*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 01-31-2008, 03:36 AM   #241
Fred99TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozoWise
Got my cage done.
Where did you get those Gussets you used on the rear? I saw them in 4 wheel and offroad but couldn't find where to buy them.

Fred99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:46 PM   #242
BozoWise
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred99TJ
Where did you get those Gussets you used on the rear? I saw them in 4 wheel and offroad but couldn't find where to buy them.
Tanner cage gussets. I had my bud at www.copperheadfab.com build me some on his plasma table also.

http://www.tannerracing.com/Chassis_Acc.htm
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #243
Fred99TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozoWise
Tanner cage gussets. I had my bud at www.copperheadfab.com build me some on his plasma table also.

http://www.tannerracing.com/Chassis_Acc.htm
Thanks for the links. Copper Head was less $$ I ordered 12 for my cage. everyone says they will be an over kill but I say $25 is no expense if it will save my life or my jeep.
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #244
Fred99TJ

These are the ones for those who are unsure what I am talking about

Unread 02-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #245
iismet

This thread has been very educational and I want to thank all of the contributors. I started the process of adding strength to the stock setup on my TJ. We threw away everything except the B hoop. Using a version of Zachs methodolgy we attached the hoop to frame. I am unsure of the strength compromise doing it this way but seems signifcantly stronger than stock.

I did not want to cut away the tub channel as I live in a muddy environment. We used a hole saw to open the cavity and fabricated an aluminum block that tightly fits around the nut cert and provides surface contact to the base plate when it is installed.

We fabricated a base plate out of 3/16', installed it under the factory foot, and tacked them together. We also reinstalled the soft top to assure there would not be any issues with the slightly lifted height.

Stitched the two plates together 4 sides.

Painted with rubberized under coating and filled open joints with body filler.

After installing, the welded nuts on the pinch weld seemed kind of comical. I drilled them out and added a third hole thru the pinch weld and fabricated this angle to sandwich the pinch weld.

iismet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #246
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

found this cage, just digging how they used a full tube to run the entire length of the jeep. Neat simple design, found it here --> http://www.overkilloffroad.net/jeff.htm
longtubecage.jpg   jeff-drivers-side.jpg  
Unread 02-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #247
zachv
Web Wheeler

That is indeed one of the best ways to run a full cage for most rigs. The challenge doing it that way for a TJ is the bend at the upper windshield location usually gets in the way of the door surrounds if the owner is still going to use them. For example, below is one we did in a TJ like that where the owner said he would not be using the door surrounds so we were able to do that, but you can see where the bend would be in the way. For YJs and CJs it is very nice to do the whole tube in one piece...as long as you can keep in the same plane of bend.

Here is the link to that picture if you want to see it bigger:
http://atozfabrication.com/gallery/d...&cat=0&pos=-18
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #248
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here's some pics of the cage currently being built in my YJ. It's still got a ways to go, and there is still quite a bit of tube to be added. I'll post more pics when it's done.

"Beat it like it owes you money"

Jeep Wrangler with some bolt-on "stuff"
Hokie_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #249
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cage is done for the most part! Just have to set it out, and do the final welding on a couple spots that we couldn't get to. Then spray bomb it and set it back in and weld it solid to the frame. Here's a few more pics. I'll have some action shots after next weekend, who knows I may even test it out.

"Beat it like it owes you money"

Jeep Wrangler with some bolt-on "stuff"
Hokie_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #250
brooksjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys I have been reading through this thread vigorously and alot of the jeeps that get pictures up are really into hardcore wheeling. My jeep is my dd and is used occasionaly on the trail, more of a weekend warrior than what most of these are. I want to build a simple cage, but tough. I want to know what size pipe to use and whether to use hollow or solid pipe. I have a welder and all the tools its just the building of the cage i get confused about. Correct me if im wrong A pillar is on the windshield B pillar is behing the seat and C pillar would be the biggest upright in the back.
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #251
BozoWise
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksjeep View Post
Hey guys I have been reading through this thread vigorously and alot of the jeeps that get pictures up are really into hardcore wheeling. My jeep is my dd and is used occasionaly on the trail, more of a weekend warrior than what most of these are. I want to build a simple cage, but tough. I want to know what size pipe to use and whether to use hollow or solid pipe. I have a welder and all the tools its just the building of the cage i get confused about. Correct me if im wrong A pillar is on the windshield B pillar is behing the seat and C pillar would be the biggest upright in the back.
Use tube not pipe as tube is structural. There are tons of arguements over types of tube but I prefer DOM. 1.75x.20 wall.

You are correct in the pillar placement.
Unread 03-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #252
jeepcj-7
1974 CJ5 

Does pillar B have to be tied into the frame??? My CJ-5 has such a small wheel base, Pillar B will be in the way of my 38.5's suspension travel. Can i brace Pillar B to Pillar A with a tube? Pillar C WILL be tied in on the frame no problem. Gussets will be use on just about all angles where i can see that the extra strength will be needed.

I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party because I like to party and I like my Jesus to party.
jeepcj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #253
CompGuru
1983 CJ7 

Does anyone know of any good/suggested fabricators in the Las Vegas area that could build me a cage? Also, what are the opinions of the Rock Hard cage kit and the Spyder customs CJ cage kit? Would it be cheaper to have one made for me or go with one of these kits? I have a 1983 CJ7.

Thanks.

Dustin.

Team Rush, Halogen Headlights, Nutter Bypass, more to come...

"There is no mechanical problem too tough that cannot be fixed by brute strength and ignorance."

"Remember, Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic."
CompGuru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #254
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

With metal prices as high as they are it's still cheaper to do it yourself or go with a local fab shop. Buying a kit is great but it may not be exactly what you want. I'm sure somebody on here knows of a good fab show out there, heck your in one of the best places to wheel in the country so I'm sure theres a decent fab shop in town!
Unread 03-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #255
zachv
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompGuru View Post
Does anyone know of any good/suggested fabricators in the Las Vegas area that could build me a cage? Also, what are the opinions of the Rock Hard cage kit and the Spyder customs CJ cage kit? Would it be cheaper to have one made for me or go with one of these kits? I have a 1983 CJ7.

Thanks.

Dustin.

Maybe try a search of fab shops near you on Pirate 4x4. There is Shaffers Offroad near Reno, but that is a little far. I think there are some hot shops near you that are closer.
Good luck.
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.