*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #301
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Marten, a 110v welder should be able to do a cage since most of it is 1/8" thick. I built the entire back half of the frame/cage on an old CJ5 with a Craftsman 110v welder and flux core about 10 years ago. However, the bottom line is gonna be your ability with the welder. Only you know for sure. At the very least, practice with a few joints.. welding at different angles. Maybe even take a sawzall and cut thru a few of those joints to see how your penetration is.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #302
1Rustycj5
1980 CJ5 

BESRK, Thank you for your response I was pretty sure it had been done before but I figured I would at least make sure that Im not attempting anything that has been a complete disaster.

What type of flux-core wire did you use?

Also Im planning on doing some custom bumpers and sports cages for my friends and I found some cheep tools at HF and I was wondering if these are any good?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38024
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42324

Also what is the best way to go about tying the cage into the frame?
Remember that I have a body that has basically no stock floor supports, All custom fab.

Thanks again,
Marten
1Rustycj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #303
Fred99TJ

The best way would probably be to go throught the floor and weld to the frame. BUT What I did on my TJ and will again on my XJ is use a 4x4 plate and bolt to the floor. Then another 4x4 on the other side of the floor board (sandwitch the floorboard). Then weld a piece of tube to the bottom 4x4 plate that goes to the frame and then either weld the tube directly to the frame OR weld another 4x4 plate to that tube and bolt it to the frame.

For what its worth my entire cage was done with a Lincoln 100 and flux core wire
Unread 01-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #304
bikeboy
1982 CJ8 

cage advice

Hi Everyone,
I'm rebuilding a Scrambler for DD and weekend camping/wheeling; nothing crazy.
Here's my cage design. I'm using the large diameter tubing from CJ Roll Bars.
Do you see any weaknesses for my intended use?
Thanks.

Last edited by bikeboy; 01-17-2009 at 05:59 PM..
bikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #305
Fred99TJ

Looks like it would be pretty stout. You can run one more tube from the front drop down legs to the B Pillar (middle one) on the bottm by the floor
Unread 01-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #306
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rustycj5 View Post
BESRK, Thank you for your response I was pretty sure it had been done before but I figured I would at least make sure that Im not attempting anything that has been a complete disaster.

What type of flux-core wire did you use?

Also Im planning on doing some custom bumpers and sports cages for my friends and I found some cheep tools at HF and I was wondering if these are any good?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38024
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42324

Also what is the best way to go about tying the cage into the frame?
Remember that I have a body that has basically no stock floor supports, All custom fab.

Thanks again,
Marten
Harbor Freight sells PIPE BENDERS. What you need is a TUBING BENDER. http://www.jd2.com/

Pipe is NOT the same as Tubing. Pipe is designed to have stuff like air, water or some liquid flowing inside it. Tubing is designed to provide structural support in some application. The actual type of steel used is different, and they are manufactured differently. Use the correct type for the correct application.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #307
jason m

this is how i tied my buddy's YJ into the fame. he had a set of warn rocker panels that were made of 3/16. so i spray welded the top tube to the rocker, then bent a chunk of tube to go under it. of course its welded to the frame to, but i dont have a pic of that.

jason.
kens-cage-3.jpg   kens-cage-2.jpg  

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #308
1Rustycj5
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Harbor Freight sells PIPE BENDERS. What you need is a TUBING BENDER. http://www.jd2.com/

Pipe is NOT the same as Tubing. Pipe is designed to have stuff like air, water or some liquid flowing inside it. Tubing is designed to provide structural support in some application. The actual type of steel used is different, and they are manufactured differently. Use the correct type for the correct application.
Ya i figured that out last night, This looks like the cheapest way to go for a "tubing bender"
http://www.tjdieselperformance.com/s...-bender/Detail

Mostly because it also comes with the die and a hydraulic jack for only 319.
that dosent seem like a bad deal at all....

Also, is renting a tubing bender an option?
Unread 01-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #309
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm going to pick up some steel this week to get the back half of my cage going, is 1.75 x .12 going to look funny welded to my stock cage?
Unread 01-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #310
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldswim5 View Post
I'm going to pick up some steel this week to get the back half of my cage going, is 1.75 x .12 going to look funny welded to my stock cage?
i used 1.5 .120 wall. i think 1.75 will be plenty strong. you can see the factory cage end about half way down and i capped he ends, the 1.75should look fine.

jason.
dscn0459.jpg  

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #311
1Rustycj5
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rustycj5 View Post
Ya i figured that out last night, This looks like the cheapest way to go for a "tubing bender"
http://www.tjdieselperformance.com/s...-bender/Detail

Mostly because it also comes with the die and a hydraulic jack for only 319.
that dosent seem like a bad deal at all....

Also, is renting a tubing bender an option?
^^^ Does this seem like a good bender? its reasonably inexpensive for building a cage.^^^
Unread 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #312
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Alright the metal supply here didn't have .12 wall but they had 1.75x.095 which I think will be fine. I'm going to use the bluetorch dash tie ins to build off of, may not be as strong as a tube going to the floor but I've been informed I can't cut up my dash. Other than that I am just buying tube and making everything myself. Not planning on making any bends but I know there are a few people here that could do it if need be. Hopefully it will be done within the month, I'll post pics when it is.

Also, I looked though the whole topic and didn't see any diagonals that would still allow a backseat, can this be done?

Last edited by goldswim5; 01-19-2009 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: backseat stuff
goldswim5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #313
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

Thought I would post a few of mine. I am still doing a few thing to it and I will post those up when I am done. But this is the finished design. I pretty much just did a knock off of a poison spyder TJ cage.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 01-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #314
Fred99TJ

Not bad Are there going to be legs dropping down in the front? What welder are you useing?
Unread 01-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #315
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldswim5 View Post
nope. lots of cages made of that...including mine (post #274)
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.