*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 64 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 08-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #946
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD View Post
This is what it should look like when it is all done.

Here is mine for our CJ5, kinda like yours:

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #947
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
I really want to start on my cage build, but my lack of metal working experience has me leaning towards the Poison Spyder trail cage kit. Are there any other kits out there already cut and notched? I assume I will go with a "ready to weld in" kit.
Take a look at the KOZ Off Road cages. You can get their full cage kit for just $250 more than the Poison Spyder trail cage kit (a lot bigger bang for your buck). Or if you want to compare apple to apples, the KOZ trail cage kit is still a little cheaper than the PSC kit.

Also, there is the GenRight full kit or fastback kit and AtoZ front sport cage kit (AtoZ has a rear addition listed for 92-06 wranglers only. You might could check with them to see about options for your year model). The GenRight stuff just isn't as easy on the wallet.

I went with the PSC trail cage kit and heavy duty header bar kit for my TJ and if I were able to go back and do it over again, I would probably go with the KOZ kit (for more than one reason). The reason I didn't go with it in the first place was because I wasn't too keen on cutting the dash for the A pillar to go through. You live and you learn, right?

KOZ, GenRight, and AtoZ probably aren't your only options but they were a few that came to mind from when I was looking at cage kits. Whatever you do, if the YJs are like TJs, make sure you replace the header bars with something stronger!

Hope this helps!
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #948
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a cage I recently finished. I sold the last cage I built (also in this thread) and started on this one to better fit my needs. I'm working on building a modified class jeep to race RcRocs/Ultra4/ect so I wanted to make a few revisions from my previous design and add some features that should make this cage stronger, safer and more roomier inside than my last one. This is the third cage I've done and it's amazing how much quicker it came together. My first cage took nearly 3 months to complete as it was my first time bending tube and building a cage, this one would have taken under 2 weeks if I didn't have to wait on seats/harnesses.

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #949
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop02x View Post
Take a look at the KOZ Off Road cages. You can get their full cage kit for just $250 more than the Poison Spyder trail cage kit (a lot bigger bang for your buck). Or if you want to compare apple to apples, the KOZ trail cage kit is still a little cheaper than the PSC kit.

Also, there is the GenRight full kit or fastback kit and AtoZ front sport cage kit (AtoZ has a rear addition listed for 92-06 wranglers only. You might could check with them to see about options for your year model). The GenRight stuff just isn't as easy on the wallet.

I went with the PSC trail cage kit and heavy duty header bar kit for my TJ and if I were able to go back and do it over again, I would probably go with the KOZ kit (for more than one reason). The reason I didn't go with it in the first place was because I wasn't too keen on cutting the dash for the A pillar to go through. You live and you learn, right?

KOZ, GenRight, and AtoZ probably aren't your only options but they were a few that came to mind from when I was looking at cage kits. Whatever you do, if the YJs are like TJs, make sure you replace the header bars with something stronger!

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the help! I recently came across the KOZ kit and I have to say I like it. I guess it's time to start saving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #950
Lifted96ZJ
1973 CJ5 

Here's the start to the back half of my cage

Not really meant for rear passengers other than my kid. I'd like to add some gussets and a bar across the back where it mounts to the tub for stabilization
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #951
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Here is a cage I recently finished. I sold the last cage I built (also in this thread) and started on this one to better fit my needs. I'm working on building a modified class jeep to race RcRocs/Ultra4/ect so I wanted to make a few revisions from my previous design and add some features that should make this cage stronger, safer and more roomier inside than my last one. This is the third cage I've done and it's amazing how much quicker it came together. My first cage took nearly 3 months to complete as it was my first time bending tube and building a cage, this one would have taken under 2 weeks if I didn't have to wait on seats/harnesses.

Hey Mike, I don't know if you remember me or not from your trip out to CO but I had that white LJ on Patriot with you. Here is my question to you: was there any specific reason for flipping the 'V' in the dash on this cage from your last?
g-rocc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #952
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rocc View Post
Hey Mike, I don't know if you remember me or not from your trip out to CO but I had that white LJ on Patriot with you. Here is my question to you: was there any specific reason for flipping the 'V' in the dash on this cage from your last?
Yes, I didn't forget you guys! I had a blast that day

The main reason for flipping the "V" in the windshield bars was for strength. When building a cage you want to try and avoid dead tubes (tubes that tie into the middle of a tube without anything behind it for support) as best you can and tie into nodes where multiple tubes come together. Reasoning is that the force during a roll will spread through more of the roll cage rather than loading into an unsupported structure.

