*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 58 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 11-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #856
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
Here's a version with a full X in the B-pillar, I think this might be sufficient?

I wonder, for a vehicle that is not going to see hard core trails, would this cage minus the X on the b-pillar be sufficient? Seems like for a flop or a mild roll over it would be plenty sufficient? Being that the vehicle only weighs something like 2400 pounds. I'd like to make it safe & secure, but I don't want to go over kill and end up with a jungle gym that isn't enjoyable/practical to drive around town in.

If you have the space to pull that off I think you will be golden. I was unable to do a X in the back since I didn't have access the a bender. For a flop to mild roll I think this design will be pretty trick. Planning on going a windsheild ^?

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #857
danielbuck
Uncle Buck

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'll just be leaving the factory windshield there, and strapping it down to the cage, with some rubber bump stops or something.
Unread 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #858
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My factory cage with a front add on survived and saved my wife and i during a 60mph rollover, we rolled 3 times and walked away. Rolling a different way may have had a different outcome but you cannot plan for everything.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #859
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982cj8
My factory cage with a front add on survived and saved my wife and i during a 60mph rollover, we rolled 3 times and walked away. Rolling a different way may have had a different outcome but you cannot plan for everything.
Jesus! This spring I'm planning to reweld and gusset / support my already modified cage. Stories like this make me prioritize that.

How did your seat mounts hold up? Any recommendations concerning factory seat mounts and seat belts after the 60mph roll? (Question not directly related to cage pics but relevant to everyone following)
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #860
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982cj8 View Post
Not into the gore factor, but can you post carnage pics so we can see how things held up ? What tore, ripped, bent ...
Unread 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #861
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll just be leaving the factory windshield there, and strapping it down to the cage, with some rubber bump stops or something.
Sorry I meant a windsheild spreader from the lateral bars to prevent any flex in the event of a flop. Hope that makes sense

Molon Labe
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #862
danielbuck
Uncle Buck

2006 TJ Wrangler 

still not sure what you are referring to, sorry! Right now the plan is to have a bar going from the top of the A-pillar to the top of the A-pillar from driver to passenger side, right along the windshield top line.
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #863
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
still not sure what you are referring to, sorry! Right now the plan is to have a bar going from the top of the A-pillar to the top of the A-pillar from driver to passenger side, right along the windshield top line.
He is referring to tubes that run from the bar you are describing (from top of A to top of A) down to the bar across the dash. Usually configured in an upside-down "V" like so "^" for triangulation and to spread the forces through the dash bar. They add a lot of strength to the front of the A-pillar and prevent the windshield area from deforming into a rhombus in a flop or roll.

Here is a picture from Google to help.

I would also suggest adding some triangulation to the overhead spreaders (tubes from the windshield top bar to the B-pillar) that currently run straight front to back in your rendering. That would help prevent the a-pillars from shifting left or right in a roll.

As far as the X in the b-pillar goes, it ads a substantial amount of strength to the cage in a rollover and helps prevent the b-pillar above your head from shifting. You have to decide what is more important to you, ultimate strength and protection or a usable back seat/storage area and compromise one or the other.

Your rendering looks like a good start though
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #864
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
He is referring to tubes that run from the bar you are describing (from top of A to top of A) down to the bar across the dash. Usually configured in an upside-down "V" like so "^" for triangulation and to spread the forces through the dash bar. They add a lot of strength to the front of the A-pillar and prevent the windshield area from deforming into a rhombus in a flop or roll.

Here is a picture from Google to help.

I would also suggest adding some triangulation to the overhead spreaders (tubes from the windshield top bar to the B-pillar) that currently run straight front to back in your rendering. That would help prevent the a-pillars from shifting left or right in a roll.

As far as the X in the b-pillar goes, it ads a substantial amount of strength to the cage in a rollover and helps prevent the b-pillar above your head from shifting. You have to decide what is more important to you, ultimate strength and protection or a usable back seat/storage area and compromise one or the other.

Your rendering looks like a good start though
Pretty much what Mike said thanks for the Google upload

Molon Labe
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #865
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Hossfeld Hydraulic bender!!

Well, I managed to get my hands on my buddy's Hydraulic bender this weekend. It is the coolest tool. I decided rather than jump right in and start messing up 2" DOM, I would tackle a few smaller projects using 1.5" ERW. I started with some rear tube fenders. I will put some diamond plate on them for a dual step/slider, this way the kid can climb in from the back. I made a few "bad bends" but I found other uses for them. When I get around to my front bumper, the stinger is ready LOL. I had a four year old helper this weekend. This is going to be great family project

WSS
photo253.jpg   photo250.jpg   photo256.jpg   photo252.jpg  

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #866
SFRautomotive
#TeamUnibody

1992 XJ Cherokee 

here's mine as of now.

i still need to add a couple pieces to the inside, like harness mounts, seat mounting frame, and another couple pieces in the back .

and on the outside i still need to add a b pillar bar and then another bar to go from the bpiller to the rear pillar right under the back window.

as it sits now the cage is tied into 6 frame rail (adding 2 more), tied into 4 plates on the roof, 4 spots on the floor board (adding 4 more)

SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #867
WSS

1972 CJ5 

I am wondering why some put center bends in their A pillar like shown in the pics? Is it for a gain in triangulation?

THX!
WSS
apillarmidbend1.jpg   apillarmidbend2.jpg  

Unread 12-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #868
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
I am wondering why some put center bends in their A pillar like shown in the pics? Is it for a gain in triangulation?

THX!
WSS
I would think it's for looks. If anything it would hinder the tube's ablility to stay straight. I may be wrong here but a tube with a bend in it is more likely to bend in that area than anywhere else.

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #869
zachv
Web Wheeler

It is for the Angry Brow look. If properly gusseted they do not seem to be a major weak point, but un-gusseted would be a bad idea.
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #870
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Actually I am glad it is for looks. I can skip it. The fewer bends the better for me, means less wasted tube! I will add the inverted "V" though.

Thanks for the help guys!
WSS

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.