*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 66 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #976
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, no CAD here. Just a tape measure and one good eye. I can get more pics if you want.

jasonswelding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #977
JayTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonswelding View Post
Sorry, no CAD here. Just a tape measure and one good eye. I can get more pics if you want.
Id appreciate that if its not too much of an in convince for you. You can pm me them or post them.
JayTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #978
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No prob. Probably be a few days
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #979
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 11-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #980
JayTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonswelding View Post
Thank you very much. You just added on from the original frame. Correct?
JayTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #981
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, added to factory roll bar.
Unread 11-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #982
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

does any body know the purpose of having the seat brackets welded to the cage?
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #983
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jeepman
does any body know the purpose of having the seat brackets welded to the cage?
It's simply for safety. Would you rather have the seat you're strapped into be part of the roll cage surrounding and protecting you or be part of the sheet metal body? If the roll or accident is bad enough and the body mounts fail, the tub and cage are going to move different directions. It's much safer to mount your seats and harnesses to the roll cage so that you stay with the cage that's protecting you.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #984
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
It's simply for safety. Would you rather have the seat you're strapped into be part of the roll cage surrounding and protecting you or be part of the sheet metal body? If the roll or accident is bad enough and the body mounts fail, the tub and cage are going to move different directions. It's much safer to mount your seats and harnesses to the roll cage so that you stay with the cage that's protecting you.
that makes sense but if you do your cage properly and frame tie it then how would the body move. not trying to heat anything up just curious
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
Unread 11-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #985
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jeepman
that makes sense but if you do your cage properly and frame tie it then how would the body move. not trying to heat anything up just curious
IMO it's even more important to mount your seats to the roll cage if you build a "real" cage that is properly tied into the frame, creating a fully enclosed, rigid structure. It's not difficult to imagine sheet metal deforming or tearing in a wreck. Body mounts can fail, seat mounts bolted to the sheet metal body can fail, and if that were to happen you are no longer moving with the roll cage and frame of the Jeep.

Obviously, this is not as critical when talking about a basic sport cage that is not tied to the frame because it is unknown if the cage will even survive in a wreck that has enough force to separate the tub from the frame. At that point, you are on your own and exposed whether you are with the cage or with the body. This is evident because Jeep mounts the seats to the body, the upper belt to the roll cage and lap belt to the body. However, if you take the time to build a true roll cage, with triangulation and frame tie-ins, that is constructed and welded with proper technique, we can assume that it may withstand a wreck that might separate the tub from the frame. In that scenario, the safest option is to have your seats and harnesses mounted to the cage tied to the frame so you stay with the structure providing the most protection. None of us ever want to experience an accident with that much force because chances of survival are slim, but if you are going through the trouble to build the strongest and safest roll cage you can, it seems like a no brainer to mount the seats and 5 point harnesses to the roll cage just in case.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 11-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #986
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
IMO it's even more important to mount your seats to the roll cage if you build a "real" cage that is properly tied into the frame, creating a fully enclosed, rigid structure. It's not difficult to imagine sheet metal deforming or tearing in a wreck. Body mounts can fail, seat mounts bolted to the sheet metal body can fail, and if that were to happen you are no longer moving with the roll cage and frame of the Jeep.

Obviously, this is not as critical when talking about a basic sport cage that is not tied to the frame because it is unknown if the cage will even survive in a wreck that has enough force to separate the tub from the frame. At that point, you are on your own and exposed whether you are with the cage or with the body. This is evident because Jeep mounts the seats to the body, the upper belt to the roll cage and lap belt to the body. However, if you take the time to build a true roll cage, with triangulation and frame tie-ins, that is constructed and welded with proper technique, we can assume that it may withstand a wreck that might separate the tub from the frame. In that scenario, the safest option is to have your seats and harnesses mounted to the cage tied to the frame so you stay with the structure providing the most protection. None of us ever want to experience an accident with that much force because chances of survival are slim, but if you are going through the trouble to build the strongest and safest roll cage you can, it seems like a no brainer to mount the seats and 5 point harnesses to the roll cage just in case.
that makes alot of sense thanks for the info
KHAKI MEMBER #59

Unread 11-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #987
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

ill have alot more questions once time comes im just getting some information and trying to get my motor swap and axles all done before i start my cage.
KHAKI MEMBER #59

Unread 11-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #988
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just look at Nascar, NHRA, Indy/F1. All are designed so that the drivers seat stays with the cage surrounding the driver, even as all the sheet metal and rest of the car disintegrates around them in very violent accidents.

This doesn't directly apply to what most of us do with our Jeeps and the crashes or rolls we expect them to survive, but mounting the seats and harnesses to the cage is the safest possible method of keeping you safe if SHTF.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 11-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #989
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

how would something like this do in a side flop? im wanting to try and keep my rear seats. but want it to be a good cage
gen-right-roll-cage-kit-97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj-750x835.jpg  
KHAKI MEMBER #59

Unread 11-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #990
MyFreeYJ

Hi guys! I never really considered adding a roll cage (or at least not this early) but I stumbled across this craigslist ad where someone is selling one for around $300. It needs some refurbishing, but I think I would be pretty awesome for whatever direction I take my jeep. The ad states it is made of 1 and 3/4 in. steel tubing.

I like the idea of it cosmetically, as well as if I decide I want to do more extreme offroading. I have been doing some reading but I still don't know enough to determine if this is a good deal, or if there is anything I need to be concerned about.

What are your thoughts?
00o0o_67yqehw15te_600x450.jpg

00g0g_ga3qhyjemau_600x450.jpg

00h0h_gk14yhcbuqm_600x450.jpg

01010_aowcgvk0yws_600x450.jpg

MyFreeYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.