Now, you can't completely eliminate the dead tubes in the windshield bars easily but you can see that with the tubes orientated like this "^", the center overhead support meets the two windshield bars and then they spread the force down and outwards towards the a-pillars. If they were flipped around like a "V" it would put all the force into the unsupported center of the dash bar. It also doesn't allow you to run a center overhead bar if you want them to tie into the windshield bars.

My first cage was built to retain the rear view mirror on the windshield so that is really the only reason I did it the other way. This cage was built entirely with strength and safety in mind, since I did away with the windshield, I went with what I believe is the strongest orientation of the windshield spreaders from my research of most Ultra4 and offroad racing cages.

However, both a "v" or a "^" is stronger than a single straight windshield spreader because it adds triangulation to the windshield area which will help prevent deformation if the cage takes a hit on the side.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #953
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:

The main reason for flipping the "V" in the windshield bars was for strength. When building a cage you want to try and avoid dead tubes (tubes that tie into the middle of a tube without anything behind it for support) as best you can and tie into nodes where multiple tubes come together. Reasoning is that the force during a roll will spread through more of the roll cage rather than loading into an unsupported structure.

Now, you can't completely eliminate the dead tubes in the windshield bars easily but you can see that with the tubes orientated like this "^", the center overhead support meets the two windshield bars and then they spread the force down and outwards towards the a-pillars. If they were flipped around like a "V" it would put all the force into the unsupported center of the dash bar. It also doesn't allow you to run a center overhead bar if you want them to tie into the windshield bars.

My first cage was built to retain the rear view mirror on the windshield so that is really the only reason I did it the other way. This cage was built entirely with strength and safety in mind, since I did away with the windshield, I went with what I believe is the strongest orientation of the windshield spreaders from my research of most Ultra4 and offroad racing cages.

However, both a "v" or a "^" is stronger than a single straight windshield spreader because it adds triangulation to the windshield area which will help prevent deformation if the cage takes a hit on the side.
Well said! Thanks for the detailed explanation.

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #954
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My start. This is to be more of a sport cage than a roll cage, if that makes sense.
jasonswelding is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #955
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks Mike. That all makes sense and was kind of what I was expecting to hear. The reason I was asking is because I wanted to carry the 'v' up into two front vertical spreaders so that there wasn't a dead end tube. I didn't really want to run a single front spreader in the center of the front section. I'm going to draw up a couple more concepts and see what I can put together.
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #956
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have any pictures anywhere of how the cage ties into the frame? All I've ever seen has been to the tub but never from the tub to the frame. Thanks guys.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #957
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Just a simple add-on cage. Using 1.75 dom and the genright dash stanchions (bottom half is not back in yet.)

These handles are made from old stock Jeep tierods. They seem to work nicely.
"You're what's wrong with America. You don't drink enough PBR and you probably run sway bars on the street. Fawking communist."-ibjeepin95
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #958
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Does anyone have any pictures anywhere of how the cage ties into the frame? All I've ever seen has been to the tub but never from the tub to the frame. Thanks guys.
Here is how mine are tied in.

A-pillar

C-pillar

C-pillar changed a little with frame modifications but basically the same. I ditched the bushings and hard mounted my cage since it's a trail/race rig now.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #959
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500

Here is how mine are tied in.

A-pillar

C-pillar

C-pillar changed a little with frame modifications but basically the same. I ditched the bushings and hard mounted my cage since it's a trail/race rig now.
Thank you
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #960
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Did a few sketches of some ideas and would like to hear some input from you guys. Things to note is that I need to have a back seat so my boy can go out with us and this is only the top of the cage design that I am trying to decide on. Safety is the number one reason for building the cage. I'm not as concerned about the aesthetics of it but I don't want some heap of a cage either.

This is the first concept I had before Mike went off and started making sense and being practical.

With the ^ in the dash:
This one is based a lot off of yours Mike because it looks great.

^ in the dash but much simpler design:

Feel free to be brutal and give me your comments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.