*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 01-21-2009, 12:34 AM   #316
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

If you look at the last pic it shows the front legs. I am using a Lincoln 180HD for the welding. Im still using flux and havnt had a chance to get the tank yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred99TJ View Post
Not bad Are there going to be legs dropping down in the front? What welder are you useing?

Unread 01-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #317
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to be putting in an AtoZ cage in the next couple months along with some extra in the rear. I was wondering what's the functional reason for the hip bars I see on a lot of the cages. It's not just to keep you inside the vehicle is it???
4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
UTmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #318
CSCmrwizard
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube yj View Post
personally i will stick with my cage being solidly attached to the frame. Even if my cage is "cookie cutter" according to the geniuses that frequent phat jeeps offroad
i would like my cage above my head not around my neck and attached to the frame and for the pic i see your cage will do what it needs to

but the cage with all the bars are cool but try getting in a fire or under water
82 CJ5
CSCmrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #319
Millerhockey11
1979 CJ5 

I have a '79 CJ5 w/ mastercraft seats that put u a lot closer to the steering wheel and takes away quite a bit of leg room. I was wondering if you have any ideas for a roll cage that will leave as much leg room as possible. Thanks!
Millerhockey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #320
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerhockey11 View Post
I have a '79 CJ5 w/ mastercraft seats that put u a lot closer to the steering wheel and takes away quite a bit of leg room. I was wondering if you have any ideas for a roll cage that will leave as much leg room as possible. Thanks!
I assume you're going to mount the seats to the cage? I would place the seats in the rig (on blocks of wood..) at the ride height you want and place/bend the tube around them. Since the seats are wide (and the Jeep is fairly narrow), there won't be a lot of options..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #321
SKT
1981 CJ7 

[QUOTE=Millerhockey11]

I have a '79 CJ5 w/ mastercraft seats...

[QUOTE]

Got any pics of how they are currently mounted?

Like BESRK said, best bet would be to tie them into your cage.

You can also notch the rear fenders a few inches for additional clearance if needed.

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #322
Jeeppsycho223
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i searched and could not find anything on these cages from arabias overkill...i am looking into getting a full cage for my YJ and ran across this site. has anyone had any experience with this company? do you get what you pay for? this cage could fit in my yj right?

http://www.arabiasoverkill.com/images/160_100_0922.JPG

http://www.arabiasoverkill.com/rollcages/cjyjcages.html

Installed: |Cummins 4BT | Checy NV4500 | 37" BFG KM2's | XRC 8 Winch | Front | custom front stinger and rear tire carier| 4 linked rear with 16" FOA coilovers |

Coming Soon: | Regear | 3 or 4 link front with coilovers | new turbo | snorkle | custom overhead console | rock lights
Jeeppsycho223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #323
genisis88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im looking for some add-ons for my stock tj roll bars....i def. dont want or need a full cage. where can i find add-ons? i cant spend a lot of money ha
genisis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #324
ace2001

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by genisis88 View Post
im looking for some add-ons for my stock tj roll bars....i def. dont want or need a full cage. where can i find add-ons? i cant spend a lot of money ha
This is just a couple of companies that have stuff. Just depends on if you want a bolt in or a weld in. There are tons of options, some cheap and some not so cheap. Hope this helps.

www.rockhard4x4parts.com/
www.orfab.com/Sportcage.htm
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/Catal...es/TJcage.html
http://www.genright.com/category.aspx?categoryID=116
ace2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #325
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace2001 View Post
This is just a couple of companies that have stuff. Just depends on if you want a bolt in or a weld in. There are tons of options, some cheap and some not so cheap. Hope this helps.

www.rockhard4x4parts.com/
www.orfab.com/Sportcage.htm
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/Catal...es/TJcage.html
http://www.genright.com/category.aspx?categoryID=116
We'll add www.atozfabrication.com to that list if you're looking for weld-on additions.
4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
UTmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #326
genisis88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

awsome...thanks
genisis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #327
Roknut
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkSkunk View Post
azsCOOBY what seats are those? I can't figure it out? Thanks
OOPS...I haven't been on this thread since I posted the pics in Dec. Anyways, those are Hunsaker seats. Very comfortable.
Roknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #328
Modfather
1980 CJ7 

Heres my cage...

The front was kicked up real high because I am a big dude and there is no way I would fit with the cage lower then the windshield line. A soft top still fits, its just real tight to get it on.

Before anyone asks, I did not build it myself. My friend did 99% of the work since he is much better at bending tube then I am, you can see some of his other jeeps in the background.
2005 Bombardier Outlander- Rode hard, put away wet.
Modfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #329
CTOffroad

What kind of tube did you use? Odd design
Unread 02-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #330
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Modfather, that's pretty interesting. At first I thought it was just too many tubes but it does have some decent triangulation and plenty of nodes to distribute the weight during a roll. I'd rather have a tube on the edge of the cage inbetween the A and B pillars to protect my head from a big rock, but it sounds like your noggin would hit it probably? It would be interesting to see how it would handle... Hmmm hey, just go flip that thing down a hill so we can see how it does! LOL nice cage, post up more pics of your buddies work

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.