*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #766
bft89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Realized after I posted the pictures that the holes and the bolts for the rear tie ins werent drilled yet. The cage is not just welded to the rear bumper/ cross member, the cross member actually comes out with the cage. The cross member bolts to the frame with four bolts on each side. The Frame tie in is directly below the 4x8 1/4 inch plate seen in the picture. The pic was taken just before I got my magnetic drill press in there to drill the holes for the bolts going to the tie in. I figured I would explain that pic before I get flamed for just welding that little bit of plate to the cross member that plate would just bend with any down force to the cage if it were just welded to the bumper / cross member like that.

Unread 03-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #767
OKRenegade
1984 CJ7 

There are so many good ideas, great how everyone building them has their own individual style.

I'm sure this has been asked already but I was wondering roughly how much linear feet of tube steel does it take to build a 6 point cage? Something that connects to to the floor/frame at the A pillar, keeps the stock B pillar, and then encapsulates the rear family style. Not with a cross member at the dashboard, top of windshield, and then the stock roll bar, and then at the rear, with 2 members running front to rear on top as a halo?

I'm thinking of building or pricing something like that for my CJ7.
OKRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #768
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Sketch out what you want. Grab a tape measure and do rough measurements on your Jeep of what you want. Take that overall length and multiply it by 2.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #769
zachv
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKRenegade View Post
I'm sure this has been asked already but I was wondering roughly how much linear feet of tube steel does it take to build ...

3-4 sticks of the main tubing you will use and then get a stick of something smaller for gussets and grab handles, etc.
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #770
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I think I've been through this whole thread and I don't remember seeing any discussion on harness mount location. I think properly designed cages and properly mounted go hand in hand. If you have improperly mounted harnesses there's a good start hands you can compress your spine in the event of a roll over.

Proper harnesses mount location.

Unread 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #771
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a whole lot of great information about properly installing harnesses: Installing Driver Restraint Systems

As well as general information on the different types of harnesses, latches, material, ect: Driver Restraint Systems
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #772
PDK
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just finished my cage with seats/harnesses and used the billavista info exclusively! Can't go wrong with him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Here is a whole lot of great information about properly installing harnesses: Installing Driver Restraint Systems

As well as general information on the different types of harnesses, latches, material, ect: Driver Restraint Systems
PDK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #773
rtbtitans50
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel05 View Post
Wow, long thread. I've been thinking about getting a cage lately. After reading this and a few other threads I'm probably going to go with the AtoZ Fabrications kit that adds onto the factory cage. After reading about the benefits of having diagonals in the main hoop (B-pillar), I want to add something like that while still retaining the ability to use the rear seat. I usually have passengers when during trips.

I stole this picture from an earlier post in this thread, the green is what I plan on adding.

I know that it isn't the best design as far as strength is concerned but it still give room for people to get to the back seat, and has to be stronger than not having anything there. The vertical sections will attach to a piece of C-channel that will be placed over the tunnel just behind the console. Any suggestions or alternative ideas are welcome.

Edit: Not that it helps the cage, but it would make a handy spot to mount some cup holders for the rear passengers too.

Was this or something like it ever done? I really didn't see much input on it. I was planning on this(or something similar) bc I need my back seat since my Jeep is my DD.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/my-first-fab-project-tj-front-bumper-1231585/#post11760786"]My First Fab Project... TJ Front Bumper[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-cold-air-intake-writeup-1306786/#post12754414"]My Cold air intake 'build'[/URL]

[B][SIZE="5"]HILLTOP O.R.V.[/SIZE][/B]
rtbtitans50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #774
Zorty
1983 CJ7 

Well I started reading the first few pages of this thread yesterday, saving pictures and notes as I go, then low and behold I've decided I need to add a little extra support to my cage while I have it out of the Jeep during some dash rebuilding. I took the time to make some fancy mark-ups of the sport cage I inherited from the PO, which is basically the CJ7 stock roll bar with a front hoop/A pillar and two spreaders on either side. Sadly this Jeep sees mainly street use, with occasional trails rides. No crazy rock crawling up cliffs or high speed mud bogging. As I go through the Jeep, it will see more and more off-road use, but that's a mindset for another thread. I'd like to keep the budget down low, and not add tubing to the point of looking more like a buggy than a classic CJ. I will always run two stock seats (tied to the body with stock risers for now), and will occasionally throw in the back seat so around town cruising. I have been planning on tie-ing the A pillar/front hoop and B pillar/ main hoop to the frame through plates and poly bushings as seen earlier in this thread. My main question, that didn't seem to be addressed in the 52 pages (whew!) of this thread was the order of preference for adding bars, as well as the direction (and function) of spreader bars connecting the middle of the front and main hoops. So starting with the pic below, marked on my cage out of the jeep and sitting on the ground, what is the order of preference for adding bars?

These three different colors represent the tentative plan on additions I would be willing to make at this point, unless you convince me I need more. I am an engineer, so I fully understand the point of triangulations, nodes, etc. I'm just looking for input from fellow Jeepers based on experience. The blue represents two spreader bars opening forward to support the front upper corners. Can I get away with just adding these two and nothing else? The green color would represent a dash bar, as I noticed in the majority of cages posted in the previous threads. I'm assuming this is to provide lateral stiffness in the front two legs going vertically down by the dash, but I do not really want to add the vertical bars running 'through' the windshield by the rear view mirror, so can I get away with not running this dash bar? While the green and blue represent bars I think I could easily add, I've added a third red color showing horizontal bars down by the floor tie-ing the front and main hoop feet/lower sections to each other. Please let me know if I should add one over the other, or if my minimal cage design tat would be acceptable leaves bars out that I'm not showing.

Now onto one more question still left in my mind- what is the best way to arrange vertical spreader bars? I'm assuming the best way seems to be in a V shape opening forward, but I've also seen two other common arrangements marked up below... let me know your throughts.

or

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Zorty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #775
zachv
Web Wheeler

The top picture is best as it provides the most triangulation where it is needed--the top of the A-pillar seems to take the most abuse.
570-385-3931--shop
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #776
Zorty
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv View Post
The top picture is best as it provides the most triangulation where it is needed--the top of the A-pillar seems to take the most abuse.
That's about what I was thinking as I looked to direct forces from those front corners. Assuming I tie A and B pillars to the frame as mentioned, can I get away with only adding those two blue tubes shown in the top, or should I also think about adding the green dash bar or red side spreaders (or any others you can think of)?
Zorty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #777
zachv
Web Wheeler

Personally, I would add those tubes and the pink ones in this image:
570-385-3931--shop
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #778
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

On the overhead bars, don't install a strait tube. Make sure it has a bend facing away from the drivers compartment.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #779
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Let's talk gussets, let's say someone was adding to the factory cage where would you place gussets? Planning on using the A to Z kit and running taco gussets to add more strength to the cage. Not 100% sure where and how many! Knowing me i would add a 45 on every corner lol Your thoughts experts?

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #780
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Double post

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.