*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 09-11-2007, 06:26 AM   #211
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I'd take a tumble in that

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #212
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Throwing this out there. I have been reading and reading and reading about cages most the summer. I plan to start a project in January(ish) involving my YJ. I am currently in the process of trading for a family style roll bar but I want to turn that into a full cage.

The one thing that I have not come across is, Has anyone designed a cage with the rear seat in mind and it capable of holding two child car seats??? I have not found very many writeups that include the rear seat. My goal here is to be able to wheel it in the future with the rug rats in the back but also be able to use it as a DD for now while they are younger and still be safe. The dilema I see is, the space needed to gain access to the seat to buckle them in and past he seat thru the frame.

Any ideas, suggestions or pics of cages fabed up in this manor would be great. Thanx guys.

Rusty

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #213
AGRESIVE
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here ya go....

Family Crawler

http://ovo.ca/gallery2/v/MembersRigs/MudliteandHerJP/
Unread 09-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #214
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGRESIVE

WOW, I hadn't seen that one yet. Looks like you could easily fit two seats in that setup. Thanx for the links.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #215
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Cage is in and just about complete. The top and door surrounds even work like they used to. I'll have installed pics in a day or so.

I was a little naive in my time estimation on this - I probably have over 50 hours in including planning and scratching my head as I laid things out. This was my first big tube project though.

The things I thought would be hard actually turned out to be pretty simple, and the stuff I discounted took a whole lot longer than I imagined they would. (tie ins! )

Now for some tech:

Is there any point in switching out the body mounts for something rigid now that the cage is hard-tied to the frame? Seems like they might just be functioning as vibe dampeners now.
Unread 09-17-2007, 07:20 PM   #216
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, a few pics.

Still dont have any of the door surrounds on and top up, but everything fits.

Tom
Unread 10-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #217
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice work but you missed a spot with the spraypaint. The gray cage and frame you referenced is mine. As Zach said the X being 2" behind the b-pillar has not been a problem at all. I just rolled it again this weekend, still fine. The X mounts to the frame over the wheel wells. Your design is fine too, I just wanted to be able to unbolt it all instead of removing with a sawzall.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #218
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

I'm curious what fellow CJ owners are doing for an E - Brake Handle or clearance around the front pillar for the stock foot unit?

I've been looking for a solution other than running a Wrangler hand unit as I wanted to install a Tuffy box.

Would like to see what you have come up with, or hear any ideas. Thanks.
Unread 11-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #219
DeltaSigCJ5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Fatman. Im bolting a hand brake between my front seats. I bought a new one off of eaby for like 20 bucks and Ill join its cable to the leveling block.
Unread 11-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #220
brooksjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drottie
Cage in my '99 TJ, It's a through dash design. 6 point frame tie ins. The frame tie-ins are welded to the frame and then bolted through the tub. It used the stock main hoop and rear bars. I know this really isn't a super hardcore design but it met my needs, considerable increase in protection over a stock cage, Ease of entry/exit. Headroom for front and rear passengers. This cage works with my stock Hardtop or softop. I have my son riding in the back on some trail rides and we feel he's a lot safer now that we've put the cage in.

Do you have any trouble putting the soft top on? And did you basically weld or bolt on new tube's to the existing roll bars?
brooksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #221
brooksjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

never mind haha i didn't even read what you posted just looked at the picture.
brooksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 05:46 AM   #222
Fred99TJ

Hey guys I was surfing on here and just found this thread.

I didn't read 15 pages but I flipped through them. There are some GREAT designs on here for cages. I too just did my cage. My first attempt was given to me from a frien who competes. He rolled over backwards and it tweaked the cage enough I didn't want to use it but it is being used in a jeep now.

This is my current cage:

I know some folks don't agree with re-useing the stock center and rears but thats what I did on both my cages. They are fully welded (even the bolted sections of the stock cage are welded). The front and rear came from TrailWorks in Nashville, TN and The 3 braces in the rear and the bottom windshield spreader I added. There are also braces along the floor board that I added. I know alot of people insist on DOM for cages too. We used HREW on the second DOM on the first. I did alot of research and re-useing the stock center with DOM additions is not totally benificial. The stock Cage portions are HREW and therefor the weak link. By braceing it and makeing the rest from HREW it distributes a hit a little better. Right now just the front two legs are frame tied, but when I finish it will have 6 frame tie-un locations. I am also going to add a few gussetts and grab handles.

I know this isn't the greatest cage in existance but I definatly feel safer with it!!!!
Fred99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 10:19 PM   #223
Gearhead88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman
I'm curious what fellow CJ owners are doing for an E - Brake Handle or clearance around the front pillar for the stock foot unit?

I've been looking for a solution other than running a Wrangler hand unit as I wanted to install a Tuffy box.

Would like to see what you have come up with, or hear any ideas. Thanks.

I was going to use a hand brake , then decided to build an additional foot pedal for the existing footbrake.

Here's my cage while I was building it , I started with a YJ / 92 and up rear section and added the front , at this stage it was incomplete.

Gearhead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #224
BozoWise
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had a really hard time finding just the floor mounts to start my new cage so with the help of Copperhead fab we got some publically available now. I got the prototype brackets back from Copperhead Fab today and they fit great. I am having them change the small tab plates on the B Pillar for the production versions they are going to sell. We are going to make them with two slot holes instead of the single slot and round hole. I did have to take a die grinder and open up the round hole a bit and the slot will take care of that issue and make it more suitable for mass production allowing a bit of tolerance to tub changes or slightly tweaked bodies. The side plates weld above the bottom B Pillar plates so I have no worries about strength in this area over a bend bracket like Poly Performance uses. The problem I found is that there was no company I could locate that would sell just the mouting plates. Now Jeepers will have a source for these. I will also design some front A pillar plates once I get to bending tube.

I think the 6 piece mount set will sell for about $19.99 and by the time this project is done they will be offering more options such as the frame tie in plates that I have yet to design.

http://copperheadfab.com/index.php?a...%20Accessories

All plates are 1/4" plate.

**If anyone has some links to frame ties in done in the B pillar of TJ it would be much appreciated. The body mount and tub channel run under and to the front of this area so it is going to take some design work if I want to keep the tub factory and not cut the channel out but I think it is possible with some creativity.**

P.S. The B pillar mounts are just tack welded at the moment. I want to wait until I go up to Copperhead to use a mig with a bit more heat then my 110 volt home unit.

I also welded a bolt on my POB bracket and installed a jam nut so I can use the new Craftsman digital level when bending tube and do not have to worry about knocking it off which happened a few time with the old level.

FYI the digital levels are on sale right now at sears. I got this one because the built in laser is great for measuring out the cage design. This one was regular $49.95 down ot $34.95 the cheaper one was about $29.95 on sale.
img_0498-large-medium-.jpg   img_0497-large-medium-.jpg   img_0501-large-medium-.jpg   img_0504-medium-.jpg  
Unread 11-29-2007, 07:09 AM   #225
zachv
Web Wheeler

We used to use and make B-pillar mounts like that, but then one day we cut that "bump" off and realized that it was for the body mount and now we use this plate to tie into the frame right there:

It is a great way to get a frame tie-in with little effort.
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.