*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #811
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Zach here's the A pillar foot I ended up with.
I got 2 through the channel, and 2 just to the inside of it.

Got the tubes all cleaned up and tacked together, but broke my T50 so I can't pull the family bar for the rest of the finish welding & painting.
Another day I guess...

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #812
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
Zach here's the A pillar foot I ended up with.
I got 2 through the channel, and 2 just to the inside of it.

Got the tubes all cleaned up and tacked together, but broke my T50 so I can't pull the family bar for the rest of the finish welding & painting.
Another day I guess...

can i see a pic of how you tied that into the frame?
i will be needing all the help i can get when i build my CJ cage.
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #813
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
can i see a pic of how you tied that into the frame?
i will be needing all the help i can get when i build my CJ cage.
I did not do anything below the jeep yet. I want to focus on the cage for now, I'll come back later and add frame - A pillar and fram - B pillar mounts, and likely eliminate some body mounts in the process.

Now this is all 1-3/4" DOM so far, but would 3/4" pipe triangles help at all? or just add weight? Like 2 pieces coming from the center of the B pillar spreader to the top of the C pillar

Unread 08-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #814
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce

I did not do anything below the jeep yet. I want to focus on the cage for now, I'll come back later and add frame - A pillar and fram - B pillar mounts, and likely eliminate some body mounts in the process.

Now this is all 1-3/4" DOM so far, but would 3/4" pipe triangles help at all? or just add weight? Like 2 pieces coming from the center of the B pillar spreader to the top of the C pillar
IMO more triangulation adds more strength.

And when you have some frame tie ins post pics please.
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #815
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce

I think you're asking about two bars above the rear passenger's head. I suggest it and will be doing the same. Another idea is to add an LED third brake light up there. I'm pleased with mine. (It's described in my build thread.)
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #816
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Damn 3rd brake light would have been cool, but I missed out on a hole where I added the spreader.
Made little grab bars up front, then decided against anything else.
Done. For now. There's a lot more I could add to it to really make it a cage, but for what it is, it's gotta be stronger than stock.
All thats left is just gotta wrestle it back in there.

Unread 08-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #817
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Some diagonal bracing on the main hoop would add some much needed triangulation. With out the bracing, a sideways flop will bend the cage off to the side. In a full roll, the cage will collapse right down on top of the seats.

Is that a TJ main cage? I'm not too fond of the crimped sections and holes.....

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #818
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Is that a TJ main cage? I'm not too fond of the crimped sections and holes.....
Yep.
Unread 08-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #819
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Although not a Jeep, a cage would of meant little to no injuries. I've been through this trail many times and there are places you can roll a long ways.

http://www.yakimacounty.us/sheriff/P.../08_20_12.html

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #820
RogueFab

Yeah a proper cage and harnesses would go a long way there. And remember- if you don't put handles on your cage, your passengers will use the cage as a handle, and in a roll they will break most of the bones in their hands/fingers. Handles are required if the top can come off
[URL="https://www.RogueFab.com"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL]
RogueFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #821
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Agreed. And handles of a smaller diameter tube, set to the inside so it gives you that extra space, should it roll while holding that handle. I will have 2 center bars above the front passengers and I plan on putting smaller angled tubes there to serve as both gussets and handles.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #822
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I instruct my passengers to cross their arms across their chest and grab the opposing shoulder strap (I have 4pt belts in every seat). That helps keep their arms inside the vehicle and also helps keep their body in the seat. I have saw a lot of bruised/broken elbows from arms flailing around, never leaving the cage but hitting stuff inside the Jeep (driver hitting passenger included).

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 09-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #823
papa355
1977 CJ7 

was wondering if some guys could post some pics of the harness bars. I need to install a lower and upper harness bar. would like to see some pics please.

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #824
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel05 View Post
Wow, long thread. I've been thinking about getting a cage lately. After reading this and a few other threads I'm probably going to go with the AtoZ Fabrications kit that adds onto the factory cage. After reading about the benefits of having diagonals in the main hoop (B-pillar), I want to add something like that while still retaining the ability to use the rear seat. I usually have passengers when during trips.

I stole this picture from an earlier post in this thread, the green is what I plan on adding.

I know that it isn't the best design as far as strength is concerned but it still give room for people to get to the back seat, and has to be stronger than not having anything there. The vertical sections will attach to a piece of C-channel that will be placed over the tunnel just behind the console. Any suggestions or alternative ideas are welcome.

Edit: Not that it helps the cage, but it would make a handy spot to mount some cup holders for the rear passengers too.
I'm interested in this as well. I have a 2 year old son that has a car seat in the back that we use frequently. The jeep is a 3rd vehicle and not a DD but I do want it a "friendly" as I it can be with getting in and out of the back while still being safe.

I know it will not be the best cage or even close to buggy worthy. I'm not a pedal to the metal wheeler and will pull a line if I get in a bad situation, that said, I also understand a roll over will happen before you know it and can be bad which is why I need to find a compromise between "best cage possible" and "good DD usability".

Also, I plan on adding small gussets there and there to aid with strength as well as tie down points. I was thinking of putting a couple where the 2 parallel bars running from the windshield to the b pillar hoop in the center. Right in that corner parallel to the ground, so basically right above the center console.

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #825
jason m

I made some parts to make tube splicing easyer. Insteed of just using 1 1/4" .120 wall for inserts, I took some random 1.5" 1/4 wall and truned them down to fit the ID of the 1.5" .120 wall tube.
But I left a .40thou ridge about .80 thou wide, should give a perfect bevel for the the two tubes to be spliced.

Made a hanful of these,

I left them as a ruff cut as they will be burried under tube and weld.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.