*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #346
heinie_21

so i'm not seeing any MJ roll cages.. but then again i did see alot of red x's instead of pictures. post some mj roll cages, and if you know there are some on here already could you direct me to which page it's on GRACIAS

heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #347
heinie_21

lets see some more MJ cages! flat beds with cages
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 01:42 AM   #348
cherokee1
1996 XJ Cherokee 

im trying to get the plans going on a exterior and interior cage for my cherokee anyone got any pics or even a write up would be awsome
cherokee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #349
Fred99TJ

I am doing an Exo on my XJ but I may run a basic cage on the interior too. Just a tube going over the front and rear seats tied together. But my goal with the exo is to keep it as close as possible to the body panels and in fact even weld some of the body panels to the cage. I will be tieing the my front and rear bumpers into my sliders and it will be tied into the cage
Unread 04-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #350
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sort of surprised no one has mentioned this before, but how about the pros and cons of MIG vs TIG welds on a cage?
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #351
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just a friendly reminder ..... BUILD YOUR CAGE BEFORE YOU GO WHEELIN THIS SEASON!!

Unread 04-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #352
zachv
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy1977 View Post
I'm sort of surprised no one has mentioned this before, but how about the pros and cons of MIG vs TIG welds on a cage?
I'll bite. Do you have an opinion on this topic? We have MIG'd dozens of cages, many of them tested with no weld failures. I do not feel, in our application, that TIG welding would be a benefit or is necessary.
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #353
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

With MIG VS TIG, it comes down to practicality. There is no reason to TIG weld a cage unless you are looking for "great looking"welds. Can I do both, yes. Would I TIG a cage, NO. Mig welding is alot less time consuming IMHO and is just as strong as TIG.

On the other side of it, if TIG is the way you like to weld, then more power to ya. The welds will look a bit nicer than most MIG welds.
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #354
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Come on guys, somebody's got to have a cage project going!?! post it up, I'm probably gonna be building mine finally this summer! So post up so I can steal your ideas!
Unread 05-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #355
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
With MIG VS TIG, it comes down to practicality. There is no reason to TIG weld a cage unless you are looking for "great looking"welds. Can I do both, yes. Would I TIG a cage, NO. Mig welding is alot less time consuming IMHO and is just as strong as TIG.

On the other side of it, if TIG is the way you like to weld, then more power to ya. The welds will look a bit nicer than most MIG welds.
ya i gotto agree, theres no need to tig a cage. plus all our fits are not perfect, so i would rather fill some small gaps or bevels with mig than sit there and over heat the joint trying to fill it tig wire.

man that is a scary picture, even the simplest jeeps need a cage. even if its tied into the frame on the front and use's the factory cage in the rear.

jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #356
MetalYJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a question, ive been looking to swap to a family cage, but would actually like to keep the diag bar in the rear as well as the "family" bar, I saw one pic way back in the beginning of this thread where a guy had one like that.. But no pics on how he tied the 2 together. Would it be better to get a Fam cage and put the sports bar in or could i just add a bar to the sports cage? any answers are appriciated.
[QUOTE=Barrio;6487460] #1 BDS #2 RE #3 RC # 190,347,903,343,299 Pro Crap. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=73Dart;6964255]Jeeps do not get stuck they just have a temporary loss of forward movment potential.[/QUOTE]
MetalYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #357
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I guess the easiest would be to add the straight tube to a Family cage, but you could do it the opposite way by adding the family cage over the sport cage. Just depends if you have a bender or not. I need more info to give a better answer.
Unread 05-08-2009, 02:33 AM   #358
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've always been on the fence on the MIG vs. TIG argument. Guess what appeals to me is how clean a weld you get with TIG and no spatter. That said, a properly set up MIG welder shouldn't have a lot of spatter. Valid point on the overheating a joint. I was mostly curious to hear the other opinions out there.

Funk, I'll be getting to my cage sometime this summer I hope. I am tentatively planning to do something similar shape wise to the Hard Rock, but also add some additional bracing. A single diagonal from the B-pillar bar corner behind the passenger seat to the base of the b-pillar bar on the drivers side. Then a horizontal bar for harnesses. Neither of these should be a problem for me as I don't use a back seat. Then considering horizontal ties between a and b pillars as well as b and c pillars. Also considering a diagonal from the corner of the c-pillar all the way to the base of the a pillar at the footing of the cowl. Not totally decided yet but that's what I have in my head.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #359
tooofast
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A few photos of the A to Z cage we put in last weekend. I would buy one and do it all again if that helps anyone choose a cage... Its well worth the money if you ask me.

Dave

4" clayton long Arm, 5 inch rear stretch. CRAWLER tank. 35" KM2 muds, 1" MML from Brown Dog. Rear D44 Locked with a Detroit & trussed on Alloy Shafts, 4 point triangulation. Rear disc conversion. AtoZ Cage. Rubicon OR241 4:1. Front D30, Polly Performance Sleeve kit, locked with ARB, Alloy Shafts and HD steering linkages. Clayton belly up and oil pan skids, PSC Rocker Knockers, ORO air powerd Swayloc, Onbard Vita 450 and tank for fills and ARB compressor for the locker. Covered in dents.
tooofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #360
ace2001

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good lookin cage!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.