*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 68 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 12-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #1006
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Worked with a friend of mine to model this up. The dimensions are close but nothing to cut by.

Things to still be done that I don't know that I'm going to change on the model or not:
Shoulder harness bar
Straighten the A-Pillar (but that will for sure happen because not having to bend that is going to be awesome)
Move the 'ladder' step on the b-pillar up to meet the bend on the bend and also match up to the shoulder bar
Dash spreaders
Seat mounts

g-rocc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #1007
reddirtTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've been toying with the idea of putting a diagonal from the B pillar to the top of the C pillar like you drew, minus the box. I was wondering if this would help protect my 2 year old better. I have the rest of the cage cut and ready to be welded in, but I haven't decided what to do. I'd rather protect him then myself if something happened If some one could tell me why not to do this I'd put it in the traditional way.
I'm using the stock cage and adding to it.

Like this

image-4214542298.jpg

"TJ's and CJ's are Jeeps. BJ's are something else entirely. I can only help you with the first two." Sundowner
reddirtTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #1008
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirtTJ
I've been toying with the idea of putting a diagonal from the B pillar to the top of the C pillar like you drew, minus the box. I was wondering if this would help protect my 2 year old better. I have the rest of the cage cut and ready to be welded in, but I haven't decided what to do. I'd rather protect him then myself if something happened If some one could tell me why not to do this I'd put it in the traditional way. I'm using the stock cage and adding to it. Like this
I was asking my engineer about this as well and said that this is going to provide more rigidity for the rear portion if the cage especially in a backward roll. Your design with a straight line is stronger than mine but mine will allow more room for people and that horizontal bar acts as a ladder step.
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #1009
PDK
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfman1967 View Post
Did you ever get a chance to get the TJ pick points for the roll cage? I just got my Bendtech6 software upgrade and would like to start laying out some cage plans. I am doing a LJ tub but the hardtop is in deep storage at a buddys storage barn so it is going to be a while before I can get dimensions with the top on the tub.

OK, I finally got back into BendTech after not messing with it for a couple of years. I can email the file with my complete cage (thank me!) to you or I will provide the pick points I used here below. My center point is directly between the B-pillar floor points--everything is based around that.

A-pillar right: X37.5, Y-25, Z0
A-pillar left/drivers: X37.5, Y25, Z0
B-pillar right: X0, Y-25.188, Z0
B-pillar drivers: X0, Y25.188, Z0
C-pillar is where factory TJ is...I would move it back 3-4" if I did it over
C-pillar right: X-37.5, Y-24.125, Z17.9
C-pillar left: X-37.5, Y24.125, Z17.9

All of these points are the center of the floor plates.

For added value, my b-pillar and a-pillar function as the factory one does allowing window surrounds, full doors, seatbelts, etc
I will also say that it took me literally months of tedious measuring and remeasuring to get all of this data in bendtech.
PDK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #1010
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDK
OK, I finally got back into BendTech after not messing with it for a couple of years. I can email the file with my complete cage (thank me!) to you or I will provide the pick points I used here below. My center point is directly between the B-pillar floor points--everything is based around that. A-pillar right: X37.5, Y-25, Z0 A-pillar left/drivers: X37.5, Y25, Z0 B-pillar right: X0, Y-25.188, Z0 B-pillar drivers: X0, Y25.188, Z0 C-pillar is where factory TJ is...I would move it back 3-4" if I did it over C-pillar right: X-37.5, Y-24.125, Z17.9 C-pillar left: X-37.5, Y24.125, Z17.9 All of these points are the center of the floor plates. For added value, my b-pillar and a-pillar function as the factory one does allowing window surrounds, full doors, seatbelts, etc I will also say that it took me literally months of tedious measuring and remeasuring to get all of this data in bendtech.
Awesome work. Pm sent with email address.
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #1011
yldwahp

A few photos from my cage build over on EXPO Pages 9-16:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...J-Build-Thread

All 1.75" x .120 Wall DOM

Unread 12-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #1012
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Question on average how much steel are all of y'all using for your cages? I'm starting to figure prices of everything now.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #1013
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yldwahp View Post
A few photos from my cage build over on EXPO Pages 9-16:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...J-Build-Thread

All 1.75" x .120 Wall DOM

That is beautiful! I really really like the gusseting and the way it is done. Lots of attention to detail.

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #1014
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Question on average how much steel are all of y'all using for your cages? I'm starting to figure prices of everything now.
Trent,

I did 2" for main A,B and C pillars and their cross members and 1.5" for everything else (and a bit of 1x2 rect tube for the seat mounting)

2) 20' 2x.120" DOM
4) 20' 1.5"x.120" ERW

I am not positive (age related memory loss) but the DOM may have been 18' long sticks

Unread 12-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #1015
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS
Trent, I did 2" for main A,B and C pillars and their cross members and 1.5" for everything else (and a bit of 1x2 rect tube for the seat mounting) 2) 20' 2x.120" DOM 4) 20' 1.5"x.120" ERW I am not positive (age related memory loss) but the DOM may have been 18' long sticks
Thanks Tom that's what I was thinkin right around 40'
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #1016
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Trent, be aware I think he was saying 2x20' sticks of 2" and 4x20' sticks of 1.5", though 120' seems a bit much?
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #1017
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjon7
Trent, be aware I think he was saying 2x20' sticks of 2" and 4x20' sticks of 1.5", though 120' seems a bit much?
Correct, I made fenders, sliders and mistakes too With the 4 sticks of 1.5". The cage has lots of triangulation and is tied to frame. It is in this thread way back in January I think

EDIT: I just went back over the thread and in #914, I said it took 6 pcs of 1.5" tube. Good thing I write this stuff down. LOL

So, way more 1.5" than I thought. The cage I built back then was my first cage and first time using a bender. Lots of wasted material. One mess up became my front stinger, so I was able to "adjust" some of the mistakes.

Beat it to fit and paint it to match!

Unread 12-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #1018
yldwahp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
That is beautiful! I really really like the gusseting and the way it is done. Lots of attention to detail.

WSS
Thanks! Looking back, there are a few things I would've changed, but it seems it's all to combat a worst case roll over at high speeds. Door bars I really wanted, but climbing into a 2" lifted jeep with daily driver suspension seats is annoying enough as is.
Unread 12-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #1019
yldwahp

I ordered 88' of 1.75x.120 wall, not including the front Synergy Suspension cage. I don't think I have over 4-5' left. The calculator I build said the design required 80'. My buddy told me at the start of my cage 100-120' feet was his average for a full blown triangulated cage. If you include my Front Synergy Cage, I was right in that ball park. Door bars would've added 10' to my total.

Shoot me a PM, I have a calculator for all of my estimates for tubing orders and organizing the cage build. I have attached images of my "Assembly Connections Sheet" that fed a summary sheet.

Unread 12-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #1020
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yldwahp View Post
Thanks! Looking back, there are a few things I would've changed, but it seems it's all to combat a worst case roll over at high speeds. Door bars I really wanted, but climbing into a 2" lifted jeep with daily driver suspension seats is annoying enough as is.
I hear you on the door bars. In the back of my mind, I have a small plan/idea to do a tube door/bar get-up that will tie/hinge to the A pillar and bolt/latch/lock on the B. I may never get to it, but I did start it using 1"x.120 structured up pretty nice. Just sitting on the shelf rusting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.