from this thread as well. And i will post pics when its done.

I have a good theoretical to get the thread going again though. Which is better:
A front hoop, like the stock one that goes from side to side at the windshield
Or
Front spreaders that go from the B pillar to the windshield and down through the floor that way?
and why is it better?

My plan is to build off the stock B pillar and rear section. I have already kind of started with a few pieces I added here and there.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
Unread 09-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #100
Brandon11130

anyone got any simple looking yet functional cages, i dont like the real cluttered look like most of the ones shown, i know cages are built for strength but doeas anyone have any "clean" cages the offer maximum protection.

for CJ's that is.

[SIZE="1"] We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be saught by us. With every breath we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood ‘til it rains down from the skies.[/SIZE]
Brandon11130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2005, 07:29 PM   #101
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

i think that my cage is fairly simple. I understand the open back is more than most people are wanting on there rigs, but the over all design is pretty simple.

tube yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2005, 12:29 PM   #102
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure which would be stronger? I know a lot of educated tube masters think the halo design like Tube's is the strongest.

anybody else have thoughts?????
Unread 09-29-2005, 02:01 PM   #103
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I saw pics once of a currie TJ with a Halo cage that had rolled. lets just say it wasn't pretty. the cage bgasically collapsed on itself. and the Currie rig had more bracing and triangulation than the halo design pictured above.
Unread 09-29-2005, 02:10 PM   #104
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

you should check into the currie design a little more. My cage is made of 2 inch dom which is larger than the currie rig. Triangulation is a easy term thrown around by alot of arm chair fabricators on message boards. My cage has nearly ten roll overs on it, and it has not shifted at all.

fwiw you can find pictures similar to the currie cage failure with every other type of cage design. i will try to dig up the thread on pirate with tons of cage failure pics
Unread 09-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #105
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...t=failed+cages

this is the thread i was thinking of. there are pics of several different styles of cages with different types of failures.

the main concern when building halo style cages is supporting the junctions of the halo and its support legs. You can see on my cage, two over sized grab handles that support the halo at the "A" pillar and two support peices where the halo attaches to the "b" pillar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.