*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #781
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Where ever you put the gussets, make sure they are not on the center line of the tube. Put them on the edges. When in the center, they can collapse the tube and work like a shear.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #782
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Something to remember when placing gussets in a cage. Do not put them on the center line of the cage tube. Put them toward the outside edge of the tube so that when welded out, the gusset is tied into the edge of the tube. I witnessed a roll over not long ago where the gussets were on the center line of the tube. As pressure was put on the tube during the roll over, the gusset essentially cut into the tube causing it to collapse.

SCORE offroad trucks cannot use plate style gussets for this reason. They require saddle gussets.
this post was 2 pages back

Also check out this link

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...y/rollcage.htm

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #783
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
this post was 2 pages back

Also check out this link

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...y/rollcage.htm
Great link, full of great info

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #784
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok the cage build has begun....need some help ensuring the this is set up correctly. I am thinking of adding a gusset to the B pillar to the A pillar spreader as I think that is the only main gusset missing.

And this is how I plan to mount my seats and add a X to the B pillar.

Molon Labe
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #785
zachv
Web Wheeler

Mike, there is already a bit of tube in that area, but it would not hurt to throw a small 1" tube gusset where you mentioned.

BTW, it looks nice. Good job!
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #786
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv
Mike, there is already a bit of tube in that area, but it would not hurt to throw a small 1" tube gusset where you mentioned.

BTW, it looks nice. Good job!
Thanks man, I really didn't think it was going to take me this long lol! I am not wanting to pull the cage once it's back in so I need to look at ordering up some seats and five points!

Molon Labe
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #787
zachv
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
Thanks man, I really didn't think it was going to take me this long lol! I am not wanting to pull the cage once it's back in so I need to look at ordering up some seats and five points!
Take a look at the Corbeau line and e-mail/PM me what you like and I will see what I can do for you. We have had great success with the Baja series of seats and if you need a recliner the Baja RS is a great choice. For harnesses, if you are likely to roll then we suggest the latch and link connection--they take an extra few seconds to latch, but they do not come open at inopportune times like the rotary latches have been known to do.
570-385-3931--shop
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #788
shoreline
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok the cage build has begun....need some help ensuring the this is set up correctly. I am thinking of adding a gusset to the B pillar to the A pillar spreader as I think that is the only main gusset missing.
Is that an AtoZ kit? Looks great!
shoreline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #789
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
Is that an AtoZ kit? Looks great!
yup! Install was pretty straight forward minus some fitting. Love the look

Molon Labe
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #790
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv View Post
Take a look at the Corbeau line and e-mail/PM me what you like and I will see what I can do for you. We have had great success with the Baja series of seats and if you need a recliner the Baja RS is a great choice. For harnesses, if you are likely to roll then we suggest the latch and link connection--they take an extra few seconds to latch, but they do not come open at inopportune times like the rotary latches have been known to do.
That's the seats I was looking at, if you get a moment can you PM a price on 2 in blue with 2 black 5 points? Also what's it take to get them to slide? I know they sell brackets for the factory mounts but I'm looking at cage mounting them. Thanks again Zach!

Molon Labe
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #791
md_rubi

here are some teaser pics of my cage build. Eric Shearer, of Freaky Tree Off Road is building a custome cage at Adrenaline Offroad. It is just about complete but i'm holding off on the final cage pics.

md_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 02:05 AM   #792
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I need some opinions on my seat harness mount heights. Ill just put this out there...there already welded but I want to double check to ensure I didn't mess this up. According to my math and references I seem to be around 6-7 degrees with this seat up. I guess what is throwing me off is the harness bar height to the harness opening (which I don't plan to use). I seam to sit a bit tall in theses seats and if I put my head back it just hits this head rest. So....does it look like these are mounted correct? Had a friend who is 5'2" sit in the drivers seat and her shoulders were just above 1in over the top of the harness bar.

FYI I plan to throw the harness over the outside edges of the seat and not use the single opening

Molon Labe
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #793
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #794
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
seen that, just wanting to ensure I was doing it right I'm pretty sure it's correct

Molon Labe
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #795
zachv
Web Wheeler

Mike, that is fine. It could have been down 2-3" and still been fine, but you are on the right track--you want the shoulder harnesses to pull you back, not pull you down and compress your spine. The lap belts are supposed to hold you down.

BTW, I do not know who the harness straps in the seats are for--we have never used them either.

P.S. Now that you mentioned a 5'2" female we all need to see pictures of said young lady.
570-385-3931--shop

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.