*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 54 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #796
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv
Mike, that is fine. It could have been down 2-3" and still been fine, but you are on the right track--you want the shoulder harnesses to pull you back, not pull you down and compress your spine. The lap belts are supposed to hold you down.

BTW, I do not know who the harness straps in the seats are for--we have never used them either.

P.S. Now that you mentioned a 5'2" female we all need to see pictures of said young lady.
Thanks Zach, I did lots of reading and just wanted to double check my work. The harness slot would be nice so I don't have to fab up stops but man their really low.

Thanks again Zach!

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #797
zachv
Web Wheeler

If you make the harness straps tight to the tube, like they should be, then beefy zip ties work well as locators so the harnesses don't move side-to-side.
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #798
PDK
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I bought those same seats when doing my cage and came to the same conclusion as you...they just aren't a good seat! They are entirely too short and your head could end up hitting tubing behind you since you essentially have no headrest. They only have the single slot...not designed to work with most everyone's double strap with the 5 point harness.

By and large, i bought them because they were the cheapest. After building up the cage and trying to make those fit/work...I finally just gave up. Sold 'em on Craigslist for not much less than I paid for them. I then saved up a bit and bought some PRP seats. I even had an extra 2" height added on my side (I'm over 6' 4"). Decided on colors I wanted and everything. So, my suggestion is to do the same/similar because you are not going to be as safe/comfortable in thos short Corb's. My .01 cent
PDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #799
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv
If you make the harness straps tight to the tube, like they should be, then beefy zip ties work well as locators so the harnesses don't move side-to-side.
Good idea thanks, I was planning on cutting some 1 3/4 and welding it lol.

Molon Labe
Unread 06-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #800
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDK
I bought those same seats when doing my cage and came to the same conclusion as you...they just aren't a good seat! They are entirely too short and your head could end up hitting tubing behind you since you essentially have no headrest. They only have the single slot...not designed to work with most everyone's double strap with the 5 point harness.

By and large, i bought them because they were the cheapest. After building up the cage and trying to make those fit/work...I finally just gave up. Sold 'em on Craigslist for not much less than I paid for them. I then saved up a bit and bought some PRP seats. I even had an extra 2" height added on my side (I'm over 6' 4"). Decided on colors I wanted and everything. So, my suggestion is to do the same/similar because you are not going to be as safe/comfortable in thos short Corb's. My .01 cent
Thanks for the input, my head hits the top of the head rest so they should be ok. I would go master craft or PRP if I had to do it over as Corbeau quality control seams to be lead by Stevie Wonder lol

Molon Labe
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #801
rozzo842

XJ cage pics

Last edited by rozzo842; 06-21-2012 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: Added pics
rozzo842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #802
zachv
Web Wheeler

Looks very well thought out and the nodes all look to hit well--nice work. How did you weld the underneath of joints on the top? Lift it up, weld, paint, and then lower it back down to burn it to the main mounts?
570-385-3931--shop
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #803
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Nice job. Might be a bugger to get the rear hatch closed though!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #804
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

What rear hatch....

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #805
rozzo842

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv View Post
Looks very well thought out and the nodes all look to hit well--nice work. How did you weld the underneath of joints on the top? Lift it up, weld, paint, and then lower it back down to burn it to the main mounts?
Yeah,pretty much Zach. The whole thing was removed exept for the B pillar. welded, painted then dropped back on. tacked the B together then lifted each side as much as I could to get better access.
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #806
rozzo842

Out for finish welds

Unread 07-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #807
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up my S&W front half conversion wednesday, getting started here.

I read this whole thread, this was the only bit I found about mounting the A pillar landing pad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTmike View Post
This is my AtoZ cage at the floor. I was able to tie the outter two bolts into my Shrockworks rocksliders and the medial two into the double layered floor.
Attachment 94430
Attachment 94431
I don't really like that, is that how everyone has landed that A pillar?
It leaves almost an inch of dead space between the sandwich plates.
What I'd like to do is cut the inside floor pan of the tub.
Probably cut the tub (on the red rectangle) in a H like shape, so I can fold it down and tack it together to keep it nice and firm there.

That puts the cage down to the lower piece of the tub channel there.

here's a kick *** drawing I did.

Then my lower sandwich plate will just be incorporated into new rock sliders
Any comments on this?

If you landed an A pillar in a TJ and have any other ideas or pics I'm open to thoughts on this one.

Thanks,
Ben
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #808
zachv
Web Wheeler

FWIW, we have been doing it our way for almost ten years and dozens of cages without one failure and many rollovers.
570-385-3931--shop
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #809
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv View Post
FWIW, we have been doing it our way for almost ten years and dozens of cages without one failure and many rollovers.
Thanks Zach. Nice of you to chime in even though I didn't buy your product.
Do you use a sandwich plate on the bottom?
I tried looking for pics of the AtoZ installs, cause I know you've cranked out a lot of them, and have a lot of satisfied customers.
Best I can see is 2 of your 4 bolts go through that channel, the other 2 are off to the side through the single-ply floor. Maybe just a plate on the single ply side?
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #810
stealthjk
2008 JK Wrangler 

Those are all awesome cages.
stealthjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.