*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 60 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #886
zachv
Web Wheeler

Synergy Tube Clamps. We usually buy six of these at a time to have for various things. I am not a proponent of the "bolt together" cages, but we like the tube clamps for such things as removable harness bars, etc.

570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #887
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I've never been a fan of bolt in bars. They remind me of the sport bars with 15 lights that guys would bolt into the back of pickups in the early 90s...

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #888
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Pulled out the cage today and am prepped to weld it solid. A big thanks to the guys and the input in this thread! I have spent many hours reading through this thread and the links.

THX!

WSS
dscn7374.jpg   dscn7375.jpg   dscn7369.jpg   dscn7368.jpg   dscn7363.jpg  

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #889
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good!
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #890
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #891
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great!

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #892
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Thanks guys! I managed to get it welded, wow was that a chore. Much more welding than I thought, nearly a full K size bottle of gas and about 15lbs of wire. Most of the welds were good, some had a bigger gap than I was happy with but the welded joint is strong just not pretty.

WSS
dscn7384.jpg   dscn7382.jpg   dscn7393.jpg  
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #893
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

How are you guys drawing up your designs? Or are you? I'm looking for something I can do in my cad class that I can do when I'm not doing anything which is pretty much everyday. So i wanna get my cj cage drawn.
And wss your cage looks awesome. Wanna send it up my way?

sent from the bottom of an empty money pit
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #894
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Its all in my head.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #895
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Ya, it's a voice in my head. I did do a "overall dimension" dxf of the Jeep tub and soft top. That was just to reference when I was bending/building. To be honest I have quite a few mistakes and just modified and headed that direction (beat it to fit, paint it to match) and ended up with a functional cage (I hope LOL). It was a bunch of give and take, as you know a 5 is already on the short side. I tried two different front seat shoulder harness mounts, in the end I had to give up room instead of doing it wrong. I did gain room up front by the legs by putting the A pillar under the dash about 4" and running the B to A tie flush on the tub floor. The old cage, you could hardly get your feet past it. If you want to see a specific area, let me know. WARNING: This is my first cage and first time using a bender and first Jeep (Scout convert). All I have learned has been here in this thread and on a few tech pages around the net. So.......What was that road paved with?

Let me do two or three rolls with it to make sure it will hold up for you before I send it to you!

WSS
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:46 AM   #896
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

When I first started building cages, I took a piece of tube and put marks on it every half inch. I then bent it 90 degrees. I was able to document what my bend distance was and where to mark all of my tubes. Sacrificing one short section of tube saved me a bunch of money later in wasted tubing.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #897
PDK
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
How are you guys drawing up your designs? Or are you? I'm looking for something I can do in my cad class that I can do when I'm not doing anything which is pretty much everyday. So i wanna get my cj cage drawn.
And wss your cage looks awesome. Wanna send it up my way?

sent from the bottom of an empty money pit
Buy the Bend Tech software...will be worth every penny!! It spits out bending info, notching info with cutouts. You can see it in 3D and make unlimited modifications. If you save a couple of tubes worth of mistakes with the software, it pays for itself, plus you have it for future projects.
PDK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #898
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDK View Post
Buy the Bend Tech software...will be worth every penny!! It spits out bending info, notching info with cutouts. You can see it in 3D and make unlimited modifications. If you save a couple of tubes worth of mistakes with the software, it pays for itself, plus you have it for future projects.
X a million! Bend tech will save you a ton of money in the long run. With the way steel prices keep climbing, a couple of bad cuts and you have payed for the software.
image.jpg  
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #899
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedlou View Post
With the way steel prices keep climbing, a couple of bad cuts and you have payed for the software.
This is very true! I felt like Bend-tech had paid for itself after just one cage. Never had to scrap a length of tube because it was bent wrong or cut short. Definitely a good purchase.

This and grinding dust was all that went to waste

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #900
semperfi1919
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
This is very true! I felt like Bend-tech had paid for itself after just one cage. Never had to scrap a length of tube because it was bent wrong or cut short. Definitely a good purchase.

This and grinding dust was all that went to waste

SWEET, Man that is just what I want in my CJ, That cage is AWESOME...
semperfi1919 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